Preparing for the apocalypse

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited May 2011 in Life
Let's discuss what we need to prepare for an apocalypse.
I'll start with the electronics.

*10,000 White LEDs. The post apocalyptic world is going to need light, and an LED is best kind we have ATM.

*10,000 Resistors for those LEDs; 1kohm.

*Wire, miles of it. Self explanatory.

*Propane powered soldering iron and a lot of propane.

*Lots of solder.

*Nickle iron batteries, a bunch of them. These are rechargeable batteries that do not die. Ones made by edison a century ago still work just as good as they did in his time.

*Solar panels to charge those batteries.

*100 Miles of magnet wire and ferrite cores to make many high voltage transformers. If you think 12V DC is going to travel more than 300 feet you're mistaking. That's why power lines are high voltage.

*...and the components needed to drive the transformers (mosfets etc).

*Thousands of transistors, op amps and mosfets, capacitors, diodes and resistors. The world is going to need radio.

*A battery powered oscilloscope, inductance/capacitance meter, and digital multimeter. Just because.

*Lots of 7805, 7806, 7809, 7810, 7812 voltage regulators to provide power to...

*Walkie talkies.

I'll add to this list later.

Now you go. :o

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    You can't be serious. Are you going to try and rebuild the grid? If it's after the end of the world, why not just use the grid that's there.

Realistically stock up on:

Food
    Water
    Household items (TP and shit)
    Ammo?
    Medical supplies
    Fuel

Buy some land somewhere.

Learn about organic farming, woodworking, nursing, crafting. sewing, quilting, shit like that.

Check this out http://zombiehunters.org/forum/ every topic you can think of on survival, preparation, and the end of the world as we know it, has been beat to death there several times. A lot of good info.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    You can't be serious. Are you going to try and rebuild the grid? If it's after the end of the world, why not just use the grid that's there.

You have no idea how complicated our grid is do you? You also have no idea how shitty it actually is, and how much manpower it takes to run it.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    You have no idea how complicated our grid is do you? You also have no idea how shitty it actually is, and how much manpower it takes to run it.

So your little homebrew one is somehow going to be better?

I mainly meant using the parts, wires and shit from the old grid, instead of spending money to stockpile the shit.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Well first of all the grid has been rendered inoperable because of the apocalypse. The small grid's goal is to power LEDs all around the camp, not to run a freaking microwave.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Well first of all the grid has been rendered inoperable because of the apocalypse. The small grid's goal is to power LEDs all around the camp, not to run a freaking microwave.

Inoperable? So wires somehow aren't usable anymore. Like some freaky wire virus ate them?

Oh you mean like if a nuclear weapon melted them all to nothing? Well then you would be melted also. Case closed.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    Let's discuss what we need to prepare for an apocalypse.
    I'll start with the electronics.

*10,000 White LEDs. The post apocalyptic world is going to need light, and an LED is best kind we have ATM.

*10,000 Resistors for those LEDs; 1kohm.

*Wire, miles of it. Self explanatory.

*Propane powered soldering iron and a lot of propane.

*Lots of solder.

*Nickle iron batteries, a bunch of them. These are rechargeable batteries that do not die. Ones made by edison a century ago still work just as good as they did in his time.

*Solar panels to charge those batteries.

*100 Miles of magnet wire and ferrite cores to make many high voltage transformers. If you think 12V DC is going to travel more than 300 feet you're mistaking. That's why power lines are high voltage.

*...and the components needed to drive the transformers (mosfets etc).

*Thousands of transistors, op amps and mosfets, capacitors, diodes and resistors. The world is going to need radio.

*A battery powered oscilloscope, inductance/capacitance meter, and digital multimeter. Just because.

*Lots of 7805, 7806, 7809, 7810, 7812 voltage regulators to provide power to...

*Walkie talkies.

I'll add to this list later.

