Anonymous No More

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Times are changing; thanks to rapid increase in social network it's harder to keep yourself anonymous on the Internet. I just listened to Economist Technology section and one of their articles talked about Facebook and other companies. It turns out they're ways to track users and in short get real information about them.

Consider this, you're using Facebook and you browse the Internet while logged each website you visit is being saved in your history. Now, if you visit any website which features a Facebook like button, fb will be notified about your visit regardless of what you do. If you press the like button it will update your profile.

This doesn't sound that bad but Facebook has long be accused of selling information to other companies, what's worse about Facebook is that most people use real names. So, what the websites are seeing is a person who has a name and a phone number along with other personal details and whatever you're doing on those websites, it will be logged and used for more personal targeting.

What these means for totse is, if you’re using Facebook and continue to browse websites with Facebook integration you're just leaving a clear digital footprint for others to follow. This same applies to Google as well.

If you want to remain free, MAKE FUCKING SURE TO USE ANOTHER BROWSER FOR FACEBOOK. It would be bad if you got linked to totse.info using your Facebook or other account. I was going to add a Facebook integration feature but after reading and listening about this, it seems the last thing to do.

The Internet should remain anonymous but the companies running the services want more control and want to know you more. Hell, even Google now asks for mobile phone verification and that my friend is fucking unfair on top of that, Facebook forces you to reveal more about yourself. At least twitter isn't being a bitch but it’s best if you remain cautious.

Oh, btw don't trust any online store. They're rat bastards like Amazon.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Noscript is capable of blocking Facebook features on other sites, which is pretty cool. I don't know what the fuck Facebook is up to, but it's pretty scary to think about it. They could be doing anything with our information. They're probably up to something big. Same could be said for Google really, or any of the big organizations. I might contact Facebook and get them to show me exactly what information they're currently storing on me, as you're allowed to view your own personal information under request.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited March 2011
    I may delete my Facebook account now, it's not particularly useful anyway.

What does Amazon do?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Just another reason I am glad I don't use it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I found this on canv.as
    Pretty darn true.

645348f65147f9664f0253a.jpg

When Uni is over this year I will be making a troll account with no accurate details and certainly no photos which is logged into/created with a proxy or 2. That won't do shit though, unfortunately. Just download all your data and delete it. Then wait the however many months it takes to get rid of the data on their server. Unfortunately my job dictates social networking, as I look after people and it's an easy way to get in touch. I think &T should set the "anonymous standard" and make a comprehensive guide, which is kept on the downlow, on how to stay anonymous online - or at least as anon as you can be. There are guides for TOR etc, but make a fully comprehensive one.
  • SpeedbagsSpeedbags Regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish more people thought the same way the person who made that picture did.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited March 2011
    RemadE wrote: »

645348f65147f9664f0253a.jpg

I think &T should set the "anonymous standard" and make a comprehensive guide, which is kept on the downlow, on how to stay anonymous online - or at least as anon as you can be. There are guides for TOR etc, but make a fully comprehensive one.

This.

I just had to keep the picture in because it's so true.
  • edited March 2011
    If anyone can find a torrent/streaming video of the British documentary called "Erasing David", then I strongly recommend watching it. He's a retard at some times, but the information they give you about what companies can actually keep on any individual is scary shit.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited March 2011
    This is why I don't have an active Facebook or MySpace account. Also I share the name of a famous person so that helps.

That picture rings too true.
  • ThrillavanillaThrillavanilla Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Yeah but there is no way for them to prove that YOU were the one that visited totse. Just say someone else was using the computer
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah but there is no way for them to prove that YOU were the one that visited totse. Just say someone else was using the computer

That's the thing. I'm not gonna doubt that they're watching me right now. They can see my computer screen, they're watching/logging my every keystroke and mouse movement. They can see me inside my room, right now. They know what I've written on the paper in front of me. They can see the individual fibers of the paper which I wrote on. They can see the fibers which make up those fibers.

They're everywhere!
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    Just another reason I am glad I don't use it.

This fosho ^ :mad:
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    [vimeo]21272965[/vimeo]
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha....:D ^
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited March 2011
    Facebook to Share User's Home Addresses, Phone Numbers with External Sites

Facebook will be moving forward with a controversial plan to give third-party developers and external websites the ability to access users' home addresses and cellphone numbers in the face of criticism from privacy experts, users, and even congressmen.

Facebook quietly announced the new policy in a note posted to its Developer Blog in January. It suspended the feature just three days later following user outcry, while promising that it would be "re-enabling this improved feature in the next few weeks."
    Monday 23 August 2010

"You have one identity. The days of you having a different image for your work friends or co-workers and for the other people you know are probably coming to an end pretty quickly ... Having two identities for yourself is an example of a lack of integrity."

-- Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg's primary goal is to standardize the concept of digital identity, stating that those who wish to remain anonymous "lack integrity" while he shamefully releases every individual's private information.

