When I say "Deep South USA"...

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
What springs to mind? I'm currently doing a module at my University on the Deep South USA and the first lecture introduced us to the term "Deep South" and how people react to it.

If I said to someone who wasn't American, "What do you think of Alabama?" they would come back with something like "It's full of Rednecks, guns, Christians and racism".

However if I were to say "What do you think of Florida?" they would say "Sun, sand, Disneyland and fit girls" even though it's the furthest Southern State in the USA.

This map explains what I'm getting at:
mapofthesouthernuniteds.png
Source - Wikipedia

So any input? Just typing my notes up from lectures and thought it was an interesting topic. The same can also be said for "What comes to mind when you think of Europe?" but I'll save that for another time.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    Your description stereotypes Alabama. So does this Top Gear video. So you're on the nail there. :thumbsup:

Florida - You missed oil spills. :thumbsup:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Lol it was supposed to be stereotypes ;) But I wondered if the reality was any different :tup:
    edited February 2011
    I guess there's always a minority or majority that are stereotype combo-breakers.
    I've never been to Alabama, Florida or the US. So I guess I'm not the best judge.
    Maybe members from these parts could share their thoughts on the matter.
    To be honest, I'm intrigued & curious now. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Alabama is actually a pretty nice state, I drove through it a couple years back. The people I met were very nice, but they were also the older generation.

Mississippi is beautiful. The cost of living is very low for a lot of the state, so you can work a chill blue collar job and still have more than enough money for you and your family. Very nice place.

Louisiana is shit.

Florida has a lot of rednecks in the panhandle, but doesn't have as "southern" a feel. This kind of illustrates it better.

Texas is very southern but a great place. We get a bad name because outside the state the vocal minority is all you ever hear, but most of us are actually decent folks.
  • edited February 2011
    I remember sitting on a train next to a Texan once. I had no idea who he was, but he began talking about how "fucked up this place is" and being a total idiot. I think you must be right when you mention the vocal minority.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Vocal minority is right. I live in the "Deep South" and honestly most social interactions I have with new people are like how Vineman described. It has to be said though the minority rednecks want and try to fit their stereotypes.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Cheers for the input, Vineman! I just finished reading the first 2 chapters of "What caused the Civil War?" by Edward L. Ayers (lolname). The intro chapter is about his life and growing up in the South with the older generation openly saying what we regard as racist terms, and how when he was younger (in the '50s) his school play would involve him being blacked up.
    Would you say as the older generation dies out, the racist undertones that some associate with the South would disappear? Or would it breed into something more trailer-trash, or completely the opposite - an increase in migration to "the North"?
  • edited February 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Would you say as the older generation dies out, the racist undertones that some associate with the South would disappear? Or would it breed into something more trailer-trash, or completely the opposite - an increase in migration to "the North"?

Somewhat. A large part of it is that for the older generation, that's what they grew up thinking. That was "normal", so it got sort of ingrained into them. Hell, my grandmother still calls people "Negroes". The younger generation looks at that and says "lol damn, that's some silly, outdated shit", so when the older generation passes it will sort of dissolve.

But also if you look at how society is evolving, it's only the backwater areas that continue to really instill these beliefs. Most of it is because you just don't see it happening, so it becomes sort of acceptable in those sort of areas. However, as cities expand and people live in more developed areas, the population becomes more liberal. We'll start to see the rural areas retract and get smaller, and with it will go a lot of unnecessary racism. Not all racism is bad, but 99.999% of it is overblown tripe. Almost every single issue that's a "racial issue" is actually an "socioeconomic class issue".
    edited February 2011
    Where I live there is a vast number of black people but racism is rarely seen outside of jokes. I make racist comments to my black friends who know I'm not being serious. One of them often sings "Don't Trust 'dem New Niggers Over There" very loudly and often.
    edited February 2011
    I make racist comments to my black friends who know I'm not being serious. One of them often sings "Don't Trust 'dem New Niggers Over There" very loudly and often.
    He sounds lol.....:thumbsup:
    edited February 2011
    Yeah he is a laugh riot. We smoke pot and play chess.

Back on track: Mississippi is known as "the hospitality state" and it actually rings true for the most part. Louisianna is totally different depending on where you are. New Orleans is a different world than Monroe. I don't frequent the other states.

I think the racism issue will eventually be null but not with the next generation. Not for some time.
  • ManifestoTHEOUManifestoTHEOU Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    What springs to mind?

siamese-hillbillies-playing-banjo.jpg
  • AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
    edited February 2011
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't really think of anything bad or stereotypical until someone says Alabama, and Mississippi. Than I just think the same old incest, moonshine, and lynchings.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    When I think of the asshole of America (the Deep South) I think of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama in that order. Of course when I think of what lurks right inside that orrifice I think of Texas.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    What springs to mind?

Your purdy mouth.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    siamese-hillbillies-playing-banjo.jpg

Dude, that is fucking awesome. I'm assuming a statue somewhere? Where?
    edited February 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    What springs to mind?

Your purdy mouth.

Oh yeah!!! Doin' the Ned Beatty squeeeeeeel!
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    oh yeah!!! Doin' the ned beatty squeeeeeeel!

squeal like a pig boy! Squeeeeeee
    edited February 2011
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    All those states are also known as the bible belt states.
    edited February 2011
    All those states are also known as the bible belt states.

This one?
    bible_belt_1.jpg

Or this one?
    Bible_belt.jpg
    edited February 2011
    :facepalm: ugh the "bible belt". I'll be glad to not reside here when the day arrives. It is getting better though. I know of at least 4 Muslim and 3 Jewish families and most of my friends aren't Christian.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think it matters where you go, there are gonna be people that fit the sterotypes.. some places more, some less.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    ima rep tx. nothing TOO country i've seen here. louisiana just sucks dick, oklahoma and arkansas a close second.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Vineman wrote: »
    Mississippi is beautiful. The cost of living is very low for a lot of the state, so you can work a chill blue collar job and still have more than enough money for you and your family.

Speaking from experience I can say....RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    My thought of the south is pretty much every stereotype out there.