Why do people get caught growing weed?

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
What are the main problems faced when growing weed at home, which cause the majority of people to get caught?

Are they ratted out by neighbors, or does it just stink to high heaven? (no pun intended)

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I am thinking the major risk would be discovery. Like someone from abc comes to visit you and stumbles on your weed garden.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Snitches.

Also, I once heard of a guy who was caught because he bought all the supplies he needed to grow marijuana at one store and the guy he bought it from got suspicious and reported it. So make sure if you do grow marijuana that you buy everything at different locations.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Top reasons..
    • Electric bill
    • Smell
    • Telling the wrong people/making a big deal out of it
    • Selling
    • Heat signatures
    • Acting like a complete stoner cunt

There are a few. There are of course, remidies to all of them :p
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Top reasons..
    • Electric bill
    • Smell
    • Telling the wrong people/making a big deal out of it
    • Selling
    • Heat signatures
    • Acting like a complete stoner cunt

There are a few. There are of course, remidies to all of them :p

If you were growing indoors, I imagine you'd need a fair amount of heat (From lighting) before they'd see you on something like FLIR right?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    When your electricity bill triples, it sends up a red flag.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited April 2011
    Must people don't know how to keep their mouths shut and brag to friends, or they don't realise that blacking out windows looks odd.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited April 2011
    This is why y'all should be greedy. Just grow what you need. This way, you have the signs on the minimal.
    edited April 2011
    Oh, and many get caught by dabbling in other illegal activities such as theft etc, when growing.
    Short story: When growing, be an asslicker who does nothing wrong.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Does growing weed require that much lighting?
  • edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Does growing weed require that much lighting?

I've been told that three or four HPS Security lamps from the Home Depot seem to do the trick for a closet sized setup. Maybe 20 square feet of floorspace or so.
  • BlackTerritoryBlackTerritory New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    Telling people.

"Oh yeah I know a guy that grows"
    "A friend of mine grows it him self"
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited April 2011
    Running your mouth is the biggest problem, but the electric bill thing is not entirely true. It would have to be a large scale operation before you'd run up a big enough bill for the electric bitches to say anything. They want you to run up a big bill.

If it bothers you though, look into growing under CFLs. They don't use as much electricity and you can grow a nice run if you do it properly. I recommend the Screen of Green method, or scrog. I'm in a hurry or I'd put up some links.
  • edited April 2011
    When your electricity bill triples, it sends up a red flag.

It depends how many plants you're rocking though.

If you have say 3, it's like having an extra computer running 24/7... But if you're turnin your whole apt. into a grow op it will become a factor...
    edited April 2011
    It depends how many plants you're rocking though.

If you have say 3, it's like having an extra computer running 24/7... But if you're turnin your whole apt. into a grow op it will become a factor...

You mean how many lights? It's possible to grow 5 or so under a 600w MH or HPS. I opted for CFL back in the day though. Still, it put the leccy bill from ~£70/month to ~£110/month, not including fans etc.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    jewnose wrote: »
    Running your mouth is the biggest problem, but the electric bill thing is not entirely true. It would have to be a large scale operation before you'd run up a big enough bill for the electric bitches to say anything. They want you to run up a big bill.

If it bothers you though, look into growing under CFLs. They don't use as much electricity and you can grow a nice run if you do it properly. I recommend the Screen of Green method, or scrog. I'm in a hurry or I'd put up some links.

I agree. I used to have a hot tub at my house, and window units in my garage. My electric bill was crazy high. If you run a small scale operation, I doubt it will throw any red flags. Also, in America they don't bust people by checking the heat over houses. The reason why is because the equipment they use is so powerful it can detect the heat of your body. What happens if your having sex? Invasion of privacy.;) The smell however, could be a problem if you live in a small apartment.

There is a really good book out there. I think its called the marijuana bible. Anyways, read up before you make any decisions. Jail is boring as shit.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    familyguy wrote: »
    I agree. I used to have a hot tub at my house, and window units in my garage. My electric bill was crazy high. If you run a small scale operation, I doubt it will throw any red flags. Also, in America they don't bust people by checking the heat over houses. The reason why is because the equipment they use is so powerful it can detect the heat of your body. What happens if your having sex? Invasion of privacy.;) The smell however, could be a problem if you live in a small apartment.

There is a really good book out there. I think its called the marijuana bible. Anyways, read up before you make any decisions. Jail is boring as shit.

I do believe that you mean the cannabis grow bible good sir. It can be downloaded from the following links:
    Torrent: https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3551790/%28EBook%29_-_Marijuana_-_The_Cannabis_Grow_Bible.pdf
    Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5VV1H3IB
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    Surprising how many people have failed to read the question. The question was why, not how.

Now for the answer.

1. They want to get caught.

or

2. They are too stupid not to.
  • droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    watch out for the electric bill. Also the neighbors and the area is a big variable. Some are chill, like in VT where a ton of people grow weed or are involved in the trade or Cali. But it really depends on your area. I've watched DEA episodes where the feds talk to all the neighbors and they all knew about marijuana grow houses. But they didnt call or tell the cops cuz they didn't care. Its all about luck I guess. I heard third hand about a story where someone in the neighborhood was in law enforcement somehow. He basically barged in and straightend out a local junkie on his own accord...
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited April 2011
    the electric bill is a myth. the electric companies could care less if you spend 100 a month or 1000. Thats not going to get you in trouble. Loose lips sink ships. Keep your mouth shut and nothing will happen
  • skrinkleskrinkle Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    jewnose wrote: »

I believe you're refering to the "sea of green" method, just wanted to clarify that for those who may be interested. Yahooka.com is a decent source of info for this type of grow.

