Dental Health

DfgDfg Admin
edited May 2011 in Life
It’s been almost 16+ years since I went to a dentist and today I had a chance to get my teeth checked. I brush daily and I try to keep my mouth clean as possible. Most girls and guys don't care about teeth or they usually get pwned in their childhood. I was a bit lucky since I was slim and didn't really love sugar that much. Plus, I loved poking around my teeth.

I did find some marks that indicated that I might be getting some issues in the future. Since I don't smoke, drink way less Soda and only drink tea I expecting some degradation over the years.

The doctor was impressed with my teeth’s but she did point out that although it looks good from the outside the inner area needs cleaning. I was expecting his because let’s be honest I didn't get my teeth checked anyway.

So, after few minutes of high pressured water cleaning and me trying to control myself from giggling like a girl, I got my teeth washed. The process will be done in two stages.

The first one went well today and I am impressed with the results. My teeth are clean and I see no yellow marks which you can expect due to lack of vitamins and tea. On Monday I will go there again and according to the slip:
Complete Sealing, Root Planning and Polishing will be done on that day.

This means my teeth will be shining bright and they will be good for 10 years or so, provided I don't fuck up which I know I won’t. It won't cost me a fortune but honestly it's a lot better than getting your teeth pulled out.

The point is, if you're going to reinvent yourself and do workout and other form of exercise, it would be wise to get your teeth checked. Who knows it might save you tons of resources in the future and also a perfectly working dental system ensures that food gets chewed up correctly and by getting them cleaned and fixed you will get a positive feel about your body.

I think I am lucky considering the food I ate and the water I drink in Pakistan, sure it might cost you a bit more in US but trust me guys it's worth it. I feel so much better now and actually I am proud of my laziness in this matter.

Because if I got my teeth checked when I was 15-18 I was bound to get them fucked up because not all dentist care about your teeth. But since I learned things thanks to the Internet and I selected the Dentist after she performed 4 operations on my close relatives I was sure she wouldn't fuck up and thank Thor she didn't.

Protip: Brush daily and floss only if required.

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited May 2011
    I never get my teeth checked. I smoke, but I don't eat sugary stuffs. I've had one cavity since I was a kid, and nothing else. I did eat sweets a bit when I was quite young, but I physically can't stomach them at all anymore.

I had my teeth checked twice in the Army, once on entrance, and once on discharge. Both were a good to go. No cavities or anything.

You have to be careful in the U.S., because private practice dentists want nothing more than do fill non existent cavities and give you pointless braces. They are paid by procedure here, so if they can find the most miniscule thing, they will say you need a $5,000 procedure.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Grrr, my dentist has gone private (no longer on the pay of the NHS). Means I have to find another dentist because that means I get healthcare for free. I have a good mind to throw a brick through his window.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Good for 10 years? lol Dfg.

I go once a year. hate when they go inbetween gums. *shivers.* The tickling pain is just terrible. I always grip the arm rests like a kid.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Good for 10 years? lol Dfg.

I go once a year. hate when they go inbetween gums. *shivers.* The tickling pain is just terrible. I always grip the arm rests like a kid.

I giggle like a little girl when that happens. It's a bitch to stop lol'ing hard.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited May 2011
    Brushing with baking soda is better for your teeth than toothpaste as fluoride will slowly wear down enamel. Baking soda promotes strong healthy and white teeth.
  • edited May 2011
    I was damn lucky with my teeth, I have shelled out the dough for cleaning and X rays every 4 years or so, and most times the dentist was happy,,,until 2 years ago when I slipped in a parking lot and the resulting crunch shattered one of my molars. I went to the dentist immediately and was told a surgical extraction was needed, about $600cnd, or 1/2 to 2/3 of a paycheque. I am sad to admit that I have been a pussy, both about the cash, and the discomfort, since then, and still have not had the fucker pulled. Two big chunks have come off, and the resulting pit needs to be cleaned constantly or I run the risk of toothaches and abcesses, both of which have happened, and were lessons in pain. The pulp is rotting away, and when I am with my GF, I stick a wad of mint gum into the hole to stop the smell. I am actually very ashamed of the whole situation, I usually deal with shit better than this. I have been very tempted to deal with it myself, some coke, a syringe, some pliers, a bottle of Jack(liquor of choice for home surgery), you get the idea, but I know this could make it much worse. Oh well, something shitty enough will eventually force the issue.

C/O
    "ouch"
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    I was damn lucky with my teeth, I have shelled out the dough for cleaning and X rays every 4 years or so, and most times the dentist was happy,,,until 2 years ago when I slipped in a parking lot and the resulting crunch shattered one of my molars. I went to the dentist immediately and was told a surgical extraction was needed, about $600cnd, or 1/2 to 2/3 of a paycheque. I am sad to admit that I have been a pussy, both about the cash, and the discomfort, since then, and still have not had the fucker pulled. Two big chunks have come off, and the resulting pit needs to be cleaned constantly or I run the risk of toothaches and abcesses, both of which have happened, and were lessons in pain. The pulp is rotting away, and when I am with my GF, I stick a wad of mint gum into the hole to stop the smell. I am actually very ashamed of the whole situation, I usually deal with shit better than this. I have been very tempted to deal with it myself, some coke, a syringe, some pliers, a bottle of Jack(liquor of choice for home surgery), you get the idea, but I know this could make it much worse. Oh well, something shitty enough will eventually force the issue.

C/O
    "ouch"

Dude, get it fixed!
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011

C/O
    "ouch"
    :eek::eek: Mate, that sounds bad!! Save up your money and get it fixed dude!!! lol
  • edited May 2011
    Grrr, my dentist has gone private (no longer on the pay of the NHS). Means I have to find another dentist because that means I get healthcare for free. I have a good mind to throw a brick through his window.

Lol, this happened to my dentist. I still go there though, despite the costs. To be honest, I wouldn't trust another dentist to take care of my teeth. I brush and use mouthwash frequently though, so I'm good. Never had a problem with my teeth, ever.
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited May 2011
    Brushing with baking soda is better for your teeth than toothpaste as fluoride will slowly wear down enamel. Baking soda promotes strong healthy and white teeth.

Untrue. Brushing with baking soda on a daily basis will wear down your enamel so that white spots where the teeth are "stronger" start to show up, as white patches. This also happens with tooth whitening kits. I was told by my dentist that some people can get away with the baking soda every day, but for most, once a week is plenty.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited May 2011
    I stand corrected. Thank-you.