Now you go. :o

Fuck all that shit. Guns ammo food water and other essentials would be what you need.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited February 2011

Lights would be good and all but i think there would be a need for more pressing things like food, shelter etc. and why set up lights at night at all? down the road sure i guess after we've learned to live pre industrial age again.

Night would be for sleeping

There would be a need to efficiently utilize daylight
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited February 2011
    If i was preparing just for myself i would just go with the basics:

*A good axe. (Probably the one in the garage, used by my greatgrandfather, my grandfather and my father before me.)

*Heavy strong knife for chopping. (10in Bowie)

*Smaller knife for skinning and other delicate tasks. (Becker BK11)

*Multitool/swiss army knife.

*Backups for all the knives, if case one of them is destroyed.

*Firetools, ferocium rods and bic lighters.

*Supplies for sharpening and keeping tools in working order. (wheatstones of different grit, oil for the blades and handles)

*Water canteens, a few 1 and 2 liter USGI bottles. (with canteen cup)

*Fishing supplies, mostly for setting trotlines. (hooks and heavy line)

*Wire, for snares and construction. (and triplines for warning around camp)

*Rope, different strenghts and types from paracord to heavier stuff.

*Tarps, for shelter and water collection.

*Pots and pans for cooking.

*Wool blankets, a few different sizes and one made into a poncho.

*Food for a few days.

*Backpacks, smaller for dayhikes and a bigger for longer expeditions.

*3-4 changes of durable clothes, with extra layers for warmth in the colder months.

*Rain poncho.

*Compass and maps of the local area.

As you probably can guess i am not planing on carrying it all with me while "running to the hills".
    This is more meant to be used as supplies on food gathering expeditions around the area i live in.

Should i be required to evacuate the area i would carry far less, more supplies would have to be gathered along the way.

If i was planing for a group or a whole neighbourhood i would focus mostly on tools and supplies for construction and farming, with each person being responsible for his own personal equipment.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited February 2011

As you probably can guess i am not planing on carrying it all with me while "running to the hills".
    This is more meant to be used as supplies on food gathering expeditions around the area i live in.

You could easily carry all that with you if you just take a small pot and maybe 1 pan. You could take the tarps out of the equation because a poncho could be used to make a tent and for collecting rain. It wouldn't hurt to add something for purifying water.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited February 2011
    You could easily carry all that with you if you just take a small pot and maybe 1 pan. You could take the tarps out of the equation because a poncho could be used to make a tent and for collecting rain. It wouldn't hurt to add something for purifying water.

That is my winter gear, in the summer i would leave the axe, just bring the poncho and one wool blanket.
    The way i see it not much need to splitt logs for firewood in the summer, so a big knife will be enough.

Water around here is safe after boiling, but i have a survival straw type filter just in case.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Head to my mates as he works on an Army base. take a stockpile of my medication and wait it out.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I read this earlier and bit my tongue to be nice. But really you could scavenge the mats needed to do this on small level much easier if you had guns and ammo.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    I am pretty much prepped. I hope to spend the time between now and the apocalypse smoking reefer and drinking moscow mules.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011

The current grid is, indeed, a pile of shit.
    buddha wrote: »
    Inoperable? So wires somehow aren't usable anymore. Like some freaky wire virus ate them?

Oh you mean like if a nuclear weapon melted them all to nothing? Well then you would be melted also. Case closed.

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard AND have been sober. Props to you :D
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011
    Now then. End of the world scenario?

Assuming any plan that we could make on here would actually end up working, underground bunker. There are several companies locally where I am that rent out heavy equipment, and have lots of it on site.

Same with shipping containers.

If I had it my way, I'd dig out a large underground complex by digging a series of maze-like trenches in the ground, just large enough to put shipping containers into. All containers would have reinforced roofs (The corners are strong, and where they are stacked on cargo ships. The actual roof is rather weak).

The containers would be welded together once they were dumped into the desired configuration, so no water/earth/bugs could leak in. Dirt would be dumped back on top of said containers; nobody would realize this complex is even there.

