University can go do one.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I got my project back yesterday that I chose to do on Terrorism. The reason I chose to do it, and why the University wanted me to do it was because there was no other Historian who had the access to Military, Internet and grassroots level interviews and material. So a lack of Historiography was apparent, but I referenced/acknowledged every book on Terrorism or tagged with Terrorism in our library (about 60) so there was no lack of historiography.

For the definition of Terrorism I even got a box-standard one from the dictionary to see if it was right, and said where I got it from, yet they still "needed a reference" regardless of me saying "The Oxford Dictionary defines Terrorism as:......".

After that comes the realisation that there was only 1 marker, when Universities need to have 2 at least for a piece of work this large (5,500 words, 10 page appendix, 90+ sources totalling 25 pages) yet they gave it to 1 person to mark, who was a media lecturer.
Hardly History, my department.

As a result, they fucked me with the grades. I was hoping this would be my best work, and I know nothing is perfect, but seeing as this individual who was close to being sacked last year for her performance, barely passed me. It's not as if there is any constructive criticism or proof she read it (the comments she did put down are asking questions which are answered in the pages prior, so I have a suspicion in the 2 weeks marking, she didn't bother reading it properly). I have sent it to other Lecturers from other Universities and even History Teachers from College who have BA or MA level experience and they have even commented on the grade, saying how it's "way out of perspective".

As a result of all that, I sent the shittiest email to her, made my feelings clear to the faculty and now have a meeting because I'm exhibiting "unacceptable, dangerous behaviour, especially as you have written about a subject that you have links to".

I'm getting to the end of my tether here. University isn't the haven where you can express yourself, explore unbiased lines of thought and discuss openly. Instead you are monitored heavily, influenced by either neo-con or lefty Lecturers and everyone's a shallow fuck.

Life, eh?
"Pass me the pills, I'm going for a long-ass walk and think."

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    Mhm, I feel for you.

But at your stage of education, you should've realised this a long time ago:
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm getting to the end of my tether here. University isn't the haven where you can express yourself, explore unbiased lines of thought and discuss openly. Instead you are monitored heavily, influenced by either neo-con or lefty Lecturers and everyone's a shallow fuck.

"Shut up and take it in the ass" is the only way to get through alive :thumbsdown:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU GETTING AN EDUCATION FOR?

If you don't like it, then stop being a a liberal faggot. Conform to the fucking standards you dimwit.

"Boohooo I'm in individual! I write what I want! Fuck society!"

Fucking hippie piece of shit.
  • edited June 2011
    Set them straight with a little terrorist act of your own.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited June 2011
    Bullshit it through your education, write what you want when you're out of university. I'm going to be taking psychology and I know I'm going to have to put up with a lot of Gouldian tripe. The universities really have degraded, but I'll still be going to Cambridge anyway. Men are indeed a dying breed, the kind of man that has the will to work, to get down and dirty in order to provide for himself and for his family. The kind of man that doesn't cringe at the thought of working the late shift if need be. That can go for doing shit you don't really want to do once in a while.

What university are you at?
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited June 2011
    Box wrote: »
    WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU GETTING AN EDUCATION FOR?

Because he's not a nigger?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Murder/Suicide or rape :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2011
    "unacceptable, dangerous behaviour, especially as you have written about a subject that you have links to".

This part actually made my stomach churn with rage :mad: I seriously hope this turns out well for you, and that they actually take you seriously in the meeting with the staff. Fuckers.
  • edited June 2011
    HEY DUMBFUCK
    You're supposed to bullshit your way through college to GET DAT GREEN later on in life

I've written goddamn papers praising Islam as a religion of peace and the Ottomans as a civilized people

I hope you get fucking expelled and spend the rest of your life flipping burgers, you're not smart enough to press the buttons with the pictures of what people order on them.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    Take it up with the head of your department or the dean.
  • edited June 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    Take it up with the head of your department or the dean.

