Does anyone remember WinMX?

edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
984813857-1.gif

Fuck, that screenshot is full of nostalgia for me. I remember the first time I heard about downloading music and other files through my friend's dad. This was back when I was on a dial-up connection, and he was on Broadband after it had only just started coming into effect. I rushed home to download WinMX and got straight into the world of piracy :D Only problem was that I was on a slow ass Dial-up connection, so songs took about 20 minutes each to download.

And then WinMX went offline, and I was gutted. I have no idea if they're back up and running now, because I never checked. I went straight to Limewire, because I heard that it was faster :D I downloaded a copy of Limewire PRO (for free, of course), set it up and tweaked it all for maximum speeds. I continued downloading music, until I discovered that you could download videos too! I started getting little video clips of Jackass and some shitty "Faces of death" videos, straight onto my HDD. I was so amazed!

Then came broadband, a new laptop and a wireless connection - the rest is history :D

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited March 2011
    It's the first P2P I ever used. Great stuff. But there's probably not much on it anymore, just a few clingy people who applied the patch.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited March 2011
    eDonkey2k ALL DAY BITCHES

Saugcenter! :(
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    sade is the shit.

I never used it, my first was morpheus :(
  • edited March 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    It's the first P2P I ever used. Great stuff. But there's probably not much on it anymore, just a few clingy people who applied the patch.

It was my first too, as you probably could tell from my original post :D I was just reading through the Wikipedia article on WinMX and it was pretty cool to hear about the patch which came out, and how there was a giant split between people who moved on and those who came back to using it. Good story :D

I tried Edonkey after a friend from school told me about it, but never really liked it.
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    First P2P I ever used was Napster. Good times. I used WinMX for a time, but I don't think I really liked it that much. It's speed was nothing compared to Kazaa...oh god. Kazaa. "HEY DEWD THERE'S THIS NEW THING CALLED KAZAA AND YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FULL GAMES!!!11". Followed by lots of viruses. Fuck warez for the most part. Seriously, that shit can get you in trouble in a number of ways.

For me, nothing beats the memories of downloading Dreamcast games over IRC.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    IMO WinMX was the best successor to Napster that ever existed. It was a fucking shame when it closed shop (came back although far less successful). It was the Napster of everything beyond mp3's. Then that gay ass KaZaA bullshit came along followed by an even worse Limewire.
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I used it, it was meh, but it could never replace Napster. :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    BearShare before Napster...
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited March 2011
    winmx was my first. then i moved to kazaa, morpheus, and limewire. all depended on how bad the viruses were for each update. looking back, i don't know why i used any of 'em. torrents are so much easier now.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited March 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    IMO WinMX was the best successor to Napster that ever existed.

This. When Napster went down I tried everything I heard about before finding and settling for WinMX.

I remember for awhile I was stuck using some bullshit called AudioGalaxy. I'm not sure how it is now or if anything of it still exists but it sucked ass back then.
  • GenericGeneric Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    yeah i rmember using that
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited March 2011
    :( Napster was the shit. I met some cool people and found out about a lot of music from the Chat rooms.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited March 2011
    This thread brought back memories.

original-napster.jpg