The Militia — Totseans

The Militia

Who was a member on any of the previous tM boards? I was just looking through my screenshots folder and came across this picture of tM's .org domain...

OV.png

Brings back memories. It was a really tight-knit place and it was awesome.

Comments

  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    I was just a lurker but I miss tM. :sad:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm planning on joining but I'm still stuck on whether I should apply to the army or Marines.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Used to post there like mad. Had 20,000 posts.







    (not really)
  • edited April 2011
    If anyone has some screenshots of the other tM boards, please post them here. We can get a little nostalgia jerk going :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I was a contributing member of tM. Direct any hate my way please, but I saved a few of their files...somewhere. Slim was quite a useful bloke to know online, as he had some good techniques. That's about all I remember though, apart from raids.
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I was a contributing member of tM. Direct any hate my way please, but I saved a few of their files...somewhere. Slim was quite a useful bloke to know online, as he had some good techniques. That's about all I remember though, apart from raids.

    I've got a few tM files saved on my HDD too :D I posted them up on Totse already though, especially the ones which SLIM posted. He's a member on Totse, by the way. In fact, I'm pretty sure he visits here often :)
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I was a regular there, tM was the best. That forum really opened my mind up to the world of crime, way more so than Totse did.
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've got a few tM files saved on my HDD too :D I posted them up on Totse already though, especially the ones which SLIM posted. He's a member on Totse, by the way. In fact, I'm pretty sure he visits here often :)

    Haha I didn't know he was even still around.
  • LonewolfLonewolf Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    tM went through a few domain changes, though I think we all can admit that after the first one that's when it started to degrade.

    Good times..
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    tM went through a few domain changes, though I think we all can admit that after the first one that's when it started to degrade.

    Agreed. The first militia was &TOTSE MILITIA and was a very small group mainly consisting of a few good posters in Bad Ideas and NS&H from totse, after the first militia went down, it started to recruit from rorta and rotteneggs as well as have members join from RE out of interest, after tM buttfucked it; it seeked to accomodate "anonymous" types more and more as well. This is when it completely went to shit and never recovered. It became more of an idea trading zone rather than the exclusive black market, cop hating and personal army (for those who contributed) type website it originally was.

    The truth is, alot of people grow up, their views change and these sites become less interesting. People are more interested in what's happening on the internet, 4chan, twitter and facebook in particular.

    I'd rather join up to exclusive lockpicking websites to learn about that and g to legal brewing communities to learn how to brew my own booze. As for shoplifting, you grow out of it if you're worth anything as a person and don't need to.

    It was mainly the helping hand in ebay, paypal and other online scams which made it a decent place for the time it was set up.
  • edited May 2011
    Couldn't have said it any better myself man :thumbsup: Of course, you say it with experience as I wasn't even on the original tM, but I can still familiarize with the fact that people grow out of these fads. When I was younger, I couldn't get enough of that stuff. It was like new information on things which I never thought existed - I was so innocent and had a shit load of new things to read and learn about :D It was awesome, to say the least. Now I'm a bit older and although I'll occasionally share some knowledge or experience on fringe topics, I never really partake in them. Things like shoplifting etc - there's no point anymore when you can get a job, get things legitimately and fairly. I guess if I was homeless then it would be more of a necessity, but I'm not homeless.

    I'm holding onto Totse as possibly the last ever unique forum I'll post on. I love reading about scams and fringe stuff, and I don't think there's many places left which actually openly discuss it anymore. The internet has changed :(
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    The internet has changed :(

    It always does. From the stories of those reading of a BBS in an underground magazine, my own experience of 'dynamic communities' - not a commmunity at all but an irregular group of people who seem to bump into each other at sources and distrobution points of information - be it home brew webs sites back in the day, anglefire or those eastern european and russian cracked software sites where you dont have a clue what goes on as its all in cyrilic text apart from file links, totse and then the great unwashed raining down on the internet and making it a place where people assumed safety and as such meant that things had to be policed.

