Occasional Boot Failures...

edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
When I boot up my computer, it will occasionally fail to boot and start the boot process all over again. What could be the main cause for this?

Sometimes this happens when POST checking - it won't beep, it will just reboot and then beep the second time around, then give me a boot error message saying that the last boot failed.

Other times, when I boot into Windows (and ONLY Windows, it's never happened on Linux before) I'll get to the login screen, or just past the login screen, and it will reboot itself.

HELP?

Comments

• KraneKrane Regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you see a blue screen of death or any error messages pop up before Windows restarts it's self?

That problem has happened to me with Windows XP in the past.
  • edited May 2011
    No BSOD's at all, just a simple reboot. I'll check all my power cables to make sure everything is plugged in, but I really have no idea what else it could be.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited May 2011
    Start your computer in Safe Mode and log in to a user account with
    Administrator permissions.

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings

Then Remove the check mark from 'Automatically restart'.

Now restart you computer and wait until you see a blue screen.

Towards the bottom, copy the number and name of the STOP code. It looks like this:

STOP 0x000...: NAME_OF_ERROR

You can then find what the error is by searching online for the STOP code.
  • edited May 2011
    Disabling the automatic restart was one of the first things I did when I set up the computer. There is no Blue Screen, no STOP codes, no nothing. Just a plain restart, for some unknown reason.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Check Eventlogs.