How does a car-bomb work?

edited March 2011 in Man Cave
You hear things in the news regarding people placing explosives in a car which are rigged to explode when the engine is fired up, but how do they work? I'm pretty interested in the idea of timed explosives and rigging things up in a particularly clever manner, so this would be a good thing for me to know :D

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited March 2011
    Ask Dfg. he shouldd know.
  • edited March 2011
    That sounds very possible to me, although I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing. What about the location of the explosives? Where would they have to go for the best explosion? :D
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd put it next to the fuel tank :D
  • edited March 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I'd put it next to the fuel tank :D

That's the thing - wiring an explosive device from a spark-plug wire all the way to the fuel tank... Is that even possible? And if it is, how effective would it be?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    That's the thing - wiring an explosive device from a spark-plug wire all the way to the fuel tank... Is that even possible? And if it is, how effective would it be?

Doesn't seem to be the most sensible thing to do though :o

In movies, they usually just stick it in the engine somewhere.
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited March 2011
    If the charge is large enough, on the fuel tank would be best, because you'd disperse the gasoline and get secondary incendiary effects after the blast.

As for initiating the charge, it would be as simple as building a traditional electric blasting cap with a primary HE (Secondary base charge optional) and electric match, and wiring it in parallel with the vehicle's starter motor. Turn the key, and 12V DC is sent to the e-match. The nichrome wire heats up and ignites the pyrogen, in turn detonating the primary and initiating the booster and main charge. Big boom.

A proper car bomb would probably need 20kg+ of explosives to be effective.
  • edited March 2011
    Jesus LordWorm, thanks for the information - you should throw that shit into a guide or something :D

What's the best explosive to use, and how long would this take to wire up?
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited March 2011
    Take a high explosive with a christmas bulb igniter and primary explosive in a straw for the blasting cap, attach around 4ft of speaker wire to the christmas bulb and the other end to the brake light's wire. Then attach explosive to gas tank. As soon as they step on the brakes, yell "Allah Akbar!!!".
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Just rig it up, hop in there and turn the key...we'll know how well you did when we see what's left of you on the 5 o'clock news.
  • edited March 2011
    Take a high explosive with a christmas bulb igniter and primary explosive in a straw for the blasting cap, attach around 4ft of speaker wire to the christmas bulb and the other end to the brake light's wire. Then attach explosive to gas tank. As soon as they step on the brakes, yell "Allah Akbar!!!".

Rigging the brake lights is actually another cool idea - would this work or wouldn't there be enough power there to make a good enough spark? I wish I wasn't such a retard where explosives are concerned :facepalm:
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Jesus LordWorm, thanks for the information - you should throw that shit into a guide or something :D

A guide could be made, but I'm not so sure I want to link my name to something that could be used by actual terrorists to kill people, even if it's written in a purely hypothetical sense.
    What's the best explosive to use, and how long would this take to wire up?

The best explosive would be whatever you can get your hands on in large quantities. If it were me (Which wouldn't be the case, since I'm not a terrorist), I'd probably use about 25kg of standard ANFO made from fertilizer grade ammonium nitrate and No.2 fuel oil, boosted by 500g or so ANNMAl, and detonated by a No.6 or No.8 equivalent blasting cap.

Wiring wouldn't take long if you have the right equipment, but for most vehicles, you'd need to open the hood to access the starter assembly, and that could prove to be a pain in the ass if you were trying to rig a random vehicle to explode.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »

The best explosive would be whatever you can get your hands on in large quantities.

The arabs love to fills cars with artillery shells.
  • edited March 2011
    Alternate idea: Explosives in driver's seat if you can get in, or under the car right next to the door if you can't. Wire a switch in and just rig it to the door so opening the car door closes the switch.
  • edited March 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • ImmaChrgnMaLAZRImmaChrgnMaLAZR Regular
    edited March 2011
    It explodes

This.
  • edited March 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    Ask Dfg. he shouldd know.

Beat me to it :p
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    All these questions make me think that SOMEONE SHOULD WRITE A FUCKING GUIDE.
    That said, the basics are covered in my IED guide, and just the simple fact you can rewire a car so that the ignition sparks inside a petrol canister = BOOM.

Not too difficult. Especially if the Irish can do it.
  • edited March 2011
    Where is this IED guide of which you speak?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    Where is this IED guide of which you speak?

All 4 parts are linked in the "how to" section of this thread.
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=9962
  • edited March 2011
    Or, you could read the nicer looking version which can be found in the CMS, by clicking here!

http://www.totse.info/cms/how-to-make-an-improvised-explosive-device-IED