Synthesis of thiourea

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
Do any of you chemists know how to synthesize thiourea? Bear in mind I know nothing about this topic.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    BUMP

Nobody? 24 views and not one person on Totse knows the first thing about this? Man we are in sad shape if that is the case. Maybe this section should be changed into a daycare center.
  • edited May 2011
    BUMP

Nobody? 24 views and not one person on Totse knows the first thing about this? Man we are in sad shape if that is the case. Maybe this section should be changed into a daycare center.

Don't be a twat, a look at the wiki told me your post was some knotted form of trollery. The synth is there, and asking for a homebake method for something that is used for strictly industrial purposes is silly, and you know it. What were you fishing for here?, a gaping hole in the knowledge of totseans about industrial chemical synthesis? Wow, what a sad state of affairs indeed, thanks for pointing that out, TDR.
    edited May 2011
    Don't be a twat, a look at the wiki told me your post was some knotted form of trollery. The synth is there, and asking for a homebake method for something that is used for strictly industrial purposes is silly, and you know it. What were you fishing for here?, a gaping hole in the knowledge of totseans about industrial chemical synthesis? Wow, what a sad state of affairs indeed, thanks for pointing that out, TDR.

You got it all wrong CO so get off of my back. I don't understand chemistry at all. Yes, I saw the wiki and it was greek to me. I was hoping that someone knew enough about chemistry to reply with either something to the affect of "This shit is not something a rank amateur can really synthesize without a large investment of time and money for equipment or training". Or for someone to break it down in to terms a layman can understand.

BTW are you enjoying your ride on the TDR hate bandwagon?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    You got it all wrong CO so get off of my back. I don't understand chemistry at all. Yes, I saw the wiki and it was greek to me. I was hoping that someone knew enough about chemistry to reply with either something to the affect of "This shit is not something a rank amateur can really synthesize without a large investment of time and money for equipment or training". Or for someone to break it down in to terms a layman can understand.

BTW are you enjoying your ride on the TDR hate bandwagon?

NICK!!!!!
    edited May 2011
    GTFO out of this thread with your bullshit box. I am looking for a serious answer. If all this thread is going to generate is B&M/HB bullshit I may as well delete it and ask this question on another forum.
  • edited May 2011
    I know of one alternative to the synthesis route listed on wiki. Most of the reagents, e.g. the primary (R2-NH2) and secondary (R1R1-NH) amines listed may be obtainable if you know a chemical supplier (it would depend a lot on whether you wanted to synth 'straight' thiourea or one of its many derivatives), if not there are various synthesis routes to these compounds, this is just one of them. The same goes for CS2, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_sulphide but it's fairly nasty shit so I'd be surprised if a chemical supplier let you have it without asking questions.

It's been a long time since I delved into organic chemistry, so forgive me if this answer isn't as helpful as it could be. I do not think thiourea is something that a person with no chemical apparatus or basic knowledge could realistically synth.

EDIT: Wtf is up with wiki links, can't we embed youtube or wiki links without this shit appearing in our posts?
    edited May 2011
    Do you know of another organic that is easier to synth but has similar properties. Meaning something that is almost the same as a naturally occurring organic in the human body but not at all friendly to it.
  • edited May 2011
    Do you know of another organic that is easier to synth but has similar properties. Meaning something that is almost the same as a naturally occurring organic in the human body but not at all friendly to it.

How about GBL from the solvent tetrahydrofuran (THF)? It's similar to GHB1 which occurs naturally in the body and into which it is converted upon ingestion. A few grams would constitute a massive overdose. There should be no shortage of straightforward procedures to follow if you look for them. I, unfortunately, I'm not going to be around for the next few days and am leaving very shortly so I can't pick up on this thread until next weekend. I hope this post is of some use to you in the meantime.

1) GHB is a controlled drug, as is GBL in many countries including the UK and US, hence the requirement to synth it from THF or 1,4 butanediol.
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for all of your responses so far SotB. I will look at the links and try to wrap my head around some of this.
  • AndersHovelandAndersHoveland Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    I happen to have a synthesis for thiosemicarbazide, which has a very similar structure to thiourea. Perhaps someone could simply modify the procedure to prepare thiourea instead (by using ammonium sulfate instead of hydrazine sulfate):

First, Carbon disulfide reacts with ammonium hydroxide to form ammonium thiocyanate, without heating.
    (2)NH4OH + CS2 --> NH4SCN + (2)H2O + H2S

From Ammonium Thiocyanate and Hydrazine Sulfate:
    This reaction must be conducted under a fume hood because hydrogen sulfide is produced during the refluxing.
    36.7 g of hydrazine sulfate was added to 30 ml of water in a 250ml flask. The pH of the solution was brought to 4 with sodium hydroxide solution. The hydrazine sulfate soon dissolves, with the intermediate formation of hydrazinium hydrogen sulfate. 30g of ammonium thiocyanate was added and the mixture was gently agitated in a warm water bath until the thiocyanate dissolved. 60 ml of methanol was added and the mixture was stirred for a half hour to finish the precipitation of ammonium sulfate. The solution was filtered and the ammonium sulfate was washed with 92% ethanol. The combined liquid was then transferred to a 500 ml round bottomed flask. A stirr bar was added and 1 ml of acetone was added. A reflux condenser was attached and the mixture was refluxed for 18 hours. Conversion takes place at a temperature of about 90°, not exceeding 130° C. The solution turns to a yellow color during refluxing and produces hydrogen sulfide; after 9 hours another 1 mL of acetone was added. After 16 hours the mixture was filtered to remove a small quantity of crystals. After 24 hours of settling, a large crop of crystals formed which was then filtered off and washed with methanol. The white crystals melted at 181 degC. 75% Yield.

By the way, be aware that these types of questions in almost all chemistry forums (much less this forum) will usually never give you any good answers.