Using "Two Handed" Passwords

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
How many of you think that you've got a secure password? You'd all like to say yes, I'm sure. But when it comes down to reality, a secure password which you can generate is one which uses a large number of keystrokes, isn't a word from the dictionary, uses symbols/numbers, and is "two handed". What this means is that you need two hands in order to enter your password, because you're alternating between upper and lower case characters.

For example, the two handed version of "chicken" might be "cHiCKeN" - notice the random upper-case letters.

You can use two handed passwords to greatly increase your password strength, and it can also allow you to enter random symbols around the place too, like so...

"cH!cK£N"

With every revision of our password, it becomes significantly stronger and harder to crack. Give it a shot, you might thank me later (or probably not, because you won't even know someone's had a crack at your password ;))

Comments

• BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    eh i use my my address numbers first

then my last name followed by calories

numbers from oreo cookies package
  • tomtom New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    interesting, I should give it a try
  • edited July 2011
    It's definitely worth it if you want some additional security. Effectively, you're looking for a long password with lots of random letters, numbers and special characters in it. This significantly increases the strength of the password and can help protect you when someone's trying to hack your shit up (IE, bruteforcing or dictionary attacks).
  • tomtom New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    I get the increase of password strength, but I wonder how I can increase my brain strength to remember those random letters and numbers.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2011
    ^^^ mnemonics:
    S&TW2TB&W$1= "Steve & Tom Went 2 The Bank & Withdrew $1"
  • edited July 2011
    Use the algorithm I spoke of. It's easy as fuck to remember something such as your favorite movie title or something. For example, let's say I chose...

"You should have killed me when you had the chance"

I'd only have to remember those words, combine it with my algorithm, and I'd have my password.

Let's say the algorithm is to take the first letters from each words, switch between capitals and lower case letters, and put some random characters on the start and end. My password would change to something like this;

£$%yShKmWyHtC£$%

See what I mean?
  • tomtom New Arrival
    edited July 2011
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    eh i use my my address numbers first

then my last name followed by calories

numbers from oreo cookies package

What did you say your name was?
  • edited July 2011
    two hands on the keyboard when browsing the internet?
    I don't think so brah
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2011
    On the subject of patterns have a section of the password that changes per site.

<mnemonic><somethingtodowiththesite><numbers><mnemonic>

swe@s, bAc0N!t0t5se%6
    swe@s, bAc0N!ebay%6

Your password is only as strong as the weakest database it's stored in. Change it around. Also, space bar helps for non-guessable passwords.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Mine's so good I can't even remember it. Seriously.
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    This post reminded me of an article i read on stumbleupon. It's pretty cool when you think about it.
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2p9VQn/www.baekdal.com/articles/usability/password-security-usability
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Just got to think of a phrase and make have the letters in there with caps and numbers. Make the phrase something only you would know. And don't forget to through at least one character hopefully two that aren't commonly affiliated with. Also keep it above 12 characters and under 16 for memory purposes.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    FATTY MCFUCKFACE is using the same pic as me. Damn I have been gone way to long.
  • banditobandito Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2011
    If you have a really strong password, you won't really have to change it more than once a year. Even that often might be overkill.

The trick is, it's safe to keep your password written down physically (ON PAPER, NOT ON DISK) and hidden somewhere very inconspicious until you memorize it. And muscle memory will take care of it, trust me. After you don't have to think about typing it anymore, you can just burn/shred/bend fold & mutilate paper you wrote it on. Bingo!

Don't hide the password where you hide your weed, either. Hide it somewhere ridiculous, like taped behind the refrigerator or the top of a fan blade.

Or you could just be lazy and keep it in your wallet.

Just don't keep it on a sticky note on your monitor, please.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    The problem with keeping passwords is... I have a lot of of them. More than 50+ I think :(. I should use Keepass from now on.
  • edited August 2011
    Writing it on a rizla would be a good idea, then you could roll it up and smoke it when you're done :D
  • edited August 2011
    The password that I got after signing up on the original Totse was like that. A mixture of upper and lower case numbers and letters. No words.

I use it for most things, now.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited August 2011
    My pass is very long and has plenty of unicode. I think I'm good.
    tom wrote: »
    nice
    You need more in your bank account.