For lighting, LEDs all the way. The leds are powered via rechargeable batteries. Since this is underground, the size of the batteries are not a problem, whatever kind would be the best long-term (Although, I was thinking Absorbed Glass Matt batteries).

The batteries are kept charged (Ideally) by solar panels. ASAP the panels would be located as far apart as electrically possible, eventually utilizing AC transformers (So if the panels are discovered, my location would not be necessarily given away).

For a backup, a large gasoline or diesel engine located underground with proper exhaust venting so I don't go to sleep forever. This generator would only be used when absolutely necessary, but also needs to be ready to go at any time (Maintenance).

Food: Anything in cans that will keep for long periods of time. And rice.

Water: 1 or 2 shipping containers can serve as large holding tanks for water, can be refilled via natural spring or well (How I currently get water where I live).

Heating/cooking food: Propane. Lots of propane. Perhaps a "Relocated" 100/200 gallon tank.

At least one ham radio.

...Why am I posting this. I need to find something better to do.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the led system would be a plus. they wouldn't atrack thieves and roaming gangs much and would be esily made into flash lights for on the go. i like kats plans
  • edited May 2011
    This thread makes me want to get on with making that Bug Out Bag and start learning some more survival tips. If shit really hit the fan and I had to get out of there quickly, I'd take my BoB and find a safe location. Come to think of it, I should probably start building a safe location nearby.
  • edited May 2011
    Buy something like this.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited May 2011
    Buy something like this.

:eek: :thumbsup: I WANT 1!!!
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I think, that if we are talking about a global scale preparation for an apocalypse then the first thing that needs to be corroborated is a server bank of information about everything that mankind knows which is kept in a bunker somewhere. With information, mankind can rebuild after the apocalypse. Then there is the warehouses of food and water supplies etc

Now if we thinking about personal preparation for apocalypse, then food, water, and as many solar panels as you can stock up on. Once we have electricity, then we have the opportunity to run as many electrical items as we wish like torches. 13579 has got the right idea.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Amazed nobody said any sort of seeds yet. Hemp and vegetables ftw.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Amazed nobody said any sort of seeds yet. Hemp and vegetables ftw.

Oh yeah, I never thought of that lol :D
  • edited May 2011
    Now if we thinking about personal preparation for apocalypse, then food, water, and as many solar panels as you can stock up on. Once we have electricity, then we have the opportunity to run as many electrical items as we wish like torches. 13579 has got the right idea.

In the event of a nuclear exchange or a massive meteorite strike, wind power would intially be a far more useful source of energy. I'd still want as large a store of fossil fuel as possible though, coal being my preferred option.

I'd happily burn trees too.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    In the event of a nuclear exchange or a massive meteorite strike, wind power would intially be a far more useful source of energy

Sailboat to GTFO?

Coal would be nice enough to have (I live in a part of the world we can pick it up on the beach) for the things you can extract from it fairly easily. Being by the beach is a good thing - beach coming, good sorces of protien and salt extraction from sea water. Unlike coal, wood does grow on trees.

I have the seeds covered otherwise I would have brought it up earlier - grow a shit load of veg anyway and allways keep old seeds - depending in the plant, the seeds last a good couple of years. Seed saving (leaving a few plants to run to seed themselves) with different plants is something I try every year to get there with the knowledge and skill.

I keep seeds such as red and white clover, hungarian rye and local meadow flower seeds as a put a different patch of my land to nature each year, let it recover some. They would be an excellent start for replanting old grass land - grazing animals rely on suppliments in modern farming as all they get is grass and a little poor clover when on pasture which has normally been dosed to within an inch of its life with nitrogen ferts to promote grass growth above all else. Some of the grazing land I know would take decades for the beneficial plants to re-establish themselves so I have a helping hand in a bag there.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    a revolver and enough bullets to kill me and my family.

There is no point in trying to survive. Just end it and enjoy the

spirit world, assholes.