My goldfish keeps eating stones

edited May 2011 in Life
It has such a big mouth that when it sucks up stuff from the floor, stones sometimes become lodged in it's mouth/throat. I just arrived home to find him upside down at the bottom of the tank, so I popped him into the net and had a look... Found a stone in his throat, but I managed to pop it back out again. Now he's laying on his side amongst the plants :facepalm:

Not sure what to do with this fellow, he's always eating stones.

Comments

• KraneKrane Regular
    edited May 2011
    Get a snapping turtle for him to play with.
  • edited May 2011
    Deliberately?
  • edited May 2011
    Deliberately?

Nah. Fish like to suck up stones to find food or even suck off any green gunk. They usually spit them back out again, but this fish has an Aerosmith mouth and sometimes a stone gets lodged in there :facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    HAhaha, funny shit. Too bad for the fish. Try using big stones I guess.
  • edited May 2011
    That's the thing - they're the biggest stones I can find! It's basically gravel. Anyway, I managed to get that stone out and I left him to rest for a little while. Now he's swimming around as normal, and I fed him a little in case the stone had stopped him from eating for a long time. Good shit :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    That's the thing - they're the biggest stones I can find! It's basically gravel.

Buy some 20mm gravel from a hardware store and throughly wash the largest of the stones before putting them in your fishtank. If your goldfish can suck up 20mm+ gravel then it's a fucking mutant.

Alternatively cover the gravel with some fine netting and weight it down.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    I lol'd @ rock sucking fish.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Haha, does it have four eyes as well? :P Like slave of the Beast said, get some big gravel from someone like B&Q's, or very small stones that can easily pop out of his mouth :) Pretty cute story though hehe
  • edited May 2011
    LOL

He swallows rocks and gets weighed down? Retard fish, lol