Writing

Gary OakGary Oak Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Well, I am singer, and it's come to the point were I want to write my own music, but I can seem to write shit. I feel like anything I will write will be shit, or that it isn't personal. I want it to be beautiful and poetic, but it's really not going where I want it to go. So totse, How do you write? I don't think there would really be that much of a difference between music or other forms of written expression like poetry or fiction, so how do I do it?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't write about cliche shit like love or personal problems. Start thinking deeper and the lyrics will flow.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Write while you're tripping.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think there would really be that much of a difference between music or other forms of written expression like poetry or fiction, so how do I do it?
    For me, lyrics are more personal because they are relayed orally, while I share my poetry in written form. So it's a lot easier for me to sound sappy in a song.

Anyway, I first recommend you sit down and figure out exactly what you want to write about. Since it is your first song, I recommend you stay way from songs about (real) relationships. If you're having trouble coming up with anything serious, write a bullshit song about how Ash fucked Misty or something. Once you have some experience writing songs, the heartfelt songs come a lot more easily.

After you have your topic, think of a focus for each section. Here's an example list of sections to use:

Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Bridge
    Chorus

Think of what you want to accomplish in each section. For instance, if you're writing the Ash fucked Misty song, you can have the first verse be about when Ash first laid on eyes on Misty. A couple lines about where they were, what she looked like, etc.

The chorus needs to be more catchy and universal than the verse. By universal, I mean that the message in the chorus should be applicable to the verses and the bridge. So for the Ash and Misty example, you could make it about how they feel when they have sex.

For the second verse, you are adding more information to the first verse. So for our example, maybe add something about how Ash and Misty's relationship developed further. Write about a time they had catching magicarp or something.

Then comes the bridge. It has a bit of tension musically, so there needs to be some lyrically. Maybe Ash and Misty's relationship is strained by the arrival of a new trainer in town. Or maybe the tension is good. Maybe their relationship is moving to a whole new level. Regardless, make the lyrics more intense.

Finally, the last chorus. Usually you just repeat the lyrics of the first chorus, but because your song subject has gone through another verse and bridge, you should add a bit more musically here (to make it feel more developed and complete). Then, for an easy ending, end on a whole note of the tonic.

Now just come up with a title. You should have something in the lyrics that can be used as a title, if you're struggling. And voila, you have a song.

Obviously this is a contrived, over simplistic way to write songs. But it works, and I think it's a good starting place. Once you've gone through it, you know what you don't like, and you can make adjustments.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll try it, thanks.