Suggested Reading: You ARE that dumbass who blew off his hand. NSFW

My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
Most people will think they are too smart to be hurt by something they made.
You are not smarter than your creations. They are not logical beings capable of being reasoned with, and they will have no prejudice or sympathy for who they injure, maim or kill.
Seeing a device through from the ground up may give you a lot of confidence in understanding it, but it's very hard to actually visualize what the likes of an m80 will do if it went off in someone's hand (even after it physically happens, which I have had the misfortune of witnessing).

Inexperienced hobbyists have the benefit of uncertainty going for them. With more experience, you tend to see your projects as less of a threat. Without fear keeping you in check, you are more likely to make mistakes and cause an injury to yourself or others.
Evrything has destructive potential, from a simple KN03/Sugar smoker to a mass of ANFO.
Burns can make life difficult, losing fingers can completely change the way you live, and death is game over. With proper respect, you may never have to suffer any of these at the hands of this hobby.

But, fuck what I have to say. I can write all day, and still not get the point across nearly as well as pictures of other people's accidents (no disrespect to the victims), so here goes:

fireworkhand.jpg
64898d1246625322-firework-injury-m80injury1.jpg
injury11.jpg
Hand_sew.jpg
Explosiveinjury5.html
tcer037.jpg
SMOKsmll.jpg
smokesmll.jpg

Feel free to post your own warnings/pics/vids or stories. I want this thread to unnerve you all for your own safety's sake. ;)

CIMG5017.jpg
Love your hands.

*most pics sourced from http://nobombs.net/brucel/explosivegraphics.html

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I am never touching a match box again :eek:. Thanks for the generous contribution and congrats on becoming a mod.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, Dfg.

... and that brings up the question, how DO you terrorists explode the suicide bombers? Matches seem a bit awkward. I would think a timer or remote detonating setup seem a bit extravagant and defeat the point of a manned explosive. Maybe a ghetto e-match rig? lol :P
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, Dfg.

... and that brings up the question, how DO you terrorists explode the suicide bombers? Matches seem a bit awkward. I would think a timer or remote detonating setup seem a bit extravagant and defeat the point of a manned explosive. Maybe a ghetto e-match rig? lol :P

We have special match sticks. Before blowing ourselves we kneel and then someone goes behind our bakcs and lights the small wire located just above the hip. They mostly finger your asshole to let you know it's active. Then we just run towards the target and hope the fire doesn't go off.

Most failed bombings were result of water. If someone throws water there is a chance the fuse won't work.

Nowadays they just gang rape the guy and send him packing with explosive material attached to him. Using mobile they detonate the bombs or a simple switch located at the hand or chest does the job.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well that shit is just fucked up. Yeah... I've always known to be very, very careful when handling explosive mixtures, but then I'm not as much of a hobbyist as some.

I have had a few close calls when stoned though. Glass shrapnel and such... :rolleyes:
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    This reminds me of Inspector Gadget, the movie, where Dr Hook or whatever is like blahblah blah you have no chance
    then inspector gadget is like "you blew up my car. I really loved that car"
    n dr hook retorts "you destroyed my hand. And I really loved that hand" :D

but yea no body blow up their hands pl0x, totse is a place of love not disfiguring injuries.
  • Death SnuggleDeath Snuggle Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    God damn it.... I need to find that page way back from Totse. It had some of those exact images IIRC, but I really just want to find the ancient pic of the little kid who was chewing on a blast cap when it went off. Brutal picture, but it's amazing what human anatomy looks like after being through suck insane trauma.
    edited July 2010
    I don't know if this is the exact page Totse linked to, but I linked a page where I got most pics from in my OP: http://nobombs.net/brucel/explosivegraphics.html

And you might be talking about this pic, found on that website:
    Injury3.jpg
    http://nobombs.net/brucel/explosiveInjury3.html

It's a brutal pic, but I thought it could go without posting. I don't think any of our members are stupid enough to stick blasting caps or any other explosives in their mouths.
  • Death SnuggleDeath Snuggle Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Nice, but not the old one. It was a bright blue background with all the pics listed on the page and a summary of what happened.

That isn't the same pic either. It showed the entire body and he was just missing his lower jaw and tongue.

I've found that scaring the living shit out of someone when it comes to explosives/weapons, is almost always the best option versus the other option.

We don't know how many people have little brothers or sisters running around.

Too bad I don't know where that image of a guy being reassembled on a blue tarp by medical examiners after and accidental detonation of a pipe bomb.
    edited July 2010
    Another, but it's been debated as fake:

27516d1227937789-suicide-m-80-firecracker-03.jpg
    firecracker1.jpg
    27517d1227937798-suicide-m-80-firecracker-04.jpg
    27514d1227937776-suicide-m-80-firecracker-01.jpg
    We don't know how many people have little brothers or sisters running around.

