Wearing weights

edited April 2011 in Life
Is this a good idea? I think they can fuck up your joints but it'd be awesome to turn daily life into a workout...

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited April 2011
    I've been considering this too, weights around the ankles and arms. I thought I heard somebody mention something about joint damage somewhere, though.
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited April 2011
    They have ankel weights and wrist weights.

Also: Goku did that is DBZ.
  • IAmMrPositiveIAmMrPositive Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Not sure if you're serious, but that is a gimmick. May as well get a shake weight to go along with the ankle weights.

You can be like this guy!

• Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited April 2011
    Piccolo wears a weighted turban. Fucking sand nigger.
  • IAmMrPositiveIAmMrPositive Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Catch the monkey in 10 times gravity and I'll teach you the kaioken.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited April 2011
    They have ankel weights and wrist weights.

Also: Goku did that is DBZ.

Actually it was Piccolo who did this.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    My dad used ankle weights for 15 years.

Nigguh can jump over 2 feet and he's got a potbelly.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I was actually thinking of trying this myself. I was thinking of wearing some heavy boots with weight attachments and use them for running and cycling. It might work but even I can see there are some risks in the long run. Do your research!
  • edited April 2011
    Running with weights, especially if already wearing boots, needs to be done carefully. If your leg is being pulled out of its socket by a few additional kilos every stride it will not like it.

Weight vests can be useful but start low and buy one that distributes the weight correctly across your back and chest1. I used to weigh 220 pounds when I was younger and thought (after I'd lost 40lbs) 'Hey, putting a 20lb weight vest on and going for a run should be no problem - I'll still be 20lbs lighter than my fat-ass max'. One mild heat stroke2 and a very sore lower back later I realized the error of my ways. I'd never have run that far or fast when I weighed 200lbs, additionally I put that weight on over years - my muscles had time to adapt. An 'instant lardass' weight vest does not afford your muscles that luxury, so train up slowly.

Make sure you have correct posture when using any weights... if you don't I suspect they'll do you more harm than good.

1) Slightly more weight on the back than the front and well-secured to your body; if those weights start to bounce when you're running you'll regret it the following morning when your back is killing you.

2) Weight vest weights like the ones reebok sell are dense, flexible, rubber. Your sweat will not evaporate when you're wearing a jacket heavily loaded with these, so overheating on long runs can be an issue.