Child Slavery in India

BoxBox Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was watching a documentary on TV last night regarding child slavery in India. The documentary revolved around a German activist [female] who pretended to be a German exporter searching for cheap raw materials. She was roughly ~24,25 and was accompanied by a translator whom had a secret camera installed. They went to workshops and found several dozens of children under the age of 12, bordering and sewing logos on brands such as Gap and Fitch. These children were locked in a room of about 3m by 3m and were given food [brown rice] in a bucket. Like pigs they rushed to the bucket and picked the rice up with their hands. Their hands were full of calluses, that they had to spit on their hands and use it as a sticky solvent to be able to pick up the rice.

The activist visited fields where children worked in:
indian-kids1-e.jpg

Some of these children were rocking back and forth from the constant beatings and malnutrition.

Here's an excerpt from the Anti-Slavery Society,
Many children in Asia are kidnapped or otherwise trapped in servitude, where they work in factories and workshops for no pay and receive constant beatings.

Typically, an agent from the city arrives in the village. He shows great sympathy for the child’s parents and a deep understanding of their plight and financial problems. He purchases two dresses for the mother and purchases a cow for the father (but the cow is an old sick cow which dies after a few months).

In due course, the family’s new friend tells them that he could get a job for the child in the city where the child would be properly trained, receive wages and have good prospects for promotion. The parents, seeing this as the opportunity of a lifetime for their child to escape from rural poverty, agree.

The agent gives them a piece of paper with the name and address of a non-existent employment agency.
In reality, it is all a scam. The children live in a den or a squalid shed, with no prospects and no pay. Many are beaten with sticks and iron rods and not even allowed to see their parents. They are branded with red hot irons, burnt with cigarettes, starved, whipped, beaten while hanging upside down, chained up, abused in an intimate way, and kept locked in cupboards for days on end. One child, Shankar, described his experience thus:

“We were poked with burning cigarettes on the back and legs. If we cried for our mothers we were locked in a room without air or enough light. We were forced to work for 20 hours a day without pay. We were kept half fed and beaten up severely by our masters if we were found talking or laughing among ourselves. One night I jumped into the nearby River Ganges to kill myself to escape from this painful life. We were never allowed to go back to our parents, to our villages.”

This is really sad. You have to see the documentary to be able to visually their living conditions and the hardships these kids go through. They pick up sledgehammers and break rocks for 12 hours a day and are paid 5 rupees a week. :(

What's your opinion on child slavery?

Comments

• BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary on TV last night regarding child slavery in India. The documentary revolved around a German activist [female] who pretended to be a German exporter searching for cheap raw materials. She was roughly ~24,25 and was accompanied by a translator whom had a secret camera installed. They went to workshops and found several dozens of children under the age of 12, bordering and sewing logos on brands such as Gap and Fitch. These children were locked in a room of about 3m by 3m and were given food [brown rice] in a bucket. Like pigs they rushed to the bucket and picked the rice up with their hands. Their hands were full of calluses, that they had to spit on their hands and use it as a sticky solvent to be able to pick up the rice.

The activist visited fields where children worked in:
    indian-kids1-e.jpg

Some of these children were rocking back and forth from the constant beatings and malnutrition.

Here's an excerpt from the Anti-Slavery Society,

This is really sad. You have to see the documentary to be able to visually their living conditions and the hardships these kids go through. They pick up sledgehammers and break rocks for 12 hours a day and are paid 5 rupees a week. :(

What's your opinion on child slavery?

was she hot at least?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Kids need to do something, but not slavery. Give them candy or a good rape in return for their work.
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited April 2011
    LOL, the kid on the left has it's butt on backwards.
  • edited April 2011
    I remember seeing a documentary on kids growing up as the children of whores in the Calcuttan Red Light District.... Even they (apparently) have it better than slave children.

It always amazes me how rarely these types of stories make it into N. American media... I guess we're too up our own asses to care hahaha
    edited April 2011
    GB road in India is where all the underage prosties hang out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I am not shocked or surprised. It happens in Pakistan daily. It's normal for children to work for money or be forced into doing hard labor. I say Nuke India and Pakistan ASAP.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011
    It's what makes companies such as dell, gap, H&M, wall-mart (etc) offer cheaper goods for the consumer :p
  • Mr. MooMr. Moo Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I hate India and agree with DFG's idea of Nuking it.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited April 2011
    I think we could learn a lot from India's example. For instance adopting their caste system and relaxed child labor laws would not only put people in their place, but give a boost to Americas struggling manufacturing sector.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited April 2011
    I think we could learn a lot from India's example. For instance adopting their caste system and relaxed child labor laws would not only put people in their place, but give a boost to Americas struggling manufacturing sector.

Even if child labour was legal, it would probably still be cheaper for the Chinese to manufacture our goods for us. :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember seeing a documentary on kids growing up as the children of whores in the Calcuttan Red Light District.... Even they (apparently) have it better than slave children.