God forbid! :eek:
    Hurting yourself is one thing, but I can't imagine how shitty I'd feel if a kid got hurt.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a feeling that several Totse text files have caused hands to turn into this.
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    For some reason, I saw pictures like these, then decided to start making HEs.:o

Then I realized how much I loved my fingers. Also, explosives drove my mom insane.

Anyone here ever concentrate sulfuric acid by boiling off the water? It took me years to realize that if I had spilled it on myself, everything between my chest and groin would have been destroyed by chemical burns. Like, my dick, disintegrated, into shriveled loose skin and bloody puss.....
  • edited July 2010
    Well... This definitely makes me think twice. No three times before I start fucking around. I don't know if this thread was back at V1 of &T, but I like it.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    You have no idea how much more careful and paranoid I am when I handle AP now (And people said I was overly-cautious before). Good thread.
  • stupid noobstupid noob Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, this brings back so many memories. I remember the first time I saw some of those pictures 9 years ago. There are some missing from that set. I wish I still had all my pyro files. I've had a few accidents myself, the worst being shrapnel from a ram rod, I stupidly lit the end that had some APPN on it after packing it in to detcord. I guess there was a little inverted nipple, so some got caked in, it pretty much blew out the bit of metal there was to blow out and shot it straight in to my fucking palm. It's still there.

I was always safe as fuck, it was just a stupid mistake, I wasn't even thinking. Even if you are as safe as you can be, you need to be prepared for accidents. Know what to do, and have materials handy that might help you in any bind, whether it be a water to quench a runaway nitration, first aid kit for burns and cuts, whatever you might need, think ahead, plan for the worst. Of course a gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure. I just snorted a quarter gram of prevention an hour ago, that shit's fucking bomb yo.
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, this brings back so many memories. I remember the first time I saw some of those pictures 9 years ago. There are some missing from that set. I wish I still had all my pyro files. I've had a few accidents myself, the worst being shrapnel from a ram rod, I stupidly lit the end that had some APPN on it after packing it in to detcord. I guess there was a little inverted nipple, so some got caked in, it pretty much blew out the bit of metal there was to blow out and shot it straight in to my fucking palm. It's still there.

I was always safe as fuck, it was just a stupid mistake, I wasn't even thinking. Even if you are as safe as you can be, you need to be prepared for accidents. Know what to do, and have materials handy that might help you in any bind, whether it be a water to quench a runaway nitration, first aid kit for burns and cuts, whatever you might need, think ahead, plan for the worst. Of course a gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure. I just snorted a quarter gram of prevention an hour ago, that shit's fucking bomb yo.

I remember you saying something about that accident. The metals still in there?:eek:

Reminds me of the time I packed an HMTD blasting cap with a "ramrod" that sounds similar(had a small indent, just enough for a tiny bit of the compressed powder to get stuck in it). Well, a while after I had put everything away, my friends came over, but the ramrod was still sitting there. My friend packs and lights a bowl. Then she(yeah, a girl did it, kind of making it even worse....) tried poking some of the embers with the end of the ramrod. Good thing it was in a metal bowl(didn't shatter the way glass would, it just wasn't that much), because the shit went off and scared the fuck out of her. She was pretty pissed.:o
  • stupid noobstupid noob Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    BungHole wrote: »
    I remember you saying something about that accident. The metals still in there?:eek:

Reminds me of the time I packed an HMTD blasting cap with a "ramrod" that sounds similar(had a small indent, just enough for a tiny bit of the compressed powder to get stuck in it). Well, a while after I had put everything away, my friends came over, but the ramrod was still sitting there. My friend packs and lights a bowl. Then she(yeah, a girl did it, kind of making it even worse....) tried poking some of the embers with the end of the ramrod. Good thing it was in a metal bowl(didn't shatter the way glass would, it just wasn't that much), because the shit went off and scared the fuck out of her. She was pretty pissed.:o

Yeah dude it sounded like a .22 going off inside my apartment. Fucking blinded me for a minute. I was running around holding my palm out while it spurted blood all over the walls with every beat of my heart. Then, the Dr. made me clean it myself, and said to just leave it in there.

I told them it was a fireworks accident. I won't bother wasting my time at a hospital next time unless it's serious. I've done a few things myself instead of hitting the hospital, lidocaine injections in an infected tooth to avoid paying a $400 hospital bill. Totally worth whatever I had to go through self injecting in to my gums.
  • TillouciferTilloucifer Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    stupid noob doesnt bleed. its been a minute man, how are you? i was /av/ back before the original &T got shut down. remember me?