Stir fry!

MegaKushMegaKush Regular
edited August 2011 in Life
Is the best way of cooking things, ever.

(to anyone not familiar with the term, its when you heat a pan over medium heat, oil, and cook while constantly stirring and tilting the pan)

My favorite is bell peppers, garlic, and red onion. cooked in sesame or coconut oil. sooo good in an omlette!

What do yall like to stir fry?

Comments

• CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    I disagree. Deep frying is the best. I deep fried some coca cola the other day and it tasted good as fuck
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2011
    I do not understand the concept of coca cola deep frying. Like wtf, how does it come out, what does it taste like?
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2011
    i'd imagine you would have to freeze the coke it into cubes/bars first
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    You made a thread about stir frying without once mentioning a wok? :facepalm:
    edited July 2011
    ^I am a nooooob with cooking

i just started making food from fresh ingredients a year ago, due to health concerns

educate me
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    978wok.jpg

A wok is a deep, round bottomed cooking vessel essential for any quality stir-fry. Functionally, it provides a lot of room for the stir-frying to occur and allows for tossing without mess. The round bottom creates a concentrated hot area. Used over an open flame (as opposed to an electric stove) will allow the wok to impart a quality called wok hei to the food which gives it a very robust flavour.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2011
    The chink was the only one who posted any decent information in this thread. Everything else was fucking retarded. Usually you want to use high heat or medium high heat, