CMS: GTFO my totse.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited July 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Alright people it's been a year and the site is still as slow as fuck. :mad:

What we are going to do to fix this:
CMS, it's fucking going. It's a terrible way to display articles, and it is not user contributable. What we are going to do is get rid of the goddamn CMS and put in a wiki. Text files are not what the internet wants. What the internet wants is user contibutable systems such as wikis. The wiki can host anything we fucking want it to because of EFF 47 USC § 230. :thumbsup:

Social media? Fuck that. Nobody wants thier facebook or google accounts linked with criminal activity, so that +1 shit is going. :facepalm:

What's next after that, I'll let you know when it's time. In the meantime I'll do the html and css styling of the wiki, while you guys transpose the articles.

I didn't forget about totse, I just don't have time to fuck around on the forums.

Comments

• HellishHellish Regular
    edited June 2011
    I think a Wiki is a fantastic idea. You need to find a secure wiki software? though.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited June 2011
    Security isn't too hard, especially with PHP's new filter_input($type , "variable", FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING) function.

Ypu people need to realize that the old totse is gone and it ain't coming back. Those users have grown up, gotten jobs and put tostse in thier past. For example, spatula tsar no longer gives a fuck about totse, even though he is still active on the internet.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Fuck you.

I don't mind giving it a shot, but I am not removing CMS. Doing that would 404 all the previous links and we will drop from the fucking Google main page in an instant. I don't mind having a wiki sub-system along with CMS. We can work on the wiki and see what happens. The migration would be a slow process anyway.

Once installed, I will theme it and make groups and other tid bits.

It's slow because most of the users (including me) are fucked IRL.
  • edited June 2011
    I like the idea of a Wiki but like Dfg said, this will fuck up all the hard work we've put into the CMS so far. All our links will be useless... Actually, we can make this work.

We implement the Wiki alongside the CMS. We work on the Wiki, transferring all the content and then leave all the links the same! So basically, we phase out the CMS article by article. We keep the links the same though. basically, the wiki becomes the CMS.

Hard to explain.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I like the idea of a Wiki but like Dfg said, this will fuck up all the hard work we've put into the CMS so far. All our links will be useless... Actually, we can make this work.

We implement the Wiki alongside the CMS. We work on the Wiki, transferring all the content and then leave all the links the same! So basically, we phase out the CMS article by article. We keep the links the same though. basically, the wiki becomes the CMS.

Hard to explain.

It's like this, if the Wiki fails atleast we have some backup.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011

Hard to explain.

That's actually how you are SUPPOSED to develop websites and or upgrading/adding to them. It still surprises the shit out of me how many web site developers are doing the most n00bish mistake of adding something, whether it's code or some new feature/add-on, and go completely live with it without a system on the side to test it on. No professional web developer has one site, but at least two if not just for testing purposes on the second which is a carbon copy of the first.

Same thing goes when re-designing a website. You have to do it side-by-side which is why it takes a lot longer most of the time to get something new up and running while you could technically do it in a day. The result? The site would lose almost ALL traffic because 90% of the old sites functionality wont work. Even big sites with teams that do this for 6-12 months working on rebuilding the site layout have at least 10% still fucked when it goes live. It's a major task and I don't envy it. Try telling someone who is the sole developer on a website who has everything set up, from the multiple languages and code required, to SQL, and they'll probably tell you to go fuck yourself. It isn't nearly as easy as it sounds.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Fuck you.

I don't mind giving it a shot, but I am not removing CMS. Doing that would 404 all the previous links and we will drop from the fucking Google main page in an instant. I don't mind having a wiki sub-system along with CMS. We can work on the wiki and see what happens. The migration would be a slow process anyway.

No we won't, if you do it right and redirect the CMS directory to the wiki with a 301. You could rewrite /cms/articles/*/article-name to /wiki-directory/article%20name I would think.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    No we won't, if you do it right and redirect the CMS directory to the wiki with a 301. You could rewrite /cms/articles/*/article-name to /wiki-directory/article%20name I would think.

A) It's not a one go job to just move to the wiki. It would take time to make it usable.
    B) Even with a redirect it's still a hit and run.

In short, it's better to test things before jumping in.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    We should keep the CMS for a while. A lot of work has gone into it. There's nothing wrong with it.

The OP should accept that we are not going to get a large amount of traffic in a short period of time no matter what we do. I was also not aware that he was in a position to give orders.

I see nothing wrong with having a wiki in parrallel to the CMS. The nature of our users brings up the question of vandalism. I wonder how it will pan out.

If we are to implement a wiki i would suggest we use the most boring, tested, supported and secure implementation available: wikipedia's mediawiki.

Although there are others such as TikiWiki that can be classed as groupware but that can lead to headache.
    edited June 2011
    Look, what we have now doesn't fucking work. :mad:

As for the CMS, it sucks. Honestly it's a terrible system to display text files, because it's pretty much a fucking blog. Obviously deleting the CMS will be a stupid thing to do, so we need to install the wiki software and move the guides over one by one. Once a guide is moved over, you put an http meta refresh or a 301 redirect on that cms page. Such redirects automagically update google's index, and search rankings are not lost.

So dfg/hellish, install mediawiki, but don't link to it yet as it needs styling. Just give me the ftp link to it's installed directory, and I'll start modifying the php pages to make them totse-like.

Let's quit dicking around and get this place working.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited June 2011
    Do whatever the fuck you want, but at least get the wiki set up.

No one remotely cares about text files when it comes to information these days. We aren't exchanging info in the 80's anymore, shit is updated.
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    I think i'm done. I'm sure there are small tweaks that i don't have the artistic ability to scrutinize but it's essentially done. It's consistent on all pages:
    HtAl4.png

I'll upload the zip theme in a few minutes.

The way i made this was be editing one of the pre-installed themes called "monobook". I though i'd be able to remame it and change the variables in the php but for some reaon that escapes me it won't work.
    So this will have to overwrite the monobook theme.
    download link: http://www.2shared.com/file/GnHV0e4m/totse.html
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Slartibartfast, and no Katz I don't think Direct FTP access to a production server would be wise. We go pwned in the past.

Just make the theme if you want or just modify the pages on your local install. Send me the Zip file like Slartibartfast did and I will implement it.

Personally Wiki's didn't really work well if you look at Zoklet.

Oh, btw Drupal is a not fucking BLOG. You don't know how much I want to strangle you for that. Fucking Times.com and New York Times is using it. CMS not a fucking blog. As for security wise Drupal pwns any Wiki.

Again, I will install it but I am not going to dump the CMS. It will stay because thanks to it, we have some decent ranking. Oh and don't forget we're not using a CDN.

*Goes to install it*
    edited June 2011
    It's mediawiki BTW
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    It's mediawiki BTW

I have to halt the installation.
    If you're running MediaWiki on a 32-bit platform, you should upgrade
    to PHP 5.3.5, PHP 5.2.17 or a patched version of PHP from a Linux
    distribution which includes a fix for CVE-2010-4645. If you run
    MediaWiki on a 32-bit platform with an earlier version of PHP, you
    will be vulnerable to a denial-of-service vulnerability.

CVE-2010-4645 is a vulnerability which causes the conversion from a
    string to a floating-point number to take forever, for certain special
    strings. PHP's weak typing means that such conversion can take place
    implicitly, for example in code like "$string > 0". I can confirm that
    MediaWiki has modules which will convert user input to a
    floating-point number. Conversion can be triggered by an attacker with
    no special privileges.

Yeah, that doesn't really happen with Drupal. :angry:

Anyway, I have send a PM to Vineman. Once the PHP is upgraded to accomodate MediaWiki, I will install it. I don't want to take extra risks anyway.

Installing it on local mirror.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    The theme doesn't work :( I will have to overwrite it. In any case, Wiki is quite dull and a bitch to work with. I will work on the theme. Reading some guides. You can just send me the zipped theme files along with other pages. Once the wiki is tested and all the plugins for video, audio etc and file uploads are included (and the php gets [patched]) I will install it to the server.
    edited June 2011
    What do you meant it doesn't work? Were you trying to rename it?
    BTW it only works if you are logged in (and have selected it) unless you make it the default.

I'm working on a simple homepage structure, won't finish it until tomorrow.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    The theme doesn't work :( I will have to overwrite it. In any case, Wiki is quite dull and a bitch to work with. I will work on the theme. Reading some guides. You can just send me the zipped theme files along with other pages. Once the wiki is tested and all the plugins for video, audio etc and file uploads are included (and the php gets [patched]) I will install it to the server.

I got it to work after a bit of fucking around, then again i know next to nothing about how to get this sort of thing working. I'm slowly learning though.
  • edited June 2011
    I actually really like this idea, it's pretty cool and it gives us all something to work on. I don't like the way Katz is trying to order everyone around, but whatever :D Sounds like a good project.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    I actually really like this idea, it's pretty cool and it gives us all something to work on. I don't like the way Katz is trying to order everyone around, but whatever :D Sounds like a good project.

Hence I started the post with FUCK YOU, but over the months I understand how Katz talks.

Anyway, the wiki will be restricted to editors only. This will make sure no one fucks up.

Plus, I will need to create guides for Wiki because it's a LOT EASIER to dumb data on Drupal using Editors then Wiki. It doesn't really support rich text etc. Trust me I tried working with Wikipedia and other platform and it's a bitch to understand.

But I am sure if everyone helped out, we can make it work.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    Have you considered putting the wiki and/or cms on its own subdomain? wiki.totse.info or cms.totse.info

I think the wiki could exist alongside the cms as they're two different entities. "Wall of text" style guides in the cms, and maybe some of the more in depth guides on the wiki/other information that wouldn't be put in a guide such as information about totse etc.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    Have you considered putting the wiki and/or cms on its own subdomain? wiki.totse.info or cms.totse.info

I think the wiki could exist alongside the cms as they're two different entities. "Wall of text" style guides in the cms, and maybe some of the more in depth guides on the wiki/other information that wouldn't be put in a guide such as information about totse etc.

we did this with bbs.totse.info.

I think it can be done with cms and wiki as well.

*Goes to look*
    edited June 2011
    Anyway, the wiki will be restricted to editors only. This will make sure no one fucks up.

Way to completely destroy the whole point of the wiki. :facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Way to completely destroy the whole point of the wiki. :facepalm:

For the time being, until editors and mods are trained. You don't want other text-files edited with goatse. It can easily happen.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    Katz has a point though. You can restrict the cms to editors only, but open up the wiki to the greater totse community, the way a wiki is supposed to work.

You can set it up so there are editors who have the power to easily revert changes made should there be vandalism. Wikis make it easy to catch vandals as everything is logged.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    Katz has a point though. You can restrict the cms to editors only, but open up the wiki to the greater totse community, the way a wiki is supposed to work.

You can set it up so there are editors who have the power to easily revert changes made should there be vandalism. Wikis make it easy to catch vandals as everything is logged.

I know katz has a point but you need to follow some protocol before opening the gates. The thing is I can get this working in 30 mins but we have to work with mods and editors so things actually pan out.

Anyway, fucking power going out.
  • edited June 2011
    ^ You know I'll help out where needed. We're going to need a lot of good moderation though, otherwise things may well get defaced very quickly. I'm not sure how easily Wiki's can be moderated but I could download MediaWiki or whatever it is and have a play around, getting to know the features etc.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    http://cwgordon.com/how-to-create-a-wiki-with-drupal

I will just drop this here. I was looking for ways to export data to mediawiki when I found this. It can easily be done btw.
    edited June 2011
    Hello Again. I said previously that i was going to do the homepage, that's not going to happen: I simply have no design skills. When we put it up we'll worry about it.

On the otherhand i'm creating some warning label templates as apparently those aren't default and have to be hand-made. All the user has to do to ger the below message is type in {{kill}} :
    MSj5q.png

I have located a good wysiwyg editor called FCKEditor There is a lot more in that link, they all look the same to me.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    ^Thanks man :D
    edited July 2011
    j5xvF.png

I told you i wasn't good at design.

If you add more than three of them to a page you get that content box on the first one. I'm working on fixing it.

mediawiki is the worst documented popular software i've ever used

EDIT: I've worked it out. mediawiki in it's infininte wisdom assumes i would like a contents list if i have 4 or more heading tags. This is probably true 99% of the time:
    m7qSj.png
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    There may be better wiki software out there, this is what we used for the amkon wiki which currently has a damaged database heh.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    ^lol.

PHP upgraded, you will see the wiki online shortly.
    edited July 2011
    Skunk, I've looked around at wiki software of a while now. mediawiki is terribly documented but it's the most documented. :(
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Looks like you may possibly be able to connect totse forum login with the wiki, which would significantly cut down on vandalism.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Auth_viaMySQL

I'm not sure if that's the proper extension to use however (none of them specifically mention vbulletin).

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_Matrix/user_identity
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Sounds like all it requires is an SQL database, so I assume that basically anything is compatible with it (including Vbulletin) :thumbsup:
    edited July 2011
    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VBulletin/Users_Integration

This will add a level of complexity that may end up causing us headaches withe the DB.

I think we should keep the credentials separate. Not everyone will want to have access to the wiki and a filling out a simple form is not a big ask.
    edited July 2011
    Hello Again. I have created a template that facilitates custom boxes. These can be used to make custom boxes and badges in the form of templates that users can share.
    This image expains all:
    nJ9Db.png

I have finished the standard warning messages:
    DVrkP.png
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    oh, well time to install the damn wiki :D
    edited July 2011
    I think I can do better with those warning tags, post your modified code and I'll do a bit more styling.
  • edited July 2011

I'd appreciate a PM with a link to the Wiki if you wouldn't mind. I assume that as an editor, I'll be allowed to poke around a little and get used to how it works?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    I like the idea of the wiki. I would be happy to help in terms of keeping an eye on content and correcting any unwanted behavior in the form of vandalism. Just let me know what the guidelines are and I will be happy to assist in assuring this idea reaches it's potential.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Easy there guys, you will get the wiki :).
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    General, yes there is a page that shows all the most recent edits.
  • edited July 2011
    Have a look at Wikipedia and you will see what the page looks like with all the edits. It's pretty good, gives a description of the edit and tells you the IP address of the offender.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes there is a page that logs every edit, as well as each individual page's changes (history).
  • edited July 2011
    My tuffness is going to take down the power in Pakistan soon
    then your little schemes will be ruined
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011

Any word on the status of the wiki?