IP Address Locations Pinned Down To a Half-Mile

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
The researchers, led by Yong Wang, used a variety of statistical techniques to combine data from 163 public ping servers and 136 traceroute servers into a precise estimate of the range of possible physical locations for a particular IP address. They state that, despite the large number of data sources they need to combine, their technique is capable of real-time use, giving results in just one or two seconds in real-world applications. The novel technique uses several iterations to successively hone in on a target's location.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/04/getting-warmer-an-ip-address-can-map-you-within-half-a-mile.ars

That shit's getting a bit scary now. I hate the idea of being traced to an approximate location, let alone one which is down to the nearest half-mile! What does everyone else think about this, particularly those who are paranoid fucks like I am? :D I think it's time to start proxying everything, for the lulz.

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that with this technique, people might be able to pin down others down to half-mile.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Another reason for not putting any &T propaganda near to where I live, eh? But yeah, Big Brother is as big as you make it, but just don't be retarded, really.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Imagine all the girls we can stalk and rape awesome.
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Another reason for not putting any &T propaganda near to where I live, eh? But yeah, Big Brother is as big as you make it, but just don't be retarded, really.

Heh, you're probably on to something there bro. You put up propaganda in your area, get flagged for it and they determine that you're the only person in a half-mile radius who visits Totse... You're then fucked. The only way around this is to constantly use a proxy to visit the site, so your real IP address isn't given out... EVER.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    ^Thinks of a solution.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Back in the day on chat sites I would look up people's IP addresses, get a general coordinate that's no where near accurate and scare them in to leaving the site forever. With this I'll soon be able to do it for real, so I'm pretty hype. This isn't a problem for me thanks to Tor & other proxies. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2011
    So where is the link to do the search? :D

Well, I just used the locator tool on this page... http://www.whatsmyip.org/more/ and it's definitely a LOT more accurate than it was before. However, it's still way out.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Time to wrap my house in foil :o
  • edited April 2011
    I'm starting to wonder if the general public can actually search for IP address locations as precise as a half mile, or if it's only something which law enforcements can use... Which would be stupid, seeing as they can get the exact location from an ISP. Hmmmmmm!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    I use a VPN so I don't really care.
  • TSAoDTSAoD Regular
    edited April 2011
    I use a VPN so I don't really care.

Unless you stack VPN with Socks proxy then go through an HTTP proxy, you're not safe!
  • edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    Only one solution, don't use Net :)

lol

By the way , in a while with the use of only IPV6, there will be no use of using tor or proxies...your real ip will be visible and traced in milliseconds.:)

Huh, why?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    TSAoD wrote: »
    Unless you stack VPN with Socks proxy then go through an HTTP proxy, you're not safe!

W/E kid, I have been in IT for almost 20 years, I think I know how to cover my ass.