OP gets in trouble for crying, and skunk tells him to cry even harder :facepalm:
    Clearly you and I keep tissues by our computers for different reasons
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    I use lotion to jerk it, no need for tissues.
  • edited June 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    I use lotion to jerk it, no need for tissues.

lol wot
    how does lotion prevent leftovers?

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

IS THIS A JEWISH CONSPIRACY TO PREVENT ME FROM STEALTHILY MASTURBATING WITHOUT PROMOTING ENVIRONMENTALLY HARMFUL LOGGING OR TURNING MY SOCKS INTO CONCRETE COTTON, OR WORST OF ALL RUB SEMEN ON MY BODY AS IF I WERE SOME SORT OF HOMOSEXUAL?

IF ONLY THERE WAS A FREE SPEECH CONSPIRACY FORUM I COULD CONSULT

I WOULD NAME IT AMKON
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    I use my shirt for the cleanup, and then change :). I'm saving the environment one tissue at a time.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    Bullshit it through your education, write what you want when you're out of university. I'm going to be taking psychology and I know I'm going to have to put up with a lot of Gouldian tripe. The universities really have degraded, but I'll still be going to Cambridge anyway. Men are indeed a dying breed, the kind of man that has the will to work, to get down and dirty in order to provide for himself and for his family. The kind of man that doesn't cringe at the thought of working the late shift if need be. That can go for doing shit you don't really want to do once in a while.

What university are you at?

I won't say which one here, but who knows where this will go. I thank you for your insight though. It seems a different story wherever you go, as you can see with different responses.
    HEY DUMBFUCK
    You're supposed to bullshit your way through college to GET DAT GREEN later on in life

I've written goddamn papers praising Islam as a religion of peace and the Ottomans as a civilized people

I hope you get fucking expelled and spend the rest of your life flipping burgers, you're not smart enough to press the buttons with the pictures of what people order on them.

Yup, I gave a presentation on Constantinople, the Iberian Peninsula and Moors from North Africa and got a first (85%) so what you don't know...
    People here say that I bitch, moan and cry. The reason I kicked up a shit about this work is because the University promised to support me in a way because this was an example of the work "people should do", I quote. In other words, I put a shit-ton of effort into it, and they barely passed me. I can't repeat it any more, so that's that.
    FATTY, as for flipping burgers, I have been a chef for 5 years, nearing 6 (yep, I started work in kitchens at the age of 14 for cash in hand and was making 150+ pizzas a day by the age of 15) so I'm a bit smarter than having to push buttons. I'm smart enough to have kept up the work and take the shit that comes with it. Ever seen the film "Waiting"?

I suppose one good thing that came out of this was I got a job promotion and have been offered a car, but I turned it down as I can't be fucked to have to shell out more cash, so I have the promotion but I am keeping my bike. That Kona is my baby. I have also got 3 Summer jobs lined up, so work and taing shit isn't an issue for me. I just hate liars, which these Lecturers are, and they know it because of the email I got back. If they can't accept their mistake, and I'm not saying I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination, then what the fuck were they doing marking my work anyway?

I'll just wait for a reply and take it up with the head of my course. We get on well and I have a feeling he will send it off for secondary, external marking. That should have happened at first, seeing as everyone else had theirs marked a second time - but why didn't I? I also set a record for the amount of references in a 5,500 word essay. I know there is such thing as overkill, but 60 books, 10 Govt websites and 20 primary sources (interviews with those on the subject), equalling 90 sources shows I didn't exactly slack. If they won't give me even a few more marks, then I'd like recognition for my time and money spent travelling around the Country on numerous trains, hours spent sitting in Guard rooms, countless phonecalls to organise meetings and clearance to get these interviews as I was under the impression it was constructive, as well as the University wanting to publish it.

Time for a walk.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited June 2011
    It went down like this:

34q4cgm.jpg

I think they are probably trolling you.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    To be fair, that's kinda how I pictured it.

Good walk, too. Met a guy from my hometown.