I was watching cops the other day on tv and the police were chasing a man, caught him in some guys back yard. The owner of the house had left the back door open and the cops peered in and saw multiple plants, busting him instantly. That aside, i'd say the most crucial part like others have said is keeping your mouth shut.
  • droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    the electric bill is a myth. the electric companies could care less if you spend 100 a month or 1000. Thats not going to get you in trouble. Loose lips sink ships. Keep your mouth shut and nothing will happen

In a sense your partially right. Problem is if police suspected you first thing theyd do if they could get a warrant would be to look at your electricity bills and usage, cuz it is a giveaway. Your bill won't really arouse suspicion or implicate you. It becomes a problem once youve been implicated and they suspect you, cuz at that point they can use it against you.
  • theGeneraltheGeneral Regular
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Electric bill
    :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2011
    So, it seems as though it's safer to grow outside if you're looking to dodge the electricity bills, right? But then there's the smell issue, which is probably the worst one of the lot. I know that if I was growing, I wouldn't tell anyone so that's not an issue. I'd just be worried it would stink to shit.

What about growing weed outside, in somewhere which ISN'T your own back yard? Like hiding a plant somewhere? :)
  • theGeneraltheGeneral Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    So, it seems as though it's safer to grow outside if you're looking to dodge the electricity bills, right? But then there's the smell issue, which is probably the worst one of the lot. I know that if I was growing, I wouldn't tell anyone so that's not an issue. I'd just be worried it would stink to shit.

What about growing weed outside, in somewhere which ISN'T your own back yard? Like hiding a plant somewhere? :)
    Don't grow it in your backyard. Growing in a forest or something is a better idea. You won't produce high quality "kush", but it's still weed. Make sure you choose an area that is well hidden, but that you can find again, and don't tell anybody about it.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    droppinds wrote: »
    In a sense your partially right. Problem is if police suspected you first thing theyd do if they could get a warrant would be to look at your electricity bills and usage, cuz it is a giveaway. Your bill won't really arouse suspicion or implicate you. It becomes a problem once youve been implicated and they suspect you, cuz at that point they can use it against you.

^this.
    Marijuana-growers use copious quantities of electricity to grow clandestine plants under high- intensity lights, but they need not worry about scrutiny from their power utility, provided they pay their bills. Several hydro suppliers said yesterday they would not report to police a spike in electricity use from any particular address.

"If they're paying their bills, it's not a hydro theft issue," said Al Manchee, spokesman for Hydro One, Ontario's largest electricity supplier with 1.2 million customers across the province. "We don't get involved in legal issues. We're not a police force."

Toronto Hydro, which supplies power to the City of Toronto, said a drop in electricity usage would lead to suspicions that someone had tampered with the meter. But a big increase in electricity consumption "wouldn't raise the same kinds of flags," said Blair Peberdy, a spokesman.

"If it's going through the meter, there is less likelihood that we would notify police," Mr. Peberdy said. "There is a tremendous amount of renovation going on. People add jacuzzis, a new furnace, or air conditioning."

But if a meter reader notices tampering to steal power, the utility will notify police, he said. He estimates Toronto Hydro lost $2-million to electricity theft last year, much of it linked to those growing pot.
    link

Just using a lot of electric isn't enough to kick in your door, I think some places require a warrant for the cops to even look at that (but not in canada, lol)
    The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that police can obtain household power records and attach digital recording devices to suspected grow homes to track electricity usage patterns as part of pre-warrant investigations.
    link

That being said, closet growers shouldn't be worried. A 1kw lamp uses the same electricity as an air conditioner, so if you run your lamp 12/12, it looks just like you're running your a/c.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited April 2011
    I think it's mostly greed and pride that gets you caught. Your getting a lot of weed out of one plant, you don't need 45 at a time.
  • edited April 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I think it's mostly greed and pride that gets you caught. Your getting a lot of weed out of one plant, you don't need 45 at a time.

Besides, if you're a pretty little guy like me then it doesn't take much to get me stoned at all. I'd barely smoke my way through the plant, it would probably flower faster than I could smoke it :D
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited April 2011
    Slappy wrote: »
    Just using a lot of electric isn't enough to kick in your door, I think some places require a warrant for the cops to even look at that (but not in canada, lol)

That quote was taken completely out of context. If your stealing electricity your going to get in trouble for it. If your using a lot of electricity and paying for it, its not a problem. People are getting caught b/c they cannot keep their mouth shut.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    That quote was taken completely out of context. If your stealing electricity your going to get in trouble for it. If your using a lot of electricity and paying for it, its not a problem. People are getting caught b/c they cannot keep their mouth shut.

...and the cops are using electricity consumption as corroborating evidence, stolen or not.

I agree with you about people keeping their mouths shut. No informant = No pics, no audio, no sale.

*you're