Lets enable thanks

LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
edited March 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I think its about time to enable thanks.

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited March 2011
    For what?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to thank your post, but there is no function to do so :(

Please enable thanks.

kthxbai
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited March 2011
    fuck thanks, we need Rep
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Fuck both. We need a FUCK BUTTON!

But honestly, NO!
  • edited March 2011
    I've never seen the point in it. After all, if you want to say thanks to someone then what's stopping you from just writing it out in a post?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2011
    A thanking system will absolutely deteriorate the quality of the posts here.

A lot of people will focus on getting out cynical one-liners and subsequently destroy the thread.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    Lets not.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, lets.

Good, its settled.

Seriously though, your arguments against it are retarded. If anything thanks encourage people to put more effort into whatever it is they are doing.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    no then we will need a

you're welcome button.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited March 2011
    I think its about time to enable thanks.

No thanks.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    AFAIK it's an add-on and doesn't come standard. Fuck rep and fuck thanks. Both are a decent system that goes straight to shit when you try to actually implement something useful like that on the Internet. There is no type of good/bad system in existence that isn't complete bullshit and not work as intended. YouTube even admitted this was one of the hardest parts to maintain as part of there service. Give people 5 stars and they'll either vote 5 or 1, thumbs up or down where's the sorta at?

Any who I'm not going to rant about the bullshit that failed on Zoklet when they tried the stupid idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the beginning we took a NRA "over my dead body" standing with both of those ideas. Never gonna happen...period.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited March 2011
    We need a [Swifty] button.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    AFAIK it's an add-on and doesn't come standard. Fuck rep and fuck thanks. Both are a decent system that goes straight to shit when you try to actually implement something useful like that on the Internet. There is no type of good/bad system in existence that isn't complete bullshit and not work as intended. YouTube even admitted this was one of the hardest parts to maintain as part of there service. Give people 5 stars and they'll either vote 5 or 1, thumbs up or down where's the sorta at?

Any who I'm not going to rant about the bullshit that failed on Zoklet when they tried the stupid idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the beginning we took a NRA "over my dead body" standing with both of those ideas. Never gonna happen...period.

^This.

I am NOT going to implement those systems. Sorry.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    no then we will need a

you're welcome button.

and a "thanks for making me feel welcome" button.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011

How exactly did it fail? Why not make a poll on this and let the community vote if they want it or not. then if it's voted no we dont implemented it but if the majority want it we should add it.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    ^This.

I am NOT going to implement those systems. Sorry.

Thank god. The rep system was a decent way to gauge post quality for about a week when it was first implemented. Then it just turned into a gigantic circle jerk, and posting was less about discussion and more about getting a +1. I was happy to see it go.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    How exactly did it fail? Why not make a poll on this and let the community vote if they want it or not. then if it's voted no we dont implemented it but if the majority want it we should add it.

Well, from the beginning it was openly discussed and came to the conclusion that it wasn't realistic to add. This place was started as a cross between keeping the old (Totse) platform while not becoming Zoklet putting this place somewhere in-between modern and retro. It was fairly open IIRC and the idea was generally not liked. I'll have to re-check that though once I get some more time.

Not to mention, not everything needs a community vote. Totse.com, Totse.info, Zoklet or what have you should be ran by a team that knows what the fuck they're doing and see generally a same direction to take things while being community driven, not community ran.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    A thanking system will absolutely deteriorate the quality of the posts here.

A lot of people will focus on getting out cynical one-liners and subsequently destroy the thread.
    ^This.
    Thank god. The rep system was a decent way to gauge post quality for about a week when it was first implemented. Then it just turned into a gigantic circle jerk, and posting was less about discussion and more about getting a +1. I was happy to see it go.

^This too.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    No thanks.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Well, from the beginning it was openly discussed and came to the conclusion that it wasn't realistic to add. This place was started as a cross between keeping the old (Totse) platform while not becoming Zoklet putting this place somewhere in-between modern and retro. It was fairly open IIRC and the idea was generally not liked. I'll have to re-check that though once I get some more time.

Not to mention, not everything needs a community vote. Totse.com, Totse.info, Zoklet or what have you should be ran by a team that knows what the fuck they're doing and see generally a same direction to take things while being community driven, not community ran.

This is spot on the money. Think about it for a minute. If anything was ran by simple will/whim of a simple majority policies and decision would be made and reversed willy nilly with no direction or purpose. What the simple majority wanted today could be overturned in a month or two by the simple acquisition of new members with a different opinion. Now that is just if things are left to chance. There exists on the internutz certain types who could and would easily abuse this via proxies/VPN that could create multiple accounts just for the purpose of changing simple majority opinion on any given issue. So community driven is the perfect description and approach as LSA King has said.