    I do remember the wild west days and it was better - although bullshit existed, you could see it at a glance and move on. Myspace, facebook, wiki, you tube et al - everyone takes them for granted.

    There are however, many portals that lead to places that while not 'wild west' are like the rotten underbelly of a post industrial conurbation. Back in the day, everyone used to treat everything as 'not safe'. With the technologically inept internet users now numbering more than those who know how to do something as basic as view a bit of source code, what we had - a modern day roman carne where you learned to survive - is gone.

    Whilst it is nice to reminisce of days of old, one must also look forward. To where, I ask, to where?
  • edited May 2011
    Where the internet is actually heading, I have no idea. It could go anywhere, although I don't really see it going back to being incredibly awesome once again unless we get a new generation of modern-day 2007 type people posting in places. I'd love to see a modernized version of 2007, when the internet seemed to be incredible. There was information on so much stuff, things like hacking Windows XP and shoplifting were topics which greatly interested me just because I'd never read anything like it before.

    Now all this information is washed up and useless, and no one seems to be writing anything new :(
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    2007

    Why then man? I could say 1997 - when I started using the internet a lot?

    It is probably down to the volume of learning available - when something is new, you soak up everything you can, when you have soaked up that, you feel disillisioned with it?

    It is all about setting goals and choosing roads my friend. Set the goal, pick the path and walk it, turning over each leaf and stone as you pass, noticing everything, missing nothing.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    Blogging seems to be the future of the internet; which isn't such a bad thing. I've read a lot of thought provoking blogs. If people want to find it they will stumble on it and comment. Blogs aren't set up to encourage as much participation from morons, as much as forums are.

    The thing with a lot of fringe topics is the information can and often does become outdated very quickly, some of it not very often. ID fraud is one thing which is going to be around for a hell of a long time, hell even the baby birth certificate method works still, but not in the way described in old textfiles; it's much more complex than that. A lot of people who write guides don't seem to partake in them or even properly research them (the authorities will usually be wise by the time the knowledge is mainstream too), some are even based spectacularly on myths and then get parroted. I proved that when I wrote a car theft "guide" for bombshock that involved dusing a tennis ball to open a car lock... purposeful misinformation... the thread was stickied by a dumbass mod for upto 6 months until a member (Beyond) came back and refuted the bullshit. The mod was then demodded.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    Needless to say, I can still condone certain scams against certain groups of people; but they're for reasons many people disagree with, they're my own reasons. These are scams which rely solely on their stupidity too... I'm thinking dating scams as a perfect example and various advanced fee scams. A lot of people don't seem to have integrity to their own people, which is what usually separates the scumbags from the criminal masterminds, who also do respectable deeds for their people and community.

    Needless to say, I wouldn't mind a new community arising and helping out with it; there would just have to be major changes.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    The thing is - any kind of guide that will 'baby walk' someone through some thing is ussually 10 years out of date or used as a misonformation tool. It should not be about giving some one a step by step bit of information. Any action should be organic and down to the person doing it and the situation. Give an idea or a pointer, rather than a step by step manual. Once such a thing exsits, it is out of date and can only be a negative for all involved if it is freely available.

    I do share your ideas of who are what you should not target and for myself alone, if I was to combine it with a desired outcome from my own agenda, the way forwards is obvious.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    DIzzIe put it best in his mutatis mutandis article about that.
  • edited May 2011
    Nope. That site was for criminals
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited May 2011
    This thread made me nostalgia HARD
  • edited May 2011
    Nope. That site was for criminals

    Not entirely. Do I look like a criminal to you? ;) It was more than just that, it was a resource of interesting information. It also opened my eyes to a LOT of stuff.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Nope. That site was for criminals

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    You might appreciate.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    I honestly don't get what people's big problem is with The Daily Mail. It always seems to be lib-dem supporters who bitch about it the most (like they do everything). There have been many times where the Daily Mail just tells it how it is; the opinion pieces aren't that great, but they never are in any paper... but even then the Daily Mail's are more entertaining to read if that's your cup of tea.

