vBookie for vBulletin 4

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited April 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I know I brought this MOD up before and at the time the version for VB 3.5 was not compatable with our version of VB. I also know the Dfg has been hard at work getting VB 4 ready for live launch. I would love to see this mod to go with our sports forums. We could even set up a system to reward quality posters with bonus betting points for vBookie. It would be like having our own virtual sports books where people could place bets and talk shit (bragging rights) when their picks came in. This could generate a new level of interest in a forum that is a bit dormant at the moment and has the potential to attract a whole new demographic of mebers to the user base.

I would gladly maintain the betting lines for MLB, NBA, NCAA (footbal and basket ball), NFL ,NHL, and even that silly soccer game for our European members. (J/K about the silly soccer thing I just don't get into).

Let's hear everyones thoughts on this idea.

Here is a link describing the MOD.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=233473

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Sure why not, might be fun.
  • edited April 2011
    Gimmie whatever hypothetical riches I might gave on the Canucks for the Cup, go Nucks! They will choke as usual, but it is playoff season, and anyone caught not supporting the Canucks is tarred, feathered, and dumped in the ocean.

Might be fun, gambling usually is.:p Awarding points for quality posts might be a bit of a snag, there would be a lot of argument over what qualifies as a quality post. Just give anyone participating an allotment that recharges occasionally if they go broke, and keep it simple.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Gimmie whatever hypothetical riches I might gave on the Canucks for the Cup, go Nucks! They will choke as usual, but it is playoff season, and anyone caught not supporting the Canucks is tarred, feathered, and dumped in the ocean.

Might be fun, gambling usually is.:p

I actually want them to win.

1. Typical kid from around here :o
    2. RIOTS!

But would be fun to have a betting system. Bets on not just sports but other things would be cool as well.
  • BlackTerritoryBlackTerritory New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    Some addons are nice, but the last thing you want totse.info to become is a crack whore with multiple STD's... sorry .... just like every other forum that has 40,000 addons that can't be updated because 98% of them aren't kept up to date.

The simpler the better I think.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited April 2011

Nucks Nucks Nucks! I live in an NHL deprived area so nobody jumps my ass for yelling for the Canucks. They probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

I'm all for this bookie shit. I love to gamble even when it's fake gambling. Bring it on.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    For this to work we would need to move to Vbull which honestly is a bitch to work with. Plus, we will lose the current look for good. But I will try harder on it.
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited April 2011
    Everyone forum that has vBookie has it turned into a circle jerk over worthless points.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    For this to work we would need to move to Vbull which honestly is a bitch to work with. Plus, we will lose the current look for good. But I will try harder on it.

OK, I am confused. I thought you were in the process of upgrading to VB4?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    OK, I am confused. I thought you were in the process of upgrading to VB4?
    I think he means that we can upgrade, but he is still trying to find a way to keep the &T skin. Right?

^Yep, I have to start with Zero for VB4. Look at Totse2 theme, they're using VB4. It's a bitch for it to look anything close to what we have here.
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    :facepalm:I hate sports, don't do it, it's not a gambling place here..fcuck.!

Might as well add Rep points while were at it. :facepalm:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    TSAoD wrote: »
    Might as well add Rep points while were at it. :facepalm:

How is this anything like rep points? Rep points are a popularity contest. This is a virtual betting system that nobody is forced to participate in. It is not based on whether or not other people like or dislike you. It is based on your ability to predict the outcome of sporting events.

Now if you don't like sports or gambling then you simply don't use it. How would it affect you or anyone else who did not wish to use it?
  • edited April 2011
    Perhaps it could start as a link to a small website, by invitation only, with the invites given to members in good standing (posted in last 30 days, not currently in the penalty box). A simple series of spreadsheets, one for each event, with the betting line, the users names, and the amounts wagered. I can pretty much see it in my head, fuck me if I would have a clue how to set it up.