Change Your Cars Oil [Published]

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
OilChange.jpg

Doing oil changes yourself is both fun and cost-saving. Because every car is different, I'll detail how to change your car's oil with generic names and locations, but you'll have to find the specific parts yourself.

You need:
  • Ratchet wrench
  • Oil catcher
  • Funnel
  • New oil
  • New oil filter
  • Jack and jack stands

Before you start:
  • Make sure your car hasn't been running for a couple hours. Hot oil can burn you.
  • Make sure your oil and oil filter are acceptable for your car.
  • Check how much oil is needed in your car.
  • Make sure the area around you is clear and safe.

The oil change:
  1. Jack up the car, enough so that you can look underneth
  2. Place jack stands to support the car. Do not go under a car supported only by the jack.
  3. Find the oil pan under the car (should be under the engine) and place the oil catcher underneath it.
  4. Remove the plug in the oil pan and allow the oil to drain into the oil catcher.
  5. Replace plug when all the oil has drained out.
  6. Locate your oil filter. Some are located underneath, while others can be reached from above (under the hood).
  7. Remove the oil filter.
  8. Rub some oil on the new oil filter's rubber ring.
  9. Fill the new oil filter to about 2/3 full.
  10. Place the new oil filter in and screw it into place.
  11. Unscrew the oil cap (located under the hood) and place the funnel into it. Pour the oil in, but not all at once. Check your dipstick here and there to mark your progress. When the oil has reached a level between the min and max lines, that's enough.
  12. Put your oil cap back on, lower your car, clean up, and you're good to go!

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    I changed it for the first time a month ago (with my daddy's help :p). It's one of those things that you do once and remember forever. I also love watching the oil drain out.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    When my brother is changing the oil on his car, he never even bothers to jack it up, he just puts two wheels on the curb and two on the street and puts his handbrake on. Easy, quick and safe.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I changed it for the first time a month ago (with my daddy's help :p). It's one of those things that you do once and remember forever. I also love watching the oil drain out.

facepalm.jpg

FUCK.
    edited September 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    When my brother is changing the oil on his car, he never even bothers to jack it up, he just puts two wheels on the curb and two on the street and puts his handbrake on. Easy, quick and safe.

That's a great idea. Does he drive up from the curb ramp? That's the only way I can think of doing it, but it doesn't work for me cause my house is in the middle of the street and there are trees next to the sidewalk.
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    FUCK.

:confused: Some kind of mechanic's joke in there?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    Does he drive up from the curb ramp?

Yeah, there's a curb ramp at the garage, and the parking space next to it is usually empty, so it's really easy.
    edited September 2010
    Ah, my garage exits into the alley, so no curb there. Would be best if I had my own workshop with one of those car lifts :D
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited September 2010
    Amie wrote: »

I don't either. I just park my car on the hill in my driveway at an angle with the drain plug facing downhill, then put my car in gear and put the handbrake on.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    beans! my dad had a go after reading this, turned out well.
  • edited September 2010
    beans! my dad had a go after reading this, turned out well.

Your dad's a totsean? Awesome :D

As soon as I get a car, I'll be coming straight back to this guide.
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Your dad's a totsean? Awesome :D

no he is nosey and was reading over my shoulder...
  • edited September 2010
    So he's a pedophile then? Standing so close behind you... ;)
    edited September 2010
    no im too old to be subject to a Ped.
  • edited September 2010
    Back on track now, and thinking about it - parking the wheels on the sidewalk would actually be a great idea. Much safer and more reliable than a jack, plus the sidewalk is really high near my house.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    Awesome guide. Way too many people don't know how to do this and it really helps save a lot of money if you DIY.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2010
    OilChange.jpg

9. Fill the new oil filter to about 2/3 full.

Just like to say, thank you for posting this information, but i am a little confused with step number 9.

Basing my thoughts on the picture, i have no experience in cars and i don't look at what's under my car, how would you go about filling a car with oil? it seems that the nozzle is upside down, so wouldn't you need to exert pressure greater than 1ATM to fill the new oil up?
    edited September 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Just like to say, thank you for posting this information, but i am a little confused with step number 9.

Basing my thoughts on the picture, i have no experience in cars and i don't look at what's under my car, how would you go about filling a car with oil? it seems that the nozzle is upside down, so wouldn't you need to exert pressure greater than 1ATM to fill the new oil up?

Step 9 is mainly to make sure there is oil flowing as soon as the car starts up. Otherwise the oil from the pan may take its time to reach the engine and whatnot, and insufficient lubrication can cause damage (that's what she said :o).

The bottom of the car is where you drain out the old oil from. You will be able to access the oil cap by popping the hood and fill the oil from there. I'll make a note of it in my guide.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Gearheads
    CMS Status:
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited July 2011
    Related question: does the brand of oil have any bearing whatsoever?

I see adverts like this one
    on tv for "Castrol Magnetec" and similar products that claim their expensive brand name oil gives you "5x more protection" and will make you engine live longer etc etc, is there any practical proof of this? Isn't oil oil?
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    How very nice how to. I have done and do it when I have to but I prefer to have someone else do it because I really dont car for it. And I never jack the car up. I just get something under it to catch the oil and reach under and do it all. And then I have no added work to do. I dont do much under the car. I am not mechanically illiterate. i know my fair share about the car and how it works but mainly the engine.
    edited July 2011
    If you're not racing, the brand of oil doesn't really make a big difference. As long as it's not something from the back of the shelf, it'll do fine.