    It's certainly not worse than The Sun. Now those editors are thick as pig shit. I believe most people don't like it because it touches on controversial topics a lot, such as immigration, South Asian child molesting rings, political incompetence and is less politically correct than other papers. The fact that it was pro-fascism in the 1930s and early 1940s isn't a bad thing either, in my opinion.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    I honestly don't get what people's big problem is with The Daily Mail. It always seems to be lib-dem supporters who bitch about it the most (like they do everything). There have been many times where the Daily Mail just tells it how it is; the opinion pieces aren't that great, but they never are in any paper... but even then the Daily Mail's are more entertaining to read if that's your cup of tea.

    It's certainly not worse than The Sun. Now those editors are thick as pig shit. I believe most people don't like it because it touches on controversial topics a lot, such as immigration, South Asian child molesting rings, political incompetence and is less politically correct than other papers. The fact that it was pro-fascism in the 1930s and early 1940s isn't a bad thing either, in my opinion.

    Nothing wrong with The Sun - the vast majority of people who complain about that newspaper are people who need shit spoon fed to them. As they have heard from a friend (again, usually a left leaner) that it is all made up shit. Sure, some of the quotes are made up, some things are a little inacuarate, but if you can think for yourself you can easily pull the facts out of any story in it. Newspapers are not Encyclopedia Britannica - at best, they are a medium to pick up on a news story but for the main part they are another form of entertainment and titilation.

    If we were to compare a story in The Sun and the same story in the guardian, The Sun would almost declare a bias in its style of journalism whereas the guardian would try to hide it and brainwash you.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with The Sun - the vast majority of people who complain about that newspaper are people who need shit spoon fed to them. As they have heard from a friend (again, usually a left leaner) that it is all made up shit. Sure, some of the quotes are made up, some things are a little inacuarate, but if you can think for yourself you can easily pull the facts out of any story in it. Newspapers are not Encyclopedia Britannica - at best, they are a medium to pick up on a news story but for the main part they are another form of entertainment and titilation.

    If we were to compare a story in The Sun and the same story in the guardian, The Sun would almost declare a bias in its style of journalism whereas the guardian would try to hide it and brainwash you.

    You'll get no argument from me about The Guardian. The one thing I remember about The Sun last year was when they published the story about Nick Griffin being stripped of his law degree on April the 1st;
    Angry Cambridge University Strips Nick Griffin of His Degree


    BNP leader Nick Griffin is set to be stripped of his degree by Cambridge.

    It would be the first time EVER an ex-student's qualification has been revoked.

    Bigot Griffin, 51, graduated from the university's Downing College in 1980 with a 2:2 honours in law. But chiefs want to cut all ties with the extremist.

    Cambridge's governing body passed a motion to annul Griffin's degree on Wednesday by 64 per cent. The proposal just needs to be ratified by the vice-chancellor to become official.

    Spokesman Tim Holt said: "This is highly irregular, but well within the limits of the governing body. The university can't afford to be connected with such a widely-reviled figure."

    The sun removed it from their website, because the story was an April Fools Day story first hosted on a Cambridge students The Tab website here;

    http://cambridgetab.co.uk/news/youre-nicked/

    In their haste to print a story attacking Nick Griffin and the BNP, any story will do, The Sun printed an April Fools Day story AS THE TRUTH and then when they were found out had to pull the story from their website.

    I also remember The Sun printed the smear story about the Gurkhas in the European Election campaign 2 years ago, they had to remove that story from their website too, when it was revealed that the whole story was a bogus story set up by a Labour Party front group in Newcastle.

    Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg
    The Sun printed lies about Liverpool football fans after the Hillsborough tragedy.

