USB Toolkit

edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Something everyone should take around with them everywhere they go is a USB Toolkit, featuring a small number of important applications and tools which fit comfortably in your pocket or on your keychain. Have you got a USB Toolkit, and what have you got on it? :D

I've divided mine into two directories - Windows apps, and Linux apps. In each of them, I have some basic portable software such as Pidgin (with OTR), a TOR browser, WinRAR, a SSH client, a secure erasing tool and even CCleaner :D These tools come in handy when out and about, using public computers or just machines which don't have the basic software which you need.

Et toi?

Comments

• PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2011
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    What the fuck could be so important that you have to carry it around?
  • edited July 2011
    What the fuck could be so important that you have to carry it around?

Anything you use on a daily basis, like a TOR Browser, IM, etc. USB flash drives are so small that you can easily slip them onto your keychain and whenever you find that you need a certain program when you're out of the house, you can stick your USB into the computer and access all your stuff. Extremely handy, especially if you use public machines a lot.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    I've always thought this was great idea, but never got around to making one myself since I mostly avoid using any public computer. Seems like I recently just stumbled upon a site were someone posted some really good programs and ideas for theirs. I'll see if I can find it anywhere in my favorites.
  • edited July 2011
    What about USB switchblades? They're pretty fun, and easy to make as well. You load it with some auto-run applications and when you plug it into a computer, it will sift through it and grab passwords and other information from the computer. A lot of the time they alert the antivirus though, which is a shame :(
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    A Tor browser? I thought they were still in the working stages of that. It's already done?
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    What about USB switchblades? They're pretty fun, and easy to make as well. You load it with some auto-run applications and when you plug it into a computer, it will sift through it and grab passwords and other information from the computer. A lot of the time they alert the antivirus though, which is a shame :(

You should make a guide on how to make this dude. I would definitely try making one and using it at school, most of the computers there don't have any AV because they use Deepfreeze. I imagine I could get a lot of data if I found some computers in the lab that hadn't been rebooted in awhile.
  • edited July 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    You should make a guide on how to make this dude. I would definitely try making one and using it at school, most of the computers there don't have any AV because they use Deepfreeze. I imagine I could get a lot of data if I found some computers in the lab that hadn't been rebooted in awhile.

I'll give it a shot, although I can't remember exactly where I got the files from as I last did it ages ago. It's really skiddie though, but it can be fun.

As for the TOR browser, I've got a TOR browser bundle which is basically just a folder with a portable version of Firefox with TOR and stuff in there too. It's available on the TOR website for download, it's very handy :D
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you talking about a bootable OS on USB flash drive, or just portable apps stored on there?

I keep a netbook and spare MiFi in my car at all times. If I absolutely have to use someone else's computer, on my keychain I have a bootable 16GB Lexar Firefly flash drive running encrypted Debian v6.0.2 (32-bit) w/ Openbox, Tint2, LibreOffice, Iceweasel, Tor/Vidalia, etc. Uses about 120MB RAM out of the box (including X/Openbox). I keep my active files on Dropbox in an encrypted dm-crypt flatfile container that is sync'ed and mounted as needed.

Fuck Windows...
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited July 2011
    I carry 2 flashdrives. One has essential stuff like, CCleaner, iTunes installer, openoffice.

and the other one has my dox