Although this is not to say that many individual's do not willingly provide an overabundance of their own personal information without discretion.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited March 2011
    My internet persona is so tightly tied to my fb, website, twitter, etc, that I really don't bother to even attempt separation of any of 'em.

Though I disagree completely with Zuckerberg's thoughts on anonymity fans lacking integrity, I simply choose not to remain such. There are places where I understand and support being nameless and faceless. The places my internet travels take me are ones I'm not concerned about.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Grinch wrote: »
    Mark Zuckerberg's primary goal is to standardize the concept of digital identity, stating that those who wish to remain anonymous "lack integrity" while he shamefully releases every individual's private information.

Well, all I can say is he better be careful in his private life - if he fucks about with the PI of others, he will soon find his fucked with.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm tabbing Facebook right now.
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is he better be careful in his private life - if he fucks about with the PI of others, he will soon find his fucked with.

hur hurr because Mr. Billionaire is scared of some 8th grade channers. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2011
    Hurrr hurr, mr billionaire might not be scared about 8th grade channers, but I am sure as shit he fears the day a reporter asks him for a quote on pictures of him taking illegal drugs and fucking women other than his G/F.

Dont think that as the guy made facebook, he will only be taken to task like some one might with some one else online. The guy is a public figure and it opens up the possibilities endlessly.
    edited March 2011
    pain and heartache.

Awww, you missing being a mod already? You disapoint me, I thought you would have lasted a little longer. So now, instead of being a mod and a tard, you are now simply a tard.

Hope that shit works out for you.
    edited March 2011
    :facepalm: I asked to be de modded.

Why, are you going to do the loser thing full time now and do not have time for modding?
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited March 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Why, are you going to do the loser thing full time now and do not have time for modding?

Browsing the internet is pretty stressful.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll mod in his absence :o:o:o:o
    edited March 2011
    I'll mod in his absence :o:o:o:o
    Need to find you something to moderate. You're a great contributor & always active. :cool:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    FB is always one step ahead of you.

they love to know all your detail, when, where,

etc etc.

Thats why i just email the Cia, all of my records

and receipts for the year. Saves time and hassle.
    edited March 2011
    ^ Hahaha....:D
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited March 2011
    :facepalm: I asked to be de modded.

Link to thread? I just don't want to miss out on any drama. Shits in short supply around here.
    edited March 2011
    lol, you went with totse2

over totse.info?

why
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    It's in M&A and no drama. I got modded on totse2 so I decided to go with that.

You're leaving us for Totse2!?
    edited March 2011
    fucked up.
    edited March 2011
    I demand that both of these members be banned permanently or saying hurtful things.:mad:

You cant demand shit. You are a deluded loser who puts his foot in his mouth so often you should be a contorsionist.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    link to thread? I just don't want to miss out on any drama. Shits in short supply around here.
    it's in m&a and no drama. I got modded on totse2 so i decided to go with that.

qft
  • edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Noscript is capable of blocking Facebook features on other sites, which is pretty cool. I don't know what the fuck Facebook is up to, but it's pretty scary to think about it. They could be doing anything with our information. They're probably up to something big. Same could be said for Google really, or any of the big organizations. I might contact Facebook and get them to show me exactly what information they're currently storing on me, as you're allowed to view your own personal information under request.

Hasn't there been talk about Facebook having something to do with U.S. intelligence agencies?
  • edited March 2011
    Hasn't there been talk about Facebook having something to do with U.S. intelligence agencies?

There's been talks of many things, and I'm sure this is one of the subjects. I've heard it before, and it really wouldn't surprise me. I hate to think of it to be honest, and it's probably already too late to do anything about it :(
  • edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    There's been talks of many things, and I'm sure this is one of the subjects. I've heard it before, and it really wouldn't surprise me. I hate to think of it to be honest, and it's probably already too late to do anything about it :(

About what? All they've done is collect information on millions of people. If we all stopped using social networking sites, the ground gained by anyone gathering such information on the population would be lost within two or three generations.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    There has been talk of the UK Police using FB to implement a more accurate facial recognition database. Source was pretty reputable but can't be arsed to find it as I'm writing text guides ;)
  • edited March 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    There has been talk of the UK Police using FB to implement a more accurate facial recognition database. Source was pretty reputable but can't be arsed to find it as I'm writing text guides ;)

Why not?

All they have to do is ask (No warrant. Just call up and get the info. Social Networking sites rarely put up a fight.), and FB has no obligation to refuse.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    People put personal information on facebook voluntarily, there isn't a need for intelligence agencies to be involved. A marketers wet dream for sure.
  • edited March 2011
    People put personal information on facebook voluntarily, there isn't a need for intelligence agencies to be involved. A marketers wet dream for sure.

Well, it's not as if they're going to want to go to a persons facebook page during the investigation. They're going to have all that shit collected someplace so it's available easily and quickly.