Star Wars the Old Republic is now available for pre-order.

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have been waiting over for over two years for this game to launch. I admint I am a bit if a vidiot and have played video games since my parents bought me a PONG in '72.

In all the years I have played games since then I do not ever recall anticipating a games release for as long as I have this one. I was an avid fan of Star Wars Galaxies until Sony Online Entertainment punked it out and dumbed it down for the 12 year old kids who's mommies wrote letters complaining that it was to complex for their little johnny to play.

From everything I have read about this game and all the in game footage I have viewed the game play itself looks fantastic. But I still can not determine if the crafting and economy will be as wonderfully complex as it was in SWG. The beauty of SWG's economy was that it was entirely player driven. They achieved that with two major difference from most MMORPG (Many Men Online Role Playing Girls).

The 1st difference was that the player crafted items were better than any drops or quest rewards. That meant that if you wanted the good shit you had to pay a player. The 2nd thing was that if I used better quality mats and tools to make my shit my shit would turn out better than the same shit you made with crappy mats and crappy tools. So every DL-44 heavy blaster pistol made by a Weapons Smith player did not do the same damage or have the same durability.

When you add those two factors with the ability for players to build entire cities complete with shuttle connections to non player cities, player stores/vendors, and even canteens the economy was the most wide open sandbox environment I have ever taken part in.

From what I have read SWTOR will have the player built cities along with the fully 3 dimensional PvE and PvP space combat in fully customizable ships (along with leveling your pilot skills separate from you class skills). But I still have not found any real info on the crafting and economic models that Lucas Studios and Bioware decided to go with.

Anyhow I will be pre-ordering this before launch and if I see you in space over Dantooine just pray you are not flying for the Republic.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

Comments

• jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited July 2011
    I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    Im very excited for this as well. I could never get into world of warcraft, I just didnt like the setting. I have always been a sci fi fan and the star wars universe has been my favorite since I was a child. I tried out Galaxies a little too late, after they had already done the over haul. Ive heard great things about it in its hay day when it first started. I can only hope this one can match that playing experience
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I am excited about this but after play pre CU and pre NGE SWG I have some reservation. You know, like what if it does not live up to it's predecessor or my expectations. I recall waiting for Hellgate London for nearly as long as SWTOR and being totally disappointed at all aspects of that title from day one.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    I really hope that doesnt happen. With the amount of time put into this game, and the release pushbacks, I sure hope this one is a fucking knock out. If its all that it is hyped up for, it really could be the first wow killer
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Something has to come along sooner or later to dethrone WoW, let's hope this is it eh?