Napalm (or thickened fuel)

thewandererthewanderer Regular
edited September 2011 in Man Cave
I was going to post this in the flamethrower thread, but I thought it was separate enough to have its own thread.

This thread is for the discussion of napalm and similar creations.
Napalm. I'm not talking about that gasoline/styrofoam bullshit.

How would one go about creating napalm or a similarly thickened fuel for the purpose of being pumped through a flamethrower? Just using kerosene for a flamethrower won't cut it for me. I've been doing some research on it and haven't found too much information. I've found that a product called "Alumagel" could be used to make napalm, but next to zero information on alumagel. Another thickener called "surefire" also caught my attention....again, next to no information about it.

Polyisobutylene (The shit in self-amalgamating tape) can be added to fuel to make it sticky from what I read. Could it still be pumped through a flamethrower though?

Thought? Ideas? Theories?

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    Glycerin? Maybe?
  • DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    I haven't looked it up but I'd imagine that 'alumagel' is a Aluminium soap.
    Follow the normal procedure to make soap from palm oil but use Al(OH)3 instead of NaOH.

'lithium grease' might also work because it is just Lithium stearate... but that might not work and would be an expensive route.

Furthermore I once had the thought that you could make a really thick fuel(too thick to pump) and then add a plasticizer and boom you got yourself something pumpable with higher energy density than diesel or kerosene alone, with added Aluminium powder, say 'alumazine'-Aluminium and Hydrazine mixed.

but the cheap route would be Rubber or PIB(polyisobutylene)+ Kerosene/Diesel + plasticizer.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    I'm a dirty hippy and should fuck off.

I agree completely. :thumbsup:
    I haven't looked it up but I'd imagine that 'alumagel' is a Aluminium soap.
    Follow the normal procedure to make soap from palm oil but use Al(OH)3 instead of NaOH.

'lithium grease' might also work because it is just Lithium stearate... but that might not work and would be an expensive route.

Furthermore I once had the thought that you could make a really thick fuel(too thick to pump) and then add a plasticizer and boom you got yourself something pumpable with higher energy density than diesel or kerosene alone, with added Aluminium powder, say 'alumazine'-Aluminium and Hydrazine mixed.

but the cheap route would be Rubber or PIB(polyisobutylene)+ Kerosene/Diesel + plasticizer.

Thanks for the input. Have any suggestions for a plasticizer?
    edited May 2011
    Bump. :mad:
    You have any input on this, Anders?
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011
    Styrofoam sucks cock, I used to make it all the time and it isn't that great.

I have been told that laundry detergent works well, but I've never made it, nor do I know if that's referring to powdered or liquid.
    edited May 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    Styrofoam sucks cock, I used to make it all the time and it isn't that great.

I have been told that laundry detergent works well, but I've never made it, nor do I know if that's referring to powdered or liquid.

Styrofoam burns hotter and longer than gasoline, but it's hardly napalm. Sucks cock indeed.

As for detergent, I've read that heating gas (read: not boiling) and adding soap flakes (the powdered stuff) will thicken fuel. Will it pump though?
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011
    Styrofoam burns hotter and longer than gasoline, but it's hardly napalm. Sucks cock indeed.

As for detergent, I've read that heating gas (read: not boiling) and adding soap flakes (the powdered stuff) will thicken fuel. Will it pump though?

I'd like to try. What kind of powdered soap flakes? I am not familiar with this.
  • RdagronRdagron Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    read ragnar bensons breath of the dragon, might be what you want, if you cant find it, message me and i can email you the pdf
    edited September 2011
    Rdagron wrote: »
    read ragnar bensons breath of the dragon, might be what you want, if you cant find it, message me and i can email you the pdf

Breath of the Dragon says napalm is mixing 50/50 gas/diesel with a thickener called "alumagel". That book is the reason I made this thread in the first place. I'm looking for substitutes because that book is 25 years old now, and I can't just go buy alumagel at Walmart. There really isn't a lot of info on alumagel floating around either. Most of the information I can find cites BotD as the source of information.
  • RdagronRdagron Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    calcium acetate can thicken ethonal for canned fuels, not sure if itll thicken petrol. but a small experiment would find out. and guar gum is used in the drills that drill for petroleum to thicken fuel leaks i believe, or you could make a diy greek fire with petrol and pine pitch, and something else to help thicken it, guessing guar gum pitch and gas would be a good diy napalm
    edited September 2011
    calcium acetate can thicken ethonal for canned fuels, not sure if itll thicken petrol. but a small experiment would find out. and guar gum is used in the drills that drill for petroleum to thicken fuel leaks i believe, or you could make a diy greek fire with petrol and pine pitch, and something else to help thicken it, guessing guar gum pitch and gas would be a good diy napalm
    I'll definitely look into those the next time I'm able to, thanks. It'll probably be a month or 4 before I can though. In the mean time, I have something to read into now. :D
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011

Download Torrent

12 files in torrent:
    01. Breath Of The Dragon - Homebuilt Flamethrowers - Ragnar Benson.PDF [4MB]
    02. Home and Recreational Use Of High Explosives - Ragnar Benson.pdf [93KB]
    03. Homebuilt Claymore Mines - Ragnar Benson.pdf [4MB]
    04. Homemade C4 - A Recipe For Survival - Ragnar Benson.pdf [8MB]
    05. Homemade Detonators - Ragnar Benson.pdf [5MB]
    06. Homemade Grenade Launchers - Ragnar Benson.pdf [6MB]
    07. Mantrapping - Ragnar Benson.pdf [5MB]
    08. New and Improved C-4 - Ragnar Benson.pdf [21MB]
    09. Ragnar's Ten Best Traps - Ragnar Benson.pdf [6MB]
    10. readme.txt [3KB]
    11. The Modern Survival Retreat - A New and Vital Approach to Retreat Theory and Practice - Ragnar Benson.pdf [8MB]
    12. Torrent downloaded from Demonoid.com.txt [47 bytes]