Getting my hair cut short, after having it long for 7 years...

I've had long hair for 7 years running (possibly more, I can't even remember now) and I think the time has come to get it all cut off. I never thought I'd say it, but I think I'm fed up with having long hair and want something different. I grew it out when I first started skateboarding because I remember seeing Bam Margera with long hair and wanted to do something similar. It's going to be fucking weird having it short again...

Has anyone else ever done this? I dunno if I'll regret it but at least hair grows back again!

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Are you going to take a bath too you dirty unwashed hippie?
  • edited July 2011
    No, I prefer showering. It's not hippie length anyway, and it's no where near that thick. It's really fine hair, and it's straight too. I have some nice locks ;) I just think it's time for a change, and I also get the feeling that people don't take me as seriously because of my hair... It's a stupid thought I know, but it seems that way. Maybe it's because long hair isn't really the norm on guys around here.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    i had dreadlocks to my ass for years, and cut them off about a year ago, it took away to adjust and just the weight of my hair was weird. i noticed alot of people where nicer when i had dreads but no one thought i was responsible. and everyone asked me for weed. not that i have short hair i dont want to go through that awkward growing my hair back stage where you look like a mangy raccoon. plus everyone does take me more serious. but i miss the random smiles at times and all the free weed.
  • edited July 2011
    A lot of people don't think I'm responsible either, and a lot of the time they give reasons which relate to my appearance and my shaggy hair. It really bugs me., but it's not the reason I'm getting it cut off. I hope I look a bit more responsible afterward though! :D
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    I had longish hair for awhile, now im fading at the front it would just look stupid.
    Also tried the skinhead look (fucked up a DIY mohawk) but I have a large scab on my head from being shot with an airgun, so I kept picking that and walking round with blood pissing down your head isnt a good look.
    Now I go for the shaggy look and trim it when the missus says too.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    You're supposed to wax it, fag.

It lets my manly pecs and abs stand out :D
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited July 2011
    my hair has never been shorter than my shoulders lol
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I had mine snipped away 2 weeks ago.

It was really dramatic. I just saw there while some nigger snipped off my hair.....
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Shave that shit off. There is nothing like not having to deal with hair. You just get out of bed and go rule the world and shit. No need to comb it or put gel or pomade. You can sell your brushes and combs and afro picks and use the money to buy a laptop or TV.

I used to shave my head all the time but it makes me look like an evil skinhead, so I keep it short. I have super greasy hair, though, so I have to wash it every day. I want to just shave that shit and get back to business.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited July 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    Shave that shit off. There is nothing like not having to deal with hair. You just get out of bed and go rule the world and shit. No need to comb it or put gel or pomade. You can sell your brushes and combs and afro picks and use the money to buy a laptop or TV.

I used to shave my head all the time but it makes me look like an evil skinhead, so I keep it short. I have super greasy hair, though, so I have to wash it every day. I want to just shave that shit and get back to business.

I havn't washed my hair in years and don't need to brush it, I just use my fingers. Try not washing your hair for a couple of weeks, it's not as bad as you'd think, let your body sort its shit out by itself.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2011
    Everytime i've tried growing my hair, I've always ended up cutting it short.

Mainly because i can't stand that middle bit when you look like you need a haircut.
  • edited July 2011
    For sure, if you feel the need, do it. I had mine long from age 19 to 27, then I had it shaved off for a cancer benefit. When I got home I immediately dressed up and went looking for some nice girl to touch my head, and let me do funky stuff to her too, but mostly to touch my head.

These types of things are held pretty regularly, always for cancer charities. You might consider signing up and collecting pledges, there are many benefits;

The haircut is free.

People who don't like longhairs will contribute out of spite.

A lot of local people will remember you as 'that nice young boy who shaved off all that hair for charity', I got a lot of drinks bought for me, and people were still bringing it up three years later. In fact I consider it the best PR move I have ever made.

Anything you collect as cash can be donated under your name, I put a jar on the bar where I worked with a picture saying "get this guy a haircut", the $150 that slowly piled up got me a little tax break.

As it grows back, you can check out how you look with different hair, wear a bandanna through the bad parts. I wore spikes for a few years after, but I eventually let it grow back.

C/O
    "yeah, that was me, are you here alone?"
  • edited July 2011
    Everytime i've tried growing my hair, I've always ended up cutting it short.

Mainly because i can't stand that middle bit when you look like you need a haircut.

That's probably the part which I'll look forward to the least. Thankfully, if I do want to grow it long again then I can always just stay at home for a few weeks until it grows back ;)
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    You're supposed to wax it, fag.

It lets my manly pecs and abs stand out :D

Lol, what the fuck? I think I read "chest hair" or some shit. Yeah, practically all styles make you look like a dick, so I just part my hair... LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    I need a haircut right now, for damn sure.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I got rid of a haircut I had for 6 years the other week before Italy. Felt so fucking weird. Literally, long hair to a buzzcut. Well, not Hippy long, but a fair length.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Aye, I had my hair long until 14 years old. Then I got annoyed because the wind kept blowing my hair and I kept having to re-adjust it and it was irritating so I had it cut short. Now I have it simple, 2 back and sides and 3 on top so I spike it and it looks good :)
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    I had long hair from around 2006 to around 2010. One day I was hanging out with my friend and he just said "I'm bored. Can I buzz your head?" So he did. Didn't regret it at all.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    I had very long hair from 13-21, when I got it cut off. I even plaited my ponytail and chopped that off. I still have it, it is at my Fathers house.

On returning home from getting my hair cut, I decided it looked shit, got a different hairstyle a week later, decided that Vikings dont suit short hair. Wore a bandana nearly everyday for the 18 months or so it took to grow back. I do have fairly blonde hair and it is in good condition, so I dont seem to be 'looked down upon' as others with long hair.

I cannot envisage having it all cut off again, absolutly no reason.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    I always regret getting a hair cut for some reason. There's just something about that fresh new hair cut look that always makes me look retarded.

I've been growing my hair out for a little over a year now and I don't plan on cutting it anytime soon. I like it. It looks different and I feel like people are a lot more comfortable around a laid back long haired dude.
  • edited July 2011
  • edited July 2011
    Just got back from the barbers - I like it! It's weird as hell though, my head feels very light and I keep trying to flick my hair away despite it not even being there. I just bought some styling wax for it as well, so hopefully this all goes well. Thanks for the support! :)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Does it look like this?

flatop.png
  • edited July 2011
    Nah, not that short. It's about 2-3 inches long now, which is a huge difference from usual which is down to my shoulders, lol.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Just got back from the barbers - I like it! It's weird as hell though, my head feels very light and I keep trying to flick my hair away despite it not even being there. I just bought some styling wax for it as well, so hopefully this all goes well. Thanks for the support! :)

I had the same problem with the hair flicking when I buzzed mine.

We can has before and after pictures?
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh I think I'm doing this too soon. It's hard getting a good job with long hair and a beard. I don't look dirty or anything, just a little scruffy and I pull it off well. Just not in a professional environment :angry:
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2011
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2011