How to use a PS3 controller with a computer (and emulate a 360 controller) [Published

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
A bit of an introduction

If you're anything like me, you think racing games are brilliant. There's just something I love about driving a car around a racetrack, or smashing head on into a bus. I also love my PC, and I've chosen to use my PC for gaming instead of buying a console. It's been this way for a few years now, and although I never really had any complaints, I noticed that using a keyboard for playing racing games wasn't the best idea. Buttons are either on or off with a keyboard, meaning you can't steer properly like you can with a joystick on a controller.

It's not just racing games, either. A whole range of other platforms also suffer from this problem, and I find games such as Grand Theft Auto or beat-em-up's much easier to play using a controller. Can't say the same for FPS though, as everyone knows that PC pwns FPS games through the roof. Anyway, enough of the introduction - I'm going to show you how to get a PS3 controller working on your computer, and how to emulate an Xbox 360 controller so you can play all your Windows games :D

Basic Setup
  1. Head over to Motioninjoy and download the appropriate exe file, depending on your system.
  2. Don't follow the guide on the site. The drivers are signed now, and you don't need to follow the stupid x64 instructions!
  3. Once you have installed the application, leave it closed for a second.
  4. Plug in your PS3 controller through the USB port. Windows should do it's thing, and install some device drivers.
  5. Next, open up DS3Tool! You should be presented with the "Driver Manager" screen (if you're not, just browse there manually).
  6. Press the "load driver" button, and wait for the computer to do it's thing.
  7. Hit the "Home" button, and your controller should be connected! I now advise you to calibrate the buttons and joysticks.

How do I emulate an Xbox 360 Controller?

Just click the option for Xbox 360, and then hit the "Enable" button. You can also set up the mapping for the buttons using the options menu.

How do I calibrate the analog sticks?

See the button at the bottom of the Home screen which says "Game Controller Panel"? Click it, and run through the wizard.

Let's play some games!

Yeah, go do that. Just make sure that when you run the game, you configure your controller while you're in game as well! If you forget to tell the game you're using a controller, you won't be able to play.

Added to CMS by Trx100

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    Nice guide thanks. What I would really like to figure out is how to run Xbox or PS3 games with a keyboard and mouse.
  • edited January 2011
    Actually, you CAN run 360 games with a keyboard and mouse by using something called an XFPS 360 adapter. You can even connect a PS2 controller to it :D
    edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    Yup, that's the one. You could probably pick one up on Ebay for a cheap price, although a quick look around on Google shows some with fairly high prices :(

Would be a great accessory for FPS gaming though, you'd be able to headshot a LOT easier.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I just saw one on eBay for 59 bucks.

I was into FPS big time from TFC to DoD up to about BF2. But the console controls suck hard for FPS so I never play them on my kids xBox.
  • edited January 2011
    If you're willing to spend 59 bucks on one then I'd definitely say it's a worthwhile purchase, especially as the Xbox controls suck so much. You'd be able to aim quicker, shoot more accurately, etc. I'm not sure how you'd map the buttons to the keyboard though as there wouldn't be any in-game options for it. This means you could be stuck with a shitty button configuration, or something.

I think I need to read up on this more.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    I got my 360 and the Atlona HD620 so I could play it on my iMac but using the gamepad is unbearable. I might have to check this XFPS 360 adapter out.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend 59 bucks on one then I'd definitely say it's a worthwhile purchase, especially as the Xbox controls suck so much. You'd be able to aim quicker, shoot more accurately, etc. I'm not sure how you'd map the buttons to the keyboard though as there wouldn't be any in-game options for it. This means you could be stuck with a shitty button configuration, or something.

I think I need to read up on this more.

I have a Nostromo Speed Pad I wonder if that would work with this adapter...?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I just saw one on eBay for 59 bucks.

I was into FPS big time from TFC to DoD up to about BF2. But the console controls suck hard for FPS so I never play them on the xbox my mom bought me

ftfy
  • edited January 2011
    I have a Nostromo Speed Pad I wonder if that would work with this adapter...?

I have no idea what that is, but as long as it fits into one of the ports on the adapter than I assume it would work. If there are extra buttons on it then I don't suppose they'd work though.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's really hard to get it all working with bluetooth. For this reason, I didn't include that stuff in the guide.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited March 2011
    "as everyone knows that PC pwns FPS games through the roof"

highly highly disagree
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Technophiliacs & Technophiles
    CMS Status: