How to crack a WEP key using Backtrack Linux

wep1.png

How to crack a WEP key using Backtrack Linux

This guide has been temporarily removed by myself due to outdated information. I will update this soon with my own written guide, which will be much easier to understand and will actually work properly.

Peace :D

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Use List tag for numbers :), Center only images and headings.

Thanks for contributing. I will add a picture shortly.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited September 2010
    I've tried this method before but I don't think my wireless card in my laptop works with things like this. I remember reading something about the wireless card requirements but I've completely forgotten them since.
  • edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Use List tag for numbers :), Center only images and headings.

Thanks for contributing. I will add a picture shortly.

Thanks for adding the picture and editing that a little. Also I updated the link, which was old and didn't work.

Also, in response to someone about wireless cards - some of them just don't like Linux :(
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Thanks for adding the picture and editing that a little. Also I updated the link, which was old and didn't work.

Also, in response to someone about wireless cards - some of them just don't like Linux :(

Ahhh. Well that sucks, is there any way to make them be friends?
  • edited September 2010
    I heard that you can use Windows drivers to make them friends, but I really have no idea how it works.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I've tried this method before but I don't think my wireless card in my laptop works with things like this. I remember reading something about the wireless card requirements but I've completely forgotten them since.

I think you need Atheros Cards.
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I think you need Atheros Cards.

That sounds familiar.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    It's not that you specifically need atheros cards or a windows driver to use the hack. Your wireless card must support monitoring mode.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Might want to fix the link to the download.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

• Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    Atheros cards carry monitoring mode, but other cards can do the same job
  • edited September 2010
    I think your card also needs to support injection to get this working as well.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    I think your card also needs to support injection to get this working as well.

Ah yes a very good point.. my senile mind forgot.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Would I be able to boot a liveCD on a mac?

I've heard the success rates of using Backtrack are decent and I was just wondering if my Airport Card would work with it.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Excellent guide. :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Would I be able to boot a liveCD on a mac?

I've heard the success rates of using Backtrack are decent and I was just wondering if my Airport Card would work with it.

I reckon that would work out, just as long as your BIOS is set to boot from a disc first.
  • edited November 2010
    Updated OP with some information regarding this guide. Sorry for the downtime!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Network (in)Security
    CMS Status: Incomplete
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    This guide has been temporarily removed by myself due to outdated information. I will update this soon with my own written guide, which will be much easier to understand and will actually work properly.

Peace :D

So how bout them updates? :hai:
  • cry0cry0 Regular
    edited April 2011
    seems vaguely familiar trx :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited April 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    You will be suprised. There are a lot of WEP encrypted Access Points in Australia. I'd imagine it's the same all over the world.

Most of them were set up when WEP was the main wireless protection and have remained untouched since.
  • edited April 2011
    Debating whether or not to take the time to write another one of these guides. It's information which can be found very easily on the internet just because it's so simple to perform. I'll give it some thought, and if I get bored then you might get lucky! :)
  • edited April 2011
    ^ I don't really care for skiddie tools. Anyone can run a program and do something, but you don't learn anything from doing so. By following a guide which explains something, you can understand the fundamentals behind how things work and you'll learn a lot more. Plus, it's more fun and you get to play around with Backtrack a little bit :)