Well this is shit. Dutch Coffeeshops!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Tourists are to be banned from buying cannabis in Dutch "coffee shops", marking an end to the country's liberal stance on soft drugs.

The government also plans to restrict natives from buying the drug by the end of the year.

Backed by the far-right party of anti-immigrant politician Geert Wilders, the coalition government that came into power last year announced plans to curb drug tourism as part of a nationwide programme to promote health and fight crime.

More.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Can't see this doing their tourist trade much good in the short term. Still, if the people have voted for right-wing parties in significant numbers then presumably this is the kind of policy they want to see.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Guess i won't be going to Amsterdam anytime soon then :mad:
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, I'm sure this will do their country wonders considering all the cash they must make from tourists wanting some Cannabis. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a few places which will hook you up for some extra money.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    guess i'll just have to go to the red light district high myself :sad:
  • edited May 2011
    Also, promote health and fight crime? Firstly, it's WEED - it's not bad for you. Secondly, compare Amsterdam to a place like the UK for second. Now, think about how many weed related crimes you hear of in Amsterdam compared to the ones you hear of in the UK or USA. It's legal over there so there's less crime related to it, right?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Screw this, I'm doing my Uni dissertation on comparing the attitudes of Holland vs the UK and see which is more positive. Xmas trip to the 'Dam is GO!
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited May 2011
    Was just going to post this ahh well..

Anyway I point I saw raised elsewhere is that if they restrict it to only dutch people then under EU law that would be discrimination and as such they could be sued.

Also this will kill the cannabis cup effectively killing off a lot of the american tourists in November who spend an awful lot of cash in what is an otherwise dead month. (By that I mean not many tourists).

Also this will kill of an awful lot of tourism full stop. I know they reckon that people will start coming because there are no drugs but I highly doubt that it would make up the same numbers. Also the level of crime will rise as your basically creating a new crime add to that the native who will start selling it on at a mark up..
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited May 2011
    The dutch have been talking about restricting coffeeshops to citizens only for a while, I'm surprised they are actually going to do it however. I don't understand how this is going to promote health or fight crime.

Cannabis has proven health benefits, there are countless studies backing this assertion, and yet we continue with the failed war on drugs to satisfy an ignorant minority.

Recent Research on Medical Marijuana

conditionsmap_340.jpg

Also the crime fighting aspect is completely destroyed when taken in context. These coffeeshops offered a safe place to purchase and consume cannabis, and was somewhat regulated. Once this law goes through and coffeeshops are closed down, where are people going to purchase their cannabis?

This law is not going to stop cannabis use, it'll only make users go back to street dealers, actually increasing crime...

So in effect, this law is accomplishing the exact opposite of what it was intended to do.

Another win for conservative politicians.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    They will just make it so you have to be a resident. The rule is around residents that you are in the city for 24 or more hours and have a fixed address - even a hotel room - to qualify for a permit to smoke. If you go and stop over for a few days then it will be fine. It might be that quotas are brough in on cafes as to how many members they can have - again, not really a problem, as members will be allowed guests.

I can see people who live in Holland and smoke starting up a 'guided tour' type business to get around the law. From the ideas being kicked around in Holland, they have more holes in them than some of their cheeses.

I think the big thing the Dutch are pissed off about is those that only come for a couple of hours - those from the UK, Germany, Belgium, France and Denmark just to buy weed to take home. These are mostly drug couriers and are pretty scummy people. They are what is driving the Dutch perception of associated crime.

The prostitution does also bring its own crime - people trafficking, but this problem is down to failures in the European immigration system.

Always the symptom, never the cause...