Don't have a religion :/

SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
But I believe in God. Dunno what else. So what does it mean when someone believes in the basic principle of many religions, but doesn't know enough/relate enough to fit into one. What does the person say when asked about their religion?

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    When someone says that they believe vaguely in the concept of a god but don't identify with any set religion, I suspect they are deist.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Same here. I'm not really athiest, I believe there may or may not be a 'God', I'm ready to be swayed by any real, physical evidence. Until then, I believe that if I live life trying to be a good person, I'll go where the 'good' people go when they die.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck Religion. The only commadment "god" want's you to adhere too is to do what thou wilt.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    You explain your perspective and have a good discussion about it, and who knows what you might figure out.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in the same boat as you OP.

I'm not one to tye myself down to any one religion.

I believe there Must be something out there. That something doesn't necessarily mean a god though.

Some sort of supreme design that pertains to all life.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    Fuck Religion. The only commadment "god" want's you to adhere too is to do what thou wilt.

Love is the law love if thou wilt.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have a religion and I don't believe in God.

I still hope that there is something after death, but I know its not going to be due to one being (God). I think it would have to be just as natural as this world.

I don't know-- just a bit of hope. :o Likely nothing will happen after I die sadly and I'll be thrown into a black abyss.

I just can't think of what it would be like not living though, what would it feel like? (I know it would hurt dying.) But what would you feel afterward?

I just refuse to believe that there isn't anything beyond our life-- It just wouldn't make sense to me.

I don't know though. :(
  • SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    I don't have a religion and I don't believe in God.

I still hope that there is something after death, but I know its not going to be due to one being (God). I think it would have to be just as natural as this world.

I don't know-- just a bit of hope. :o Likely nothing will happen after I die sadly and I'll be thrown into a black abyss.

I just can't think of what it would be like not living though, what would it feel like? (I know it would hurt dying.) But what would you feel afterward?

I just refuse to believe that there isn't anything beyond our life-- It just wouldn't make sense to me.

I don't know though. :(

I think the reason that I kinda have to believe in God (even if my beliefs don't adhere to one specific religion) is because if I think that there is just a black abyss when we die then there's really no point in living and we just don't want to go to that place :p
  • white rabbitwhite rabbit Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    So then don't think that way.

Start by educating yourself on the history of religion. You can read up on Hinduism, Buddhism, Greek religions, etc.

Accustom yourself to different customs and find your place.

All in all, you are where exactly where you chose to be here and now. You can go in the route of what most would call spirituality, for me its just a seeking of higher truth.
  • EppillusEppillus Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I think the reason that I kinda have to believe in God (even if my beliefs don't adhere to one specific religion) is because if I think that there is just a black abyss when we die then there's really no point in living and we just don't want to go to that place :p

So even though you haven't been sucked into any one specific faith; you're still using 'religion' generally as an excuse not to improve your (presumably) shitty life in this world. Sounds great. Have fun with that.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    Spirituality is all about improvement.
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
    I invite you to watch "a universe not made for us" by Carl Sagan

It never ceases to amaze me how self-obsessed people are; it has been a couple years since we operated on a geocentric model, but these super-chimpanzees are basically still stuck there, thousands of years ago, thinking existence revolves around them.

1. there is no hard evidence to support a god
    2. there is no way to disprove it
    3. religion is fallacy, and in thousands of years will be vastly different if it is still thought of in the traditional sense. JUST as the religions of times past faded into obscurity, so will those abounding today..

4. Buddhism is hard-pressed to be called a religion, more of a positivist cult.

5. Get over yourself and embrace your existence
    6. born-again christians get no sympathy, only pity.. absolutely pathetic to find joy in delusion IMHO
    7. muslims make me facepalm, too.
  • AgrosAgros Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Look within yourself. Quiet contemplation will lead you to truth.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    No religion, no cry.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    what would it feel like?

The same as it felt before you were born. You were not, for a brief period you were and then you were not once more.

There is energy/matter which make molecules which make cells, these cells undergo many changes. One such change is into human form from sperm/egg reproduction. You grow as you consume other forms of energy and eventually you die. The molecules change form again and eventually are reused as energy by future animals.

That is beautiful.

There is no god, such a simple explanation repulses me. It's like asking how a clock works, the intricacies, the precision - and then someone comes along and is like "lol, god did it". Urgh.

Life is just pattern forming of molecules on a grand scale. It's amazing enough to blow your head wide open.
  • ArmsMerchantArmsMerchant Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    But I believe in God. Dunno what else. So what does it mean when someone believes in the basic principle of many religions, but doesn't know enough/relate enough to fit into one. What does the person say when asked about their religion?

Most religions share a body of assumptions, known collectively as The Perennial Philosophy. Leibniz coined the phrase, but Aldous Huxley usually gets credit for it, having written "The Perennial Philosophy," which I highly recommend.
  • DevotionDevotion Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    Caesar wrote: »

"Be what though wilt" is closer to the truth.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    The truth is everywhere and thus close to everything. ;)
    edited August 2010
    The truth is everywhere and thus close to everything. ;)

If you wish to be pedantic "Be what though wilt" is truer a statement than "Do what though wilt".
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    A state of being seems to be mostly irrelevant to me, because on another timescale it is actually just things doing their thing. A human is a cullmination of a whole lot of verbs.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Before you say you believe in God, you must be able to personally define what God is. I do not believe in the standard religious text God. But I believe there is an unknown and supreme power far beyond our (and even brandon's) understanding. We are nothing compared to that force. Nothing.

Unlike other human beings, I do not believe that God has influence or involvement in our lives. That is the true power of free will.

We ain't nothing but tricks and hoes.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    Devotion wrote: »
    If you wish to be pedantic "Be what though wilt" is truer a statement than "Do what though wilt".

That's not at all true in the context.

Also, "To be is to do."
    edited August 2010
    That's not at all true in the context.

Also, "To be is to do."

But is "To do is to be"?

I make a distinction between being and doing. A rock can do, a rock cannot be. At least not in the same manner as you and I.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Devotion wrote: »
    But is "To do is to be"?

I make a distinction between being and doing. A rock can do, a rock cannot be. At least not in the same manner as you and I.

Yeah, but a rock is right there in my driveway.
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah, but a rock is right there in my driveway.

Sure, the rock is an actual occurence. Everything that exists is an actual occurence. That doesn't mean all actual occurences are the same. In this case I am making the distinction between spiritual being, and material doing. Material can do, but only spirit can be; though both these things are actual occurences. That's what I mean't when I said "being can do, but doing cannot be". In more other words, living things can enjoy others and be enjoyed by others, but non-living things can only be enjoyed by others. Although I believe in reality there are no "others", and that it is just a cleverly decieving abstraction.