Loophole in retail stores(regarding video games)

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited July 2010 in Man Cave
Hi everyone! I am new here and honored to be in the Totse community. I feel like I need to share information, so i will share an experience i had in retail.

This only works in California.

California(and maybe other states, i have forgotten) passed a state law saying that ANYONE who has 5 dollar gift cards or store credit can be redeemable by cash to the respective store. So...How is this a loophole?

If you go to a video game section in a retail store(like T0ys are US) there are often deals like "Buy one get one free", So given that there is a situation like this..

Buy any game you want, but the REAL game you want, you are getting it through the "Buy one get one free" deal. So you buy the game, couple of days later..

Go back to the store, return the game, Since most of the time, you can either get store credit or gift cards, ask for whatever the return money is....in 5 dollar gift cards!! Your reason in doing this could be because of a birthday party goodie bag. next day, redeem all the gift cards so you can get your cash back.

So to sum it all up, you just got a FREE game with all your money back. =/ can't keep the one you purchased of course. I hope this proves useful.

Comments

• muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    If I lived in CA i'd do it everyday. Welcome to Bad Ideas and Totse
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't play games. /hardcore

I think this loop hole could obviously adapted many more gift card frauds.

But at last, I am also not currently residing in your great state.
  • JayJay Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Interesting. Wish I lived in the states so I could try it out. Shame.
  • Issue313Issue313 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    When you return BOGOF items I'm pretty sure they want both items back.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Unfortunately, clerks aren't stupid enough to not ask for a receipt. Which should state the [2] games you bought for the price of one.

Many chasiers will refuse to pay you in giftcards and will only hand you cash. Asking for giftcards just makes it blantant you have something fishy in mind and the manager might go with the clerk and hand you back with what you originally paid for; cash.

Edit: I'll try this on Labor Day here.
  • ShadyLadyShadyLady Locked
    edited July 2010