Changing fingerprints

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
How would you go about changing your prints, and is it actually worth it in the long run? I mean, sure you have different prints. But forensic evidence also includes skin particles, the grease from your hands, DNA, etc, right?

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Not really any reliable way to.

No.

Best bet is to remove them altogether, but the scars are just as unique as fingerprints. So if you get picked up for something, they could match your lack of prints to crimes you have committed with your new prints.

Back in 03 they were working on getting DNA from fingerprints, but I don't think anything ever became of it. So no they can't at the moment.
  • edited April 2011
    DNA can be obtained from fingerprints. Wear a pair of powderless latex or nitrile gloves, although obvious, try not to get your fingerprints on the outside of them. :facepalm:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Interesting, but how many places actually have the technology, or care enough to use it. I would assume you would hear more about it if it was in regular use.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Your best bet is to not get your prints connected to anything illegal in the first place, this is oh so much easier than changing your fingerprints. Remember to wear your gloves kiddies. There's a textfile or two on the subject in the textfile archive somewhere, but I'm going to guess that it's full of BS.
  • edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Interesting, but how many places actually have the technology, or care enough to use it. I would assume you would hear more about it if it was in regular use.

*shrugs*

A few dollars or pounds for a box of gloves or possibly a few weeks/months/years in jail. I know which option I'd take.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    If you already have a record with the popos

Dont change your prints. When they catch you and find you

altered your prints. BYE BYE for you
  • drewfleadrewflea Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    like whats said above, not a lot of places have the technology to extract DNA from fingerprints. not to mention, the amount of DNA that will come out off of a fingerprint will be very little. its very hard to work with reactions with very little DNA. I work in a nucleic acid lab, and i have PhDs that have a hard time doing it, and they've been doing it for a while! who's to say that the 2yr forensics can do it very well???

above that, they're are a lot of DNA inhibitors that can harm DNA until placed into some kind of buffer to keep it safe. there are more things that can go wrong, before they can go right.

best thing you can do is:
    wear gloves like said above...

if you really want to hide your identity VIA DNA:

i can write a document about PCR inhibitors and methodology...
    but read this

http://www.promega.com/resources/articles/profiles-in-dna/2007/an-introduction-to-pcr-inhibitors/
  • edited April 2011
    ^ Wow, that was an extremely informative post. Thanks! :D Will read through that link you posted, it looks like an interesting subject.
  • drewfleadrewflea Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    but it can go both ways, the little DNA they can get goes into something called PCR. which duplicates DNA so they can get more... however, if they are successful at that, they got an infinite amount of your DNA.

but, its easier said than done. especially working in uncontrolled environments like outdoors, on a knife, a gun, a door, etc.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Not reliable.

Any damage that is done to your fingerprints will make them more unique and easier to identify.
    Ridgelines go down to the dermis of your fingers, making the damage necessary for removal extremely painful.
    Worse still, the fingerprints would come back to a certain extent when pores grew back.

Tl;dr : Wear gloves.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    A) Wear Gloves
    B) Learn to Social Engineer
    C) DO NOT watch Hollywood flims.