Won't get my dream job

jhthrnjhthrn Semo-Regulars
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I know I probably won't get it. I was a slacker for too long. They see gaps in employment or lack of high school education and they automatically turn down the applicant.

There's a lot of jobs I can get in my state. I'm lucky I guess, for that. Many people complain about not being able to find work, I have no problem with that. I just can't get the job I want most. The job involves lifting heavy stuff daily which I enjoy. It involves working long hours even on weekends, no days off. I enjoy that type of stuff. The pay is over 20,000 a year, which to me is great, may not seem like much to the rest of you, but when you don't have to spend any of that money and can just save it up, you can make a lot more by investing it, starting your own businesses, etc. I'd save it up for about 3 years and then buy a house, rent it to people and live in the woods while doing so, living off the land. That way I get a check each month and not have to work at all. There's other things I'd do, too.

But I guess I shouldn't think about it now. I'll have to find some job that uneducated fuckwits do, which may even have higher pay, but it'll not be close to home and won't be the best for me. It's kind of funny when people whine about mexicans stealing their jobs. I live in a state with probably more mexicans than any other and yet I haven't got any trouble finding a job. Just can't get the one I want like I said.

Life is a drag sometimes. Moral of the story: finish your education and don't be a lazy basket case.

Comments

• Ed ListerEd Lister Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Your dream job involves lifting heavy shit all day including the weekends for a grand annual salary of $20,000?

Fuck dude, get a new dream job 'cause that's a nightmare.

Besides, get a job unloading shipping containers or labouring. You'll be doing exactly that and if you can't land one of them jobs then you are fucked.
  • jhthrnjhthrn Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Yes, well most people won't understand, most people hate physical work. I'm actually smarter than most people but I don't like using my brain. My thoughts move too fast and it's depressing. I tend to think about mistakes I've made in life, lack of a love life and such. Physical work allows my brain to rest. And when you learn to enjoy working hard, it's like an orgasm.

I've always had more energy than most people. I live near a desert. In the summer it's very hot and many of you europeans would probably die of heat stroke in it but I enjoy it. The more you suffer in life, the better you can enjoy your rewards, that's how I see it anyway. So when I retire I'll move to a place with milder weather which I will enjoy even more. But I'll come back once in a while.

My main problem is there aren't many decent jobs near my home. This one would be perfect and convenient. But I fucked up my life a long time ago. So filling out the application was most likely a waste of time. I'll have to move to a city I hate to get work.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited February 2011
    jhthrn wrote: »
    Yes, well most people won't understand, most people hate physical work. I'm actually smarter than most people but I don't like using my brain. My thoughts move too fast and it's depressing. I tend to think about mistakes I've made in life, lack of a love life and such. Physical work allows my brain to rest. And when you learn to enjoy working hard, it's like an orgasm.

So, your mind does not start to wander and think about other things when you do physical work? If the work is simple enough, I thought your movements would just become automatic, and your mind would be filled with other thoughts.
  • Mr. MooMr. Moo Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    I dont understand why everyone thinks cause they are a HS dropout that they are fucked for life. Just go to community college and get an associates degree, its easy to get just go for a bullshit one and then you will have a easier time finding a job than you ever would have even if you had a HS diploma. If your making nothing anyway you will qualify for pell grants.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    Go live in a trailer some place and do any job. Save your money hidden under your bed and in a few years time, some one will steal it. You will then find a small child you can call her Hephzibah.

Also, if you like pet dogs, get a pet dog.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited February 2011
    So, you live in the neighbor state of Arizona? I can pretty much relate to the whole desert heat thing in that case.

Anyway, it should be mentioned the decision of doing what you want and being happy with it garners respect; it's pretty damn impossible nowadays to actually get a job you enjoy in it's totality. Good luck finding that job man :thumbsup:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    Jobs are overrated anyways.

look at me i dont have a job and im kick ass
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    In regards to employment gaps, just outright lie.

your friends:
    1) Self employed handyman/PC repair.
    2) worked in flea markets.
    3)furniture removalist.

basically anything were getting paid in cash is the norm, they can't verify. Most of the time they barely check anything anyway.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    Jobs are overrated anyways.

look at me i dont have a job and im kick ass
    Shit yeah, brother.

I haven't worked since last July and I hope I never have to work again.
  • edited February 2011
    In regards to employment gaps, just outright lie.

your friends:
    1) Self employed handyman/PC repair.
    2) worked in flea markets.
    3)furniture removalist.

basically anything were getting paid in cash is the norm, they can't verify. Most of the time they barely check anything anyway.

Pretty much this. It's so easy just to tell them that you fixed up computers for money, and if they for some reason need a source to confirm it then you can get a friend to speak to them.
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited February 2011
    I would stick to the whole you wanted to live in the woods things for a while that would be a pretty awesome story to tell your potential employer
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm actually smarter than most people but I don't like using my brain. My thoughts move too fast and it's depressing. I tend to think about mistakes I've made in life, lack of a love life and such.

I used to have the same problem and I was so depressed I nearly offed myself twice. I got over it though.

The trick is to just not give a fuck and find a hobby. I dove into electronics and it just took my mind off all that shit. Fuck antidepressants and the like, the true cure for depression is to get a hobby. :thumbsup:
  • aaronosteenaaronosteen Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    I'm actually smarter than most people

LOL. Your problem is that you believe this. I guarantee, if you can't even back your ass into a 20k/yr job involving heavy lifting and long weekends --> you are not as smart as you think you are.