Drinking alcohol with Sertraline

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
Is it safe to drink alcohol with Sertraline? It's an SSRI Antidepressant, and I need to find out if it's safe when combined with alcohol (as I have no fucking clue). The current dosage is 50mg every 24 hours, although this will increase over the next few weeks.

Also, it's NOT myself who is taking this drug, so I can't really answer any more personal questions :D

Halp?

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    Ask The Pharmacist who prescribed it if its an actual presciption. (Legal) if not then turn to google.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Alcohol is CNS depressant, so it may oppose the effects of the drug. The interaction shouldn't be that big, but I'd strictly limit the amount of alcohol consumed depending on how 'tuff' the person is.
  • edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Alcohol is CNS depressant, so it may oppose the effects of the drug. The interaction shouldn't be that big, but I'd strictly limit the amount of alcohol consumed depending on how 'tuff' the person is.

By this, do you mean how well they can handle living if they had the effects of the drug canceled out?

Also, how long will the effects of the drug be opposed for? I'm guessing if they took another dose the next day, they'd be alright again?
    edited April 2011
    I meant how well they can handle alcohol. Mixing the two will make them drunk earlier than normal. But to take your point into consideration, watch for depressive thoughts and suicidal tendencies. With one or two beers, I don't think the effect should be that big. It's not like mixing xannies and alcohol.

Just keep taking the drug on schedule. Alcohol is mostly out of the system in 8 hours.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I've been binging a LOT on booze and Tramadol lately. Tram is a minor SSRI (correct if I'm wrong) but it seems fine. Just really, seriously, don't overdo it.
    edited April 2011
    Tramadol is a painkiller.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Shouldn't hurt with moderate drinking, and tramadol is a painkiller. 50 mgs?

http://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »

Antidepressant-like effect != SSRI

Furthermore, not all depressants are SSRIs. From that study, it's more likely that tramadol acts like an SNRI. But tramadol is first and foremost an opioid analgesic.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I take 100mg's a day, and I brew beer for a hobby. ;) What I recommend is starting off slow and getting used to the Zoloft first because it takes a while for it to fully kick in. You'll be ok though.
  • edited April 2011
    familyguy wrote: »
    I take 100mg's a day, and I brew beer for a hobby. ;) What I recommend is starting off slow and getting used to the Zoloft first because it takes a while for it to fully kick in. You'll be ok though.

Thanks dude, did you register just so you could reply to this thread? :D
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Naw, I started going on totse like 5 or 6 years ago. I saw that it was back up and upgraded my name.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I've been binging a LOT on booze and Tramadol lately.

WHAT'S UP BROTHA!!!

u6.jpg

good times, good times.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    WHAT'S UP BROTHA!!!

u6.jpg

good times, good times.

I need a manicure.