Linksys wrt54s = shit

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
The Internet at my house was never good, and upon returning for the Summer after a few months (since xmas, really) it is no different. I am trying to download torrents and after tweaking, attempting to upgrade the firmware etc it is STILL a load of shit. No connections, and even when it does after a few seconds of about 5kb/ps, it kills my router.

Anyone else have this issue? I was looking at other custom, Linux based firmwares, but every one I have tried doesn't work. Close to smashing it or getting a refund, then going back to a crappy, no frills one.

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011
    Does the LAN connection work well and the wireless just suck? If not it might just be the Internet connection itself sucks and not the router. You can try to flash the rom on the router and upgrade to some third-party better firmware. I'd first restart my router to default settings. Usually you have to hold down the power button or the restart button for 30 seconds or so. I'd google it for your router. I know early Linksys routers sucked hard, hence the bazillion variations with nearly the same model number but with another number or letter added. The new ones since Cisco bought them out are almost as bad as Linksys's first routers.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    It's both aspects, wired and wireless. I recall it happening when I lived at home prior to University. Literally every 2 minutes I was running down and resetting the Virgin Media box and the router, both for 30 seconds. It got to the point where I'd have to do breathing exercises to avoid smashing the shit out of the worthless plasticy lump of shit. Dad was hell bent on getting one as he worked for Cisco related Companies, so of all people should know how crap they are.
    I tried flashing the DD-WRT (I think) firmware onto it last night but to no avail as it's a V6 Router, meaning it's not as easy as others. I also looked at Tomato firmware but seeing as the hunk-o'-shit has 2MB flash memory, I need a real lightweight Firmware, so DD-WRT is the one, but I don't fancy bricking it and having no connection. My neighbour has also recently changed to WPA WiFi as opposed to WEP, which means time to crack that bitch. The WPA, not her physically. So glad I downloaded a 33GB wordlist when at Uni. I would do fucking ANYTHING for that 6MBps connection again :fap: the fact I cannot download a 60MB collection of songs via torrent is really fucking me off, as well as not being able to seed my own ones on Demonoid.
    edited June 2011
    1) Realised the title of this thread should read "wrt54gs"
    2) Giving it another shot (guide). If I do not reappear after a few hours, then assume I have either fucked up the firmware, or have smashed the shit out of the router.

See you on the other side, Gents.
    edited June 2011
    iT.png

7273Ex7yKrUye28Btdq3NM27PbEZaz9aSDc1.png

7Y.png

FOOK-A YOUUU, SHITTY RINKSYS!

Ps. The firmware upgrade and connection to the Router timed out when doing the preliminary flash and I almost sit a brick(ed router). Thank fuck it worked, so I rejoiced by playing Handel's "Messiah" and am slowly getting better speeds on uTorrent.
    So once again, a big FOOK YOU, RINKSYS!
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited June 2011
    this is why Nike sells they're shoes to Ross and walmart. Linksys are cheap Cisco routers. They are shit. UPGRADE ASAP.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited June 2011
    If you have a old PC and a few networkcards to spare i would recomend PfSense, i used to go crazy over my shitty old router always getting crappy speeds and having to be rebooted every 2 hours...

Now i run a 1Ghz P3 with 512Mb RAM and 3 old 3Com 10/100 NICs and last year i had a uptime of over 200 days.
    I once tried the throughput by connecting a PC to the LAN and WAN interfaces and loading a file betwen them, it maxed out the network connection with no problem so you dont need expensive hardware even if you have a fast (100Mbit) internet connection.
    It can also handle insane amounts of connections, good for torrents.

DD-Wrt is not bad either, but the 54GS is a old design and cant really keep up with modern routers.

PfSense