It always amazes me how rarely these types of stories make it into N. American media... I guess we're too up our own asses to care hahaha

The documentary was in German and translated in Spanish.

What's even more amazing is that the exporters have a "certificate declaring that no child labor has taken place in the process." The activist investigated the origin of the certificate signer which turned out to be an exporter of products produced by child labor. :facepalm:

This world is really fucked up.
  • TillouciferTilloucifer Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    fuck kids
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited April 2011
    Different places of different customs. It is what it is. You know what I think? Send all the niggers to these countries so the children don't have to do this work if you don't like it so much.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    ^ send mexicans
    edited April 2011
    ^ send mexicans

Back to Mexico. Amirite?
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    anywhere but the USA :mad:
  • edited April 2011
    Child slavery should be expanded to the rest of the world. Fuck the children. I say make them useful for something.

This.
  • edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »

My opinion ?

The first World Countries are to be blamed for Child slavery in all forms, the capitalist citizens of those countries have been taught to live with a certain way of life, that life consists upon buying and buying constantly things that do not need, the word [need] itself is inflicted into each one new citizen of the First World Countries from the beginning of his life , they have taught us that success goes through recognition and recognition means respect from society towards them and wealth. The education is wrong , the manners are wrong, even if they start right from family, along the way they get corrupted and through mind control we become apathetic with the blessings as well of the media and our Gov.

What we need and it's urgent is to change the way we act towards our own self's, it's like we have a self time - bomb that is triggered and we just await for the big bang.

What a load of self-loathing leftist tripe.

Natural selection applies to social systems as much as it does individuals; the fittest will dominate. Currently, capitalism is the 'fittest' system and no amount of guilt ridden hand-wringing is going to change that. Besides child slavery predates capitalism by several thousand years; child slaves would almost certainly exist in this world in the complete absence of capitalism. The 'blame' for the existence of this slavery goes far deeper than the superficialities of transient economic models; slaves will be useful no matter what.
    edited April 2011
    fuck kids

Will do.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2011
    Child slavery should be expanded to the rest of the world. Fuck the children. I say make them useful for something.

Grow up.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    People need to grow up and stop measuring other cultures by the values of their own. You might as well shout at stray dogs who eat their own shit or Lions who kill the cubs fathered by others.

Your society is the way it is, theirs is different and that is the way of it.

Those societies do not produce enough of a surplace so the state can feed, clothe and educate those children to a certain age. Far from it. Without this labour, those societies would collapse and every single person in them would be worse off.

Sure, their life sucks by your standards, much in the way that the children of Bill Gates think you are the lowest of the low in comparison.

Think of it in this way - we truly level the assets of all the people in the world. Every family has a small patch of land on which to grow enough food to feed themselves?

Do you think the kids:

A. Get to play X-box live all day long?

B. Spend the day pulling weeds and carrying water?

These societies only tollerate what happens in them because any other realistic choice would be worse.

Who am I to question your ideals tho? I am sure you are so morally upstanding you will let all of the 'child slaves' live at you house and you can feed and clothe them.

Which brings me to the question:

Why should children have the right not to work when adults have to? Surely, one day these children will become adults and have to work themselves. What is the difference? Show me where it is written by some higher moral authority than my morals, your morals or his morals that children should not work?
    I am the people - the mob - the crowd - the mass. Do you know that all great work of the world is done through me?

People are people - children or adults - and we should all share the burden of work until as such time technology means it is no longer necessary.
    edited April 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    People need to grow up and stop measuring other cultures by the values of their own. You might as well shout at stray dogs who eat their own shit or Lions who kill the cubs fathered by others.

Your society is the way it is, theirs is different and that is the way of it.

Those societies do not produce enough of a surplace so the state can feed, clothe and educate those children to a certain age. Far from it. Without this labour, those societies would collapse and every single person in them would be worse off.

Sure, their life sucks by your standards, much in the way that the children of Bill Gates think you are the lowest of the low in comparison.

Think of it in this way - we truly level the assets of all the people in the world. Every family has a small patch of land on which to grow enough food to feed themselves?

Do you think the kids:

A. Get to play X-box live all day long?

B. Spend the day pulling weeds and carrying water?

These societies only tollerate what happens in them because any other realistic choice would be worse.

Who am I to question your ideals tho? I am sure you are so morally upstanding you will let all of the 'child slaves' live at you house and you can feed and clothe them.

Which brings me to the question:

Why should children have the right not to work when adults have to? Surely, one day these children will become adults and have to work themselves. What is the difference? Show me where it is written by some higher moral authority than my morals, your morals or his morals that children should not work?

People are people - children or adults - and we should all share the burden of work until as such time technology means it is no longer necessary.

Pretty much this.