Who is Osama Bin Laden?

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/03/many-teens-search-who-is-osama-bin-laden-yahoo

Teens who were tots on Sept. 11, 2001, want to know: Who is this Osama bin Laden guy, anyway?

According to Yahoo, searches for “Osama bin Laden” spiked by nearly 100% on Sunday, with 25% of those searches coming from people under 24.

The spike came after U.S. President Barack Obama announced that U.S. forces had killed the al-Qaida leader, who masterminded the 9/11 terrorist attacks against the U.S.

The fifth most popular related search was “Who is Osama bin Laden?” Teens between 13 and 17 made up 66% of that search.

The age statistics don’t reflect all searches, however.

“Individual users and their searches remain completely anonymous. The demographic and geographic data comes from our registered users who provide a location and age range when they sign up for a Yahoo account,” explained Yahoo spokeswoman Carolyn Clark.

Rather than look the 9/11 mastermind up on a search engine, a number of teenagers took to Twitter to express their confusion over the news that someone named Osama bin Laden had been killed.

Twitter user Ned Hepburn, who describes himself as a freelance writer based in New York City, collected some of the best “Who is Osama?” tweets on Monday.

Among those he retweeted were:

“ahhhhhilove beinh hyper. i feel slooow, who is osama?”

“im probably rearted for asking this.. but who is osama?! & why is it so good he died?”

“Who is Osama Bin Laden? Is he in a band aswell?”

Meanwhile, Yahoo’s top bin Laden searches on Sunday were “Is Osama bin Laden dead?” followed by “How did Osama bin Laden die?” and “Who killed Osama Bin Laden?”

The search engine saw a 119% spike in searches for Obama’s approval rating, a 610% spike in searches for “Pakistan news,” and a whopping 2,594% spike in searches for “Pakistan map.”

Search numbers also climbed for “US Flag,” “Star Spangled Banner lyrics,” and “Patriotic songs.”

QMI Agency has asked Google whether it saw any similar search spikes.

So this is the uninformed future of our society :facepalm:

Comments

• PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep fucking I can't believe it, some chav girl asked me and my mate this when we were making jokes about him.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    fags know more about pop culture than the world, this is what it's coming to :facepalm:
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited May 2011
    fags know more about pop culture than the world, this is what it's coming to :facepalm:

The sad thing is it's only going to get worse, all most people care about is how quick they can post a tweet about a cute dog they just saw in the street and where to buy the best skinny latte. :sad:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Prob brits.

I didn't know about some London bombing in '05 because the media here didn't make it a big deal.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Idiots, they have no concept of the outside world. I do agree with box, but most British people are switched on to current day events (and your right about the London bombings), chavs are chavs and should be hunted down and beaten with a stick.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited May 2011
    Chavs kept me "employed" when I was in college, onfact I'd still be tending to them now if I hadn't cut them off; however, they honestly are the product of low-IQ and dysgenic whites being allowed to breed (yes, they do exist, but on a lower level thanthe average nigger), and smoke themselves stupid whilst their little shit is inside them for 9 months.

The google searches are easily manipulated though, god knows how many times channers have done it. Twitter seems to attract a lot of morons, so I'm not surprised. A mass re-education program is in need; and by that I mean we round up every defect and sterilize them first. Chavs can be put to use in work houses, along with niggers who want no part of the nation.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited May 2011
    I am not surprised.

We have never seen his face, the "video footage" is most likely fake, there's a lot of myths around Osama, especially when his parents are rich and live in the United States. There is something wrong with this situation, and the government is keeping all the "evidence" from the public.

So, who cares if people don't know Osama is. YOU don't even know who he is because all you have seen is just some videos of some guy shooting a gun, and pictures.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    I am not surprised.

We have never seen his face, the "video footage" is most likely fake, there's a lot of myths around Osama, especially when his parents are rich and live in the United States. There is something wrong with this situation, and the government is keeping all the "evidence" from the public.

So, who cares if people don't know Osama is. YOU don't even know who he is because all you have seen is just some videos of some guy shooting a gun, and pictures.

That is beside the point. Not knowing the truth is one thing, but being so uninformed that you're not even aware of the name is just :facepalm:
  • edited May 2011
    Can't blame them really, given that Osama Bin Laden most likely has precisely zero relevance to anything in their lives. Knowing who is in the top ten singles chart is socially more useful to them than knowing the name of the USA's No. 1 bogeyman.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    We have heard of him.
    He has performed feats that shall be remembered.
    We've never really seen him.
    A representative higher than us says he is real.
    Some of you put your faith in what they say.

Therefore my conclusion is:
    He is Jesus Christ

Least we not forget:
    CIA operatives admit making false Osama video
    Spy Talk
    Jeff Stein
    CIA unit’s wacky idea: Depict Saddam as gay

During planning for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the CIA’s Iraq Operations Group kicked around a number of ideas for discrediting Saddam Hussein in the eyes of his people.

One was to create a video purporting to show the Iraqi dictator having sex with a teenage boy, according to two former CIA officials familiar with the project.

“It would look like it was taken by a hidden camera,” said one of the former officials. “Very grainy, like it was a secret videotaping of a sex session.”

The idea was to then “flood Iraq with the videos,” the former official said.

Another idea was to interrupt Iraqi television programming with a fake special news bulletin. An actor playing Hussein would announce that he was stepping down in favor of his (much-reviled) son Uday.

“I’m sure you will throw your support behind His Excellency Uday,” the fake Hussein would intone.

The spy agency’s Office of Technical Services collaborated on the ideas, which also included inserting fake “crawls” — messages at the bottom of the screen — into Iraqi newscasts.

The agency actually did make a video purporting to show Osama bin Laden and his cronies sitting around a campfire swigging bottles of liquor and savoring their conquests with boys, one of the former CIA officers recalled, chuckling at the memory. The actors were drawn from “some of us darker-skinned employees,” he said.
    So his existence is of no importance. :o