Which Antivirus Do You Use?

AmokySimiAmokySimi Semo-Regulars
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
What antivirus do you use? Or antispyware.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    AVG it's free and just as effective as Norton or Mcafee. Anyone who pays for an AV is retarded.
  • edited October 2010
    I use AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited October 2010
    Microsoft Security Essentials, I'll never use anything else again unless I find myself in the Corporate environment.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    All of those suck. Avira is free and has a better detection rate than any of the ones listed.

I also use ad-aware, spybot s&d, malwarebytes, superantispyware. And comodo firewall and hotspot shield vpn.

My firefox has noscript, adblockplus and flashblock as well.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    All of those suck. Avira is free and has a better detection rate than any of the ones listed.

I also use ad-aware, spybot s&d, malwarebytes, superantispyware. And comodo firewall and hotspot shield private vpn.

Because of this thread I decided to download Avira. It's only 20% done but says I have 17 "detections" already:facepalm:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    MSE. It works quite well, and I'm a safe surfer, so no problems for me :D
    edited October 2010
    Because of this thread I decided to download Avira. It's only 20% done but says I have 17 "detections" already:facepalm:

Yep. It'll get false positives sometimes. If you have other AV programs they can conflict as well. However, avira catches pretty much everything, so the false positives aren't a big deal for me.
    edited October 2010
    Yep. It'll get false positives sometimes. If you have other AV programs they can conflict as well. However, avira catches pretty much everything, so the false positives aren't a big deal for me.

I hope there false positives because now its half way through and says I have 61. Either these are false or AVG sucked some serious ass.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    None. I'm competent enough to not DL virii.
    edited October 2010
    None. I'm competent enough to not DL virii.

Well aren't you just special:p
    edited October 2010
    I hope there false positives because now its half way through and says I have 61. Either these are false or AVG sucked some serious ass.

AVG does suck. MSE is pretty worthless too. Avira actively scans your system all the time, but without using a lot of resources. It's nice.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Avast 5 [Free Edition]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Moved to redmond, added a redirect and fixed the title a bit.
    edited October 2010
    Try Avira, Dfg.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Try Avira, Dfg.
    Already did before using Avast. Didn't really like and compared to it Avast is lighter.
    edited October 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Already did before using Avast. Didn't really like and compared to it Avast is lighter.

Avast uses less resources when? During scanning or passively?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited October 2010
    Avast as realtime protection, Malwarebytes as scanner.

Avast is the lightest realtime protection suite and it's one of the best without too many false positives. I hate false positives, they are almost as bad as missed malware.

Malwarebytes is by far the best scanner&remover I've ever encountered, so that's what I use to scan a thumbdrive, downloaded files, full system scan ...
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2010

I also use ad-aware, spybot s&d, malwarebytes, superantispyware. And comodo firewall and hotspot shield vpn.

Rating an AV by detection rate is so 90's. They all have just about the exact same "detection rate" as far as the DAT files go. What matters is how they detect and what they monitor. Like code injection for example...
    edited October 2010
    It's kind of a moot point anyway. If you don't allow scripts or flash to run on untrusted sites and don't download shady stuff then you probably aren't going to get any viruses.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2010
    I never have an AV installed. The only time I'll use one is like once or twice a month, and then I'll just go to Cnet and get one for a quick scan. It's been this way for about a year now, and every time I decide to run a scan my PC comes out squeaky clean :cool: I downloaded that Avira AV last night, ran a full scan, squeaky clean :cool::cool::cool:
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited October 2010
    AVG, nuff said
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited February 2011
    Recently switched to Avira.. it's easy to work, lightweight, and free. :D
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited February 2011
    None, Antivirus is only for novice computer users.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    Avast, it's the best.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot S&D
    Malwarebytes
    AVG
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    I used to use Nod 32 and Malwarebytes. Doesn't get better than that killer combo.
    edited February 2011
    NOD32 is used by the DoD.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    Day of Defeat?

I love that game. :P
    edited February 2011
    I was referring to the Department of Defense, but you knew that. But yeah, DoD (not source) was the best FPS ever.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    This.