    I see The Sun as one of the best examples of how low the media will sink, and how dumb they are, in order to smear the BNP and other people. The Sun is more of a propaganda rag... but it's not as bad as The Guardian. I still say The Daily Mail is the best out of them all. Another thing I've seen daily mail attackers resort to is the semantics of article titles. Anyone not trying to grasp at straws can see what's being said and the points being made. Like you say though, it's all good if you can think for yourself; I just despise irrational, straw-grasping attacks on The Daily Mail because it publishes controversial articles that their leftist ass doesn't like.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    You'll get no argument from me about The Guardian. The one thing I remember about The Sun last year was when they published the story about Nick Griffin being stripped of his law degree on April the 1st;

    The sun removed it from their website, because the story was an April Fools Day story first hosted on a Cambridge students The Tab website here;

    In their haste to print a story attacking Nick Griffin and the BNP, any story will do, The Sun printed an April Fools Day story AS THE TRUTH and then when they were found out had to pull the story from their website.

    That is a fair cop - however, a decade ago, I was a writer for a satirical online 'newspaper'. I mostly wrote about fishing quotas and scatalogical articles.

    On two occasions, Ian Hislop re-published stories from the website in Private Eye believing them to be the truth. A more than cursory glance at the website (and a check on registered journalists or a trawl of companies house website) would have shown to him that their was no substance behind it. He could have looked at one of my articles on how a middle eastern minority group were collecting donkey shit to send to the UK so we could burn it in our power stations rather than importing coal from Antartica! to help with global warming.

    He was pulled up on Have I Got News For You several times about how he was duped not once, but twice with crazy stories. Being that he is the most sued man in British legal history, you would think he would pay more attention.
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    I also remember The Sun printed the smear story about the Gurkhas in the European Election campaign 2 years ago, they had to remove that story from their website too, when it was revealed that the whole story was a bogus story set up by a Labour Party front group in Newcastle.

    What can I say, those of us brough up on the banks of the Tyne are good at wind ups? successful troll was successful.

    Negrophobe wrote: »
    The Sun printed lies about Liverpool football fans after the Hillsborough tragedy.

    Are you alluding to the story of 'Sousers piss on dead bodies'? If so, it is fact. Be it that the dead and dying involuntary pissed on the other dead and dying, or those escaping pissed themselves in fear from the situation enfolding, some of the dead at Hillsborough were covered in piss that was not their own.

    I know several scousers who would not buy The Sun because of it, but admit themselves that the dead were covered in the piss of others. The Sun just put a slant on it.

    Negrophobe wrote: »
    I see The Sun as one of the best examples of how low the media will sink, and how dumb they are, in order to smear the BNP and other people. The Sun is more of a propaganda rag... but it's not as bad as The Guardian. I still say The Daily Mail is the best out of them all. Another thing I've seen daily mail attackers resort to is the semantics of article titles. Anyone not trying to grasp at straws can see what's being said and the points being made. Like you say though, it's all good if you can think for yourself; I just despise irrational, straw-grasping attacks on The Daily Mail because it publishes controversial articles that their leftist ass doesn't like.

    Do not think of The Sun as 'the media' or any other newspaper for that matter - they are just businesses at the end of the day, and scandal sells. Who gives a fuck who you upset when you are in the business of making money. Newspapers like The Sun do not rely on journalistic integrity, they rely on copies sold so they can charge more for advertising space.

    However, we both agree that if you can see the wood from the trees, you can read what you like, treat it as 'fun' and not think it was reliable as an accademic journal (however, you must ALWAYS question the reason for any journal article and who has funded it, and compare this against the results of the study).

    I am sure you will agree with me that when some one publishes something, they have a reason for doing so - that it is in some way in their interest - and both you and I know many fair an balanced accademic studies have not been published as the owners and editors of such journals - although the recognise the validity of any conclusions - know that it will have a negative imapact on the bottom line and so do not publish.

    The truth is always hidden - sometimes for political reasons, sometimes for economic ones; those in control will treat people as mushrooms as much as they can.
Sign In or Register to comment.