Fucking dependencies

buddhabuddha Regular
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Ever spend so much time tracking shit down, you forget what you were trying to install in the first place?

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    The one time I tried using Slackware as a desktop, yeah ...

That convinced me of the need of a good package manager.

I will never again use a distro without a good dependency-handling package manager as a desktop. Never.

As a server? MAYBE if I need a mission critical server which won't need much applications to do it's job.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Amie wrote: »

I will never again use a distro without a good dependency-handling package manager as a desktop. Never.

As a server? MAYBE if I need a mission critical server which won't need much applications to do it's job.

Fuck I want to stab myself. Ended up breaking other shit and couldn't get it to work anyways. ARRRRRGH!

Got any experience with Snort?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Got any experience with Snort?

Nope. And it's been about a year since I last used Slackware. In my opinion, it's just not worth the trouble. In between Centos, Debian stable and the BSD's, I think there's a stable OS which will handle it's own damn dependencies for just about any purpose.

I guess now it's either dive in and try to fix things, reinstall and try to do it right when you've got a clean install or hop on to a different OS.

May I ask what exactly you're trying to set up?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Nope. And it's been about a year since I last used Slackware. In my opinion, it's just not worth the trouble. In between Centos, Debian stable and the BSD's, I think there's a stable OS which will handle it's own damn dependencies for just about any purpose.

I guess now it's either dive in and try to fix things, reinstall and try to do it right when you've got a clean install or hop on to a different OS.

May I ask what exactly you're trying to set up?

I was trying to install snort-2.9.0.4 on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm a fucking retard anyways, been to busy lately to notice they released Deb6.0 a couple weeks ago. Been waiting on it since I'm on a netbook.

Oh happy days, fuck you ubuntu.
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011

Ever heard of slackpkg? It comes on the Slackware CD. I'm not huge on Slackware, but I've taken notice to this tool.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    orochi wrote: »
    Ever heard of slackpkg? It comes on the Slackware CD. I'm not huge on Slackware, but I've taken notice to this tool.

I have. It does not resolve dependencies.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    Isn't no automatic package management the main selling point for Slackware?

Yes, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's not that I don't see the point, I do, I just don't like it. I get the point of having a locked down preconfigured OS like OSX, doesn't mean I like it. At the moment I have no reason to spend the extra days needed to turn slackware into what I want, the added reliability does not justify the added time for anything I'm doing.
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    I have. It does not resolve dependencies.

Ah, yes, my bad. Found something called slapt-get that does though.