Help! I have a felony

homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
does anyone know out of experience if I should put that I have my felony down on a job application or don't put it down and hope they don't do a backround check?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Put it in.
  • edited February 2011
    If they do a background check then they won't even consider you for a job if you lie about a crime.

This.

Put it down, but include somewhere an elaborate web of lies and bullshit which places most of the blame on someone else.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't mention it. They most likely wont check on it.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited February 2011
    eh what to do?! I guess I'll put it down because I'm pretty sure these days its so easy to perform a backround check and I did hear from others that if you lie about your record its a definite no hire
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    It depends on what it is. If you have a felony for rape and armed robbery then you're fukd. If you have a felony for DUI then you might have a chance...
    edited February 2011
    Possession of an explosive device
  • PennywisePennywise Regular
    edited February 2011
    I would leave it blank and just hope they dont do a background check. If they do, sometimes it depends on how you caught the felony. If it has to do with drugs or robbery, most employers wont hire you.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011

Details mang. A firecracker or a massive pipe bomb?
  • edited February 2011
    I think the good money is on not putting it down, but it's a dicey thing. If you put it down you're screwed for sure, if you don't you still have the chance they won't check. But maybe if you put something in the box to the effect of "yes, young and stupid, please talk to me about this matter", you might be able to get someones sympathy.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    sympathy is far and few, don't expect that. it also depends on the place you apply.
    edited February 2011
    sympathy is far and few, don't expect that. it also depends on the place you apply.

Well yeah I already assume I won't get hired at a bank or working with kids or anything like that but I'm in school myself I just want a part time job at a gas station or something soooo wish me luck!
    edited February 2011
    good luck, especially with a bomb case, at least it wasn't robbery for a place like that. i'd stay silent, until proven guilty.
  • edited February 2011
    Pretty sure they run background checks quite a lot anyway, but I'd still leave it off the application. There's a chance that they won't even run the checks.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited February 2011

:thumbsup:
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited February 2011
    Food service jobs most likely won't check, or any kind of construction. If you're working for a retail store like Wal-mart, Target, they always check. I just had an interview with Target and they said if my drug screen and background check come back alright they'll hire me. But I got a assault and battery last year so I doubt they'll hire me, probably think I'm a loose cannon or something.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011

:hai:

I shouldn't laugh at someone having a felony on their record, but i lul'd hard, mang.

How the hell did that happen, exactly?

Also, go somewhere that doesn't do background checks. Oddly enough, any job that didn't do that and drug test paid higher than those that do.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Is anyone completely honest on their resume though? Honestly
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    uofmcamaro wrote: »
    Is anyone completely honest on their resume though? Honestly

Problem with a criminal record is that you can't get someone to do a fake reference for you if needed.
    edited February 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Problem with a criminal record is that you can't get someone to do a fake reference for you if needed.

Oh no doubt. Depending on if you have a common name you might could pass it off. That would depend on how much digging they did.

I had two hits on my record come back but I have a common surname. The guy had the same first and last name as I do but we clearly weren't the same. The search was, apparently, thin and just picked up everyone with close positives. I was able to proceed with my current task at work but it took a little work on my end.

Depending on how much the company hiring you cares you might could just say "common name" and them not do any more checking in to it....years down the line you may be screwed in that case.

I'd say something like that would be really really rare that a company wouldn't care.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Unless there was a weapons charge involved work on getting your record expunged.
    edited February 2011
    Unless there was a weapons charge involved work on getting your record expunged.

Bingo

Can't you only do that once? I mean, hopefully you wouldn't need to do it multiple times, but I think you can only get it expunged one time.
    edited February 2011
    I can't answer that but as with all legal matters it varies from state to state.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    I dont know, someone having an explosives charge would not stop me from hiring them - I would be more likely to hire I think.

However, they may look at your case and see you bought the things to make the device with your credit card and set the device of within a couple of miles of the store / your home and think you have no common sense.
    edited March 2011
    ^Most employers would view it much differently than you, at least in the states.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I am pretty leniant I suppose for a hang em and flog em guy - all I am generally concerned about is that they do not have a current drug problem and are not liars. Having said that, I dont think I would employ a pedo or a rapist.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited March 2011
    If it was me, I would probably put it on the resume, out of hope that someone would appreciate my honesty and give me a chance to explain and make a good impression in an interview. Most places are gonna do bg checks.
    edited March 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Having said that, I dont think I would employ a pedo or a rapist.

I don't think I would blame you for that one.

I see where you are coming from with an explosives charge. People mess with stuff all the time. Guy with explosives could be setting up a terrorist endeavor but he also could just be wanting to see what happens and how big the boom is.
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    Put it on since they prolly do a background check on you anyway. Better to tell the truth than to be found out as a liar.
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I saw a commercial on TV the other day for www.beenverified.com. I bet many employers are doing backround checks these days because it's quick and easy. Just my .02
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I have an assault with a deadly weapon charge on my record and that shit is def. holding me the fuck back for everything, its only a misdemeanor and I still couldn't get hired on at a fucking Rent A Center... its a shitty world we live in bro
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    mynickname wrote: »
    I have an assault with a deadly weapon charge on my record and that shit is def. holding me the fuck back for everything, its only a misdemeanor and I still couldn't get hired on at a fucking Rent A Center... its a shitty world we live in bro

Shitty world we live in, coming from the guy with an assault with a deadly weapon charge...
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    just tell them about. Chances are your

a felon and only job your going to get

is a minimum wage job. in that case they

dont care about records they just want hard labor for cheap pay
    edited March 2011
    Shitty world we live in, coming from the guy with an assault with a deadly weapon charge...

lol@ strapped felon responding to a strapped felon charge.
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited March 2011
    There is no state in the union where ADW is a misdemeanor. Your best bet would be to seek some kind of trade work, such as carpentry, plumbing, etc. Pretty much 3/4 of those guys have some kind of record.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    There is no state in the union where ADW is a misdemeanor. Your best bet would be to seek some kind of trade work, such as carpentry, plumbing, etc. Pretty much 3/4 of those guys have some kind of record.

It's no surprise that a worthless nigger like you would have experience in such matters.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I think it depends on what the crime was and where you're applying for a job. Like if it was for child rape and you wanted to work with kids most likely would not fly.

You should include it, these days so many places do a background check they'll find out about it soon enough. Also so many people these days have a criminal records I doubt a lot of businesses can find someone squeaky clean.