That
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited February 2011
    I've always used Avast.

NOD32 is used by the DoD.

The DoD also uses Internet Explorer.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited February 2011
    Microsoft Security Essentials all the way. Avast if MSE ever gets crappy or falls out of development in Redmond. FYI for those of you seeming to run multiple Anti-Viruses and Spyware removal software, it doesn't make you safer. It actually makes you more prone to false positives, conflictions, and the possibility of deleting files on accident not to mention lag. There are a dozen articles out there that going into further detail about that so I wont waste my time, unless I am reading it wrong and people are just dropping all the favorite ones they've used and aren't using.

Shit, I don't even use a firewall anymore (since 2003), not even MS'es built in one. I've never had a problem and with real-time scans as good as they are that shit cuts down incoming threats like horde of Chinese charging a machine gun nest.
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    Microsoft Security Essentials. Seems to be pretty good. The only thing I do with the Windows partition I use it on is use script kiddie tools (no rats, metasploit, cain, etc), program, make videos, occasionally make music, watch movies and play games since my graphics card driver is shittier in linux, that's all I can think of.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    AVG, malwarebytes, and spybot S&D.
  • dobkeratopsdobkeratops Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    I'm typically torn between AVG and Avast. I have both installed and between themselves they seem to get a lot more problems. Now and but I switched to ZenOK Free Antivirus, it works better for my pc I think.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't have an antivirus on my mac but I have Nod32 on my PC. Avast is also a great alternative and doesn't come bundled with shit like AVG.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    I'm typically torn between AVG and Avast. I have both installed and between themselves they seem to get a lot more problems. Now and but I switched to ZenOK Free Antivirus, it works better for my pc I think.
    Out of curiosity! is it a resource hog? :confused:
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited April 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Microsoft Security Essentials all the way. Avast if MSE ever gets crappy or falls out of development in Redmond. FYI for those of you seeming to run multiple Anti-Viruses and Spyware removal software, it doesn't make you safer. It actually makes you more prone to false positives, conflictions, and the possibility of deleting files on accident not to mention lag. There are a dozen articles out there that going into further detail about that so I wont waste my time, unless I am reading it wrong and people are just dropping all the favorite ones they've used and aren't using.

Shit, I don't even use a firewall anymore (since 2003), not even MS'es built in one. I've never had a problem and with real-time scans as good as they are that shit cuts down incoming threats like horde of Chinese charging a machine gun nest.

Lrn2read
  • PsyCl0nePsyCl0ne Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    I just switched from NOD32 to MSE, and prior to these two I used FProt (Now known as F-Secure).
    Ive also always used Spybot, Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware.

The only reason that I switched from NOD32 to MSE was and still is because Im currently a poor fag, but have started to socialize a lot more. Although I would have to add to stay away from BitDefender because that is some bloated shit, works like a mother but god damn its heavy on your system.

One last thing to add, there is no real reason to used a software firewall, if you wish to have a firewall get an actual hardware firewall, or build one. (Softwall....)

~PsyCl0ne
  • edited May 2011
    Welcome to the boards Psyclone :D

I'm currently running Linux and don't use and Antivirus. I've got my firewalls configured, and I often try to hack my own system to see how secure it is, and to test my skills ;) Fun stuff, I recommend you should try it especially with the release of the new Backtrack Linux :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    PsyCl0ne wrote: »
    I just switched from NOD32 to MSE, and prior to these two I used FProt (Now known as F-Secure).
    Ive also always used Spybot, Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware.

The only reason that I switched from NOD32 to MSE was and still is because Im currently a poor fag, but have started to socialize a lot more. Although I would have to add to stay away from BitDefender because that is some bloated shit, works like a mother but god damn its heavy on your system.

One last thing to add, there is no real reason to used a software firewall, if you wish to have a firewall get an actual hardware firewall, or build one. (Softwall....)

~PsyCl0ne

Actually Windows 7 has a decent Firewall built in. I did try using a hardware firewall which used softwall and other Distro. It was main in the ass. But could work on bigger networks.

As for AV, MSE is solid but give Avast 6.0 a try, it has sandboxing option and other nice bits.