How does Totse store passwords?

edited July 2011 in Help and Suggestions
As you may well know, T2 was hacked earlier today and they had all their password hashes stolen, which were apparently really easy to crack. This made me wonder about the state of our passwords and if they're stored securely.

So, how do we store the passwords?
How strongly encrypted are they?
If stolen, can they be cracked easily?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    I think it uses MD Hashes which are salted but I could be wrong. I talked ot oddballz194 yesterday and we discussed this issue. He offered a solution but I can't implement it right now because we might be moving to VB4. Plus, T2 was using VB4 and got hacked. This sort of delayed everything.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    Fuck No! I didn't know that. Man that sux!
    Rather like the guys @ T2 :(
    Did they leave a calling card?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited May 2011
    ^ This. I dont have any issues with our more docile brother. But if any totse related forum is attacked it worries me for us. Except zoklet... Then its just funny.
  • edited May 2011
    ^ This. I dont have any issues with our more docile brother. But if any totse related forum is attacked it worries me for us. Except zoklet... Then its just funny.

I wouldn't worry. It was probably just a random attack, nothing to do with the fact that they are Totse related. Just don't use the same password on more than one site and you'll be alright. If accounts are compromised then it's not the end of the world, although it would suck balls greatly.
  • edited June 2011
    Bumping - Dfg, have we gotten any further with the salting of things?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Bumping - Dfg, have we gotten any further with the salting of things?

Yep, I am using Iodized salts now. Give me 24 hours for a status report. IRL stuff raping me.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    That must be painful.

I would prefer getting raped by niggers than this.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, I wasn't aware that T2 got the shaft. FEEL sorry for them.
    Dfg wrote: »
    I would prefer getting raped by niggers than this.
    It's a real shame that my being-raped fetish only applies to humans and canines.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, T2 was hacked by a skiddie I think. He used a vulnerability in VB4 to gain access, then stole usernames and password hashes. If he was any good, he'd have planted a backdoor, removed logs and not left any noticeable trace of him ever being there. Instead, he spoke up in the forum and actually TOLD them that he hacked them :facepalm:
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited June 2011
    should we change our passwords?
  • edited June 2011
    On T2? You probably should, yes. On here, its not necessary unless you used the same password for both websites (which you should never do anyway).
  • SpecGuruSpecGuru Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote:
    So, how do we store the passwords?
    [SIZE=3]md5(md5($pass).$salt)[/SIZE]

trx100 wrote:
    How strongly encrypted are they?
    [SIZE=3]tinyurl.com/43rzqcv[/SIZE]

trx100 wrote:
    If stolen, can they be cracked easily?
    [SIZE=3]tinyurl.com/4y3wf3v
    uiu.me/1h.zip[/SIZE]

• ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited July 2011
    should we change our passwords?

change your pw's regularly
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    SpecGuru wrote: »
    [SIZE=3]md5(md5($pass).$salt)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]tinyurl.com/43rzqcv[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]tinyurl.com/4y3wf3v
    uiu.me/1h.zip[/SIZE]

Thanks for the information. I am currently looking into making things more secure here atm.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    This thread should have been locked for the safety of the community. As well as any other questions about how things work here..
  • edited July 2011
    SpecGuru, I was kinda hoping that was how it was working around here. Gotta love salting! :thumbsup:
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    everybody MSGS me their password, and i piece up anybody who violates their privacy. any1 who has not, feel free now, although it may be too late.