Reoccurring Dreams

edited February 2011 in Life
Does anyone else have reoccurring dreams once in a while? They're often quite scary, and I think they actually represent a fear I have IRL of being in an elevator-drop.

Basically, I find myself in an elevator. The setting changes every time I have the dream, so occasionally the elevator isn't what you'd expect - it can sometimes just be a platform which goes up and down, or it could actually be a nice looking one. Anyway, I get into the elevator almost unwillingly and it suddenly drops down at a crazy speed. I feel a really horrible feeling although I'm not sure what I can compare it to. My stomach definitely feels odd though. Sometimes I'll wake up from the dream, other times the dream will carry on into something else.

Comments

• blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited February 2011
    Around 4 years ago when I was still in highschool and had problems like social anxiety and depression and was likewise experimenting with Lucid Dreaming I had several recurring dream themes, the most prominent of which were as follows

- finding mass graves of corpses in the house I was living in

- Trying to use a gun to defend a friend or family member only to find it ineffective for one reason or another (ex. it jams up, the bullets bounce off the assailant, i point my finger and say "bang" in lieu of an actual firearm etc)

-Crossing a large expanse of black/grey water in a rainstorm precariously

I would suggest looking up Carl Jung's theories on dream interpretation and symbols (namely, archetypal images; a good book is "Man and His Symbols") and try to find out the meaning of these dreams on your own. I'm inclined to think that recurring dream symbols have specific meaning to the individual.

What is your current life situation like?
    Do you feel that you are losing control?
    Is there some event/inevitability looming on the horizon that is threatening you?
    do you feel like things are "spiraling downward"?
    or is it jsut that you are trying to go somewhere (up-on the elevator) and keep finding yourself taking steps backward (down-on the elevator)?

Hope that helps
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm. Thanks for the reply, you've given me some stuff to think about. I haven't had a similar dream for a while now and the last time I was in an elevator in my dream, it didn't drop suddenly.

My life situation is pretty much just fine, with very little anxiety issues and little worry. I often feel detached from reality but I'm not sure that has an effect on the dreams. I'll look out for the next one, and see what's crackin'.
  • edited February 2011
    How much I feel I am in control of my life can be judged pretty accurately from the dreams in which I drive or ride a motorcycle, neither of which I do regularly in real life. If I am on top of things I can putt around and it's great, if I am boozing or drugging too much, or some other factor is fucking with how I feel about the amount of self determination I have, the bike will go wobbly on a corner, or the steering will lock on the car, and I am off into the bushes.