Why dont computers have a self test function

angryonionangryonion Just some guy
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
Self diagnostic on demand with a full set of fault codes,which can be resolved over the internet.
Right now all we have is anti-virus scans and spyware bullshit,I want to be able to actually look at what the fuck is going on and why it takes my computer 2 minutes to boot now.:hai:
I have worked on cars for the last 26 years and have seen LOTS of changes in the way technology has affected how cars are fixed.Why are cars easier to fix?If the network has a problem it sets a U-code of some sort.If a module goes down I get hard fault,if a sensor is intermittent I still get a code of some sort.
Right now my computer is fucking up hard,I believe its due to a hardware issue of some sort,hard drive, maybe motherboard I'm not sure yet.
But I will get it fixed.

Comments

• Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    yeah, or if it at least wrote the errors down to a plain text document you could read, and it would just be a log for errors for the system....

this would be a great idea, why hasn't anyone thought of this before??
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011
    If something is seriously fucked, the BIOS serve that function (The beeps you hear when you first boot up).
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited May 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    If something is seriously fucked, the BIOS serve that function (The beeps you hear when you first boot up).

Yup, that's true. Honestly I never knew that until I took a bullshit Intro to Computing class a couple quarters ago. I'm rather embarrassed I didn't know that, probably because I usually knew the problem to begin with to not need to learn about it.

Also the POST is kinda sorta a "self-check" if you will, hardware wise and even OS kernel to a point. Windows does have those error logs and dump logs but they aren't very useful (more so than the pop up errors with random fucking numbers). If it's one thing ALL OSes do piss poorly, it's giving you a clear understanding of what the fuck happened. To the programmer it makes sense, but while he's programming the software they have the ability to give you a run down of what was trying to execute and what failed. Yes even basic software can have hundreds of errors let alone the tens of hundreds of thousands of errors an OS can easily have being as complicated as they are. A fucking effort would go a LONG way though rather than letting the program spit you back its bullshit basic automated non-human added error message.
  • edited May 2011
    Do you actually think it's a hardware issue? Because it could easily be something to do with your OS. I assume you're running Windows as you mentioned AV's, so try defragging your drive and removing any software which you don't need. Open msconfig and see if there's anything starting up when your computer boots.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Self-Tests are common in BIOS but when it comes OS, you're fucked.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    You seem to be looking for log files by the first post. A self test for computers is moot as computers can't do anything that someone doesn't instruct them to. This holds true weather it be the good folks at American Megatrends or Phoenix Technologies or the good folks behind Prime95 and Passmark. Beep codes and stress testing / intensive benchmarking is about all the help I can give you.