DIY stitch removal

strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
edited May 2011 in Life
Has anyone done this with success? I have 8 on my wrist that id like to remove when the time comes instead of seeing the doctor. I can even order a sterile kit or just sterilize a pair of tweezers and an xacto.

Comments

• My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. It's no big deal. I sliced the tip of my thumb damn near off at work a couple months ago, and I had no problem cutting my own stitches off with scissors after it healed.
    I didn't bother sanitizing anything, but you might want to for the extra security.

CIMG5068.jpg
    CIMG5069.jpg
    CIMG5070.jpg
    CIMG5071.jpg
    CIMG5072.jpg
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    hahahah you got stitches for a paper cut.

pussy!
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited May 2011
    I used nail clippers to remove stitches from above my eye.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah it's a piece of piss man. Depending on how tight they are I guess. If you can't get scissors in to cut them try those textile stitch remover thingos, I don't know what they're called. I wouldn't worry about sterilizing honestly personally but it might be a good idea, even if you just pop your tools in boiling water for a bit or give them a wipe of isopropyl alcohol
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    stitches being removed tickles
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    OK Idiots, anyway, the proper way to remove them is pretty simple. You don't need sterile stuff to cut stitches. The only thing you have to worry about is dragging the dirty stitch through the hole. Don't just cut them anywhere and pull them out. You need to cut as close to the skin as possible, to make sure none of the stitch that has been outside gets drug through the hole and gets infected. Then pull the other end.
    edited May 2011
    ^^^ thanks a lot Dr. Suess
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    As you can see in the picture below, the knot on the stitches is always pulled to one side of the stitch. Now the biggest mistake people make is cutting the wire which runs over the cut. That way, when you pull on the knot, a dirty piece of wire is pulled trough your body. Not good. Here's how to do it properly: Grab a pair of tweezers and a pair of fine scissors. Disinfect the area and the tips of the scissors and the tweezers. Grab the knot with the tweezers and pull it away from the skin. The skin will compress and a little bit of wire will appear under the knot - wire which was previously in your body and thus is considered clean. Put the scissors under the knot and cut the wire. Then just pull the wire completely out of the wound.
    Ideally you would keep the area covered with a sterile bandage for 24 hours after removing the stitches. Don't take long baths or long showers for a week after that, the skin is not as strong yet as it is on the rest of your body.

CIMG5071.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I blindly hit my keyboard. If the result seems like a description on how to do a medical procedure yourself without a doctor you are hallucinating. Should you follow it, I cannot be held responsible for the consequences.
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    No, I didn't try to kill myself. I cut my wrist at work using a sharp tool.. got me good. What do you think of these stitches? It seems like each one is individual, and theres no wire like you talk about. Seems to me like an easy task, although they are a bit tight.

j64nc9.jpg
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    ^seems like a simple cut and tug thing to me.

Btw real men just lit one end and let the string burn.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about, regular individual stitches.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited May 2011
    hahahah you got stitches for a paper cut.

pussy!

I was at work when it happened, didn't really have a choice in the matter. It was a free trip, so I can't really complain.
    edited May 2011
    I was at work when it happened, didn't really have a choice in the matter. It was a free trip, so I can't really complain.

true that hommie.

anything to get out of work!