Reinvent yourself my ass.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited April 2011 in Life
Why don't you just grow a new one.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/big-idea/organ-regeneration-text?source=link_fb20110307organs

The made a functioning piece of liver, and kidneys.

Crazy shit.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I always wanted to get into that sort of research as a career when I was younger.

They're doing such incredible things.
  • AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
    edited March 2011
    Genetic medicine is def one of the most amazing fields of research going on these days. It would be even better with advanced nanotech and AI technology to go with it, but that's still in the realm of science fiction.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited March 2011
    yup all those aborted fetuses wont go to waste after all

Go! Cells. This is creepy shit btw how long before this is the Genetic Opera?
  • edited April 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    yup all those aborted fetuses wont go to waste after all

Go! Cells. This is creepy shit btw how long before this is the Genetic Opera?

1) You don't know they won't go to waste, give Republicans sum cred ;)

2)Boo Genetic Opera... Go Repo Men!!!

2906232125_small_1.jpg
    No, but srsly dude, YOU'LL ALWAYS BE REPO!!!
  • edited April 2011
    I wonder how many decades it will take for this to become a standard procedure for more complex human organs. I also wonder how long those organs will last once grown; 50 year old cloned DNA isn't exactly the most desirable of templates.

As for embryonic stem cells... it will certainly be a long time before they serve any standard medical use, at least for a non-donor recipient.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder how many decades it will take for this to become a standard procedure for more complex human organs. I also wonder how long those organs will last once grown; 50 year old cloned DNA isn't exactly the most desirable of templates.

As for embryonic stem cells... it will certainly be a long time before they serve any standard medical use, at least for a non-donor recipient.

Don't think it matters much, considering you can just have a new one throw in every few years. Until you get to a point of being too old for surgery to be safe.
  • edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Don't think it matters much, considering you can just have a new one throw in every few years. Until you get to a point of being too old for surgery to be safe.

That would make for an impressive healthcare bill.