mma starters advice

subliminal07subliminal07 Semo-Regulars
edited February 2011 in Life
Hey guys!recently started an intro program at a local gym...when checking the schedule i realize for now the only time i could make it would be friday afternoons as is. So Ive had a little exp. in past with martial arts and am hesitant thinking that for time being i cant devote enough time...(was wanting to start bjj) so i guess what im asking for is advice from people with exp. I also considered going with standup like muay thai until I figure something out at work as I stated im very interested and serious about getting into it.thanks!

Comments

• TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited February 2011
    Go buy some more Tapout gear.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    TSAoD wrote: »
    Go buy some more Tapout gear.

This.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited February 2011
    I was in your position, and I decided to do boxing. If you're only going once a week, it'll take awhile to become proficient at MMA fighting.
  • Mr. MooMr. Moo Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    I never got the whole MMA thing. I guess guys feel more macho when they feel they are strong enough to kick another's ass but ever since i have had my concealed handgun permit i dont really care how big you are because even chuck lidell is going to get beat by my 40 S&W. Although honestly if you want to be a good mma fighter work on your stamina. If you can outlast your opponent and make him tire easily you will win.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr. Moo wrote: »
    I never got the whole MMA thing. I guess guys feel more macho when they feel they are strong enough to kick another's ass but ever since i have had my concealed handgun permit i dont really care how big you are because even chuck lidell is going to get beat by my 40 S&W. Although honestly if you want to be a good mma fighter work on your stamina. If you can outlast your opponent and make him tire easily you will win.

Your lucky bro. In my state a concealed carry permit is almost impossible to get:mad:
  • subliminal07subliminal07 Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Hmm tapout idea sounds easy enough...haha!shit sucks man not like i wanna do the minimum shit just to say i do it. if i could ide be there every freakin day. dont wanna halfass it but guess to an extent even if it is a day a week efforts gotta play in it too. Thnks Gallow, im still gonna check it out maybe different program
  • subliminal07subliminal07 Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    And as for reasoning to do mma....honestly just want shit to do, always had an interest & really into UFC/MMA in general.wish i had ccw, illinois fuckin sucks!
  • timtim Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys!recently started an intro program at a local gym...when checking the schedule i realize for now the only time i could make it would be friday afternoons as is. So Ive had a little exp. in past with martial arts and am hesitant thinking that for time being i cant devote enough time...(was wanting to start bjj) so i guess what im asking for is advice from people with exp. I also considered going with standup like muay thai until I figure something out at work as I stated im very interested and serious about getting into it.thanks!

Try to find Bruce Lee's Fighting Method and read it through. Good read and you will learn a thing or too about keeping yourself in shape and shit.

Definitely something I need to read again, I've been out of mma/any physical activity since i messed up my shoulder last january.
  • AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly I did a little jiu jitsu and judo so I might help a little.

When you're on your back always try to shrimp out to a better position. Shrimping works to get you to a better spot from just about every position on your back (except maybe when you're mounted). When in doubt, shrimp out.

The basic defense against a kimura is just to roll onto the side of the shoulder being attacked. There will be know pressure on the shoulder if you do this.

Learn a few really good unique submissions, like anaconda choke, darce choke, or gogoplata for example. Memorize them really hard and pull them out frequently. Most guys won't know how to defend them.

Position before submission. Remember sometimes it's easier to get a submision from side control than from mount.

If a guy turtles up (this happened alot in judo) just stand over his body, wrap your arms around him, and roll over onto your back pulling him on top of you. he will be on top of you but at least you will have his back to choke him. Since its an mma class you could also just wrap one arm around him and keep your legs on one side, keep your weight on his body and punching him in the face with the opposite arm. Don't punch hard in training though.

On the other hand, if he's back mounted on you, roll over onto your back with your feet planted on the ground, slide your body up as much as possible, and roll over into his guard. It works best if you're a tall and skinny guy like me, and you have to be fast about it.

Wind sprints are the best cardio exercise you can do for any fighting style.