No-tech Hacking - Entering Buildings and Restricted Areas

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
The information you can gather from simply sitting and watching people or places is incredible. It's no wonder people can get into pretty much anywhere they want without being asked questions, just because they look the part and they know what they're doing. For example, look at this picture which I took earlier today...

yB29086pOh71hhq96kmJ5u3o5LMf1rKPEaiLpptSS6678OQ8sl5l5DDeT7u30717iy832cL92hS9.jpg

I was sitting there, watching this keypad. Behind the door was a restricted area for staff members only, probably consisting of something worth keeping secure. I don't have a clue what actually lies behind the door as I didn't go inside, but with the right tools of the trade, anyone could find themselves through the door in seconds.

The first thing I was watching was a woman walking up to the door. She was wearing uniform, she had a name badge and she looked the part. This is something to consider before attempting to enter a restricted area, as without the correct uniform, you'd stick out like a sore thumb. She walked up to the keypad and entered the 4 digit password, in plain sight for me to see. She was right handed too, which made my view of the keypad much easier. With a swift press of the "Enter" key, she unlocked the door and went inside.

So, now we know that uniformed personnel can access this restricted area using a 4 digit password which can be entered on the keypad next to the door. We also can tell that the door is under surveillance thanks to the big sticker on the door, giving us further clues that the area is restricted for a good reason.

This is a basic principle which can be applied in many different situations, but works very well! Give it a shot next time you're bored and sitting somewhere.

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    That chink has some NASTY ass legs. Ugh.

*chick

*I meant to write chick.
  • edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    That chink has some NASTY ass legs. Ugh.

Wasn't a chink - she was some random girl who looked like she'd been playing sports outside. That shit on her legs is just dirt :thumbsup: Still not too attractive though!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    It's always amazing what you can find out by simple observation.

Did you look through the windows to see what there was?
  • edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    It's always amazing what you can find out by simple observation.

Did you look through the windows to see what there was?

Staff members were going up a staircase immediately as they went through the door, unfortunately :( The window to the right was mirrored glass too. Looks like it's supposed to be pretty locked down and out of the way, whatever's in there!
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    On topic, I've experienced something similar in a hospital.

When my friend was in the ER, I and some visitors were allowed inside. They have tones of stretchers laid outside and family members can visit there while the paperwork is done and the patient is transported to a room. Well anyways, I was a bit sad but then I noticed a large door with a keypad on it. The door was behind the enclosed office so in order for them to check, they would have to exit the office and go to the back.

I recall seeing a doc with a lab coat go inside and I remember it being very visible. The lock was shaped somewhat like this:
    freeship-access-controller-door-security-system-rfid-keypad-door-timing-controller-10-tags-ot394-356163.jpeg
    The slant was inverted so if one was to sit on a bench looking gloomy as shit, no one would suspect anything. Besides, the slant favors the one sitting on the left, casually they have benches on the left side of the room, which is where I was sitting. I would assume they hold meds in there, meh. Jackpot for a junkie? lol
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I do this every time.
    It works like this, whenever I enter a bank I will just check different security cams and since I know how CCTV works and I know the Cams used, I can pretty much stay in the blind spot, I then run a survey about the systems used by the bank, like which Company brand they prefer. I look for the Wireless Network (by scanning or Wifi Routers) or I try to spot the Network backbone which they usually hide from view.

In short, I love observing things. When I am waiting in line I try to simulate different scenarios in which someone might attack that place or if I tried to attack that place what would I do.

It's a great time pass IMO.
  • jimdil4stjimdil4st New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    I have a pretty good E-book on this specific subject. I'm uploading it to RapidShare now so I'll post a link when its done.

RS Link: https://rapidshare.com/files/459211334/No_Tech_Hacking_tqw__darksiderg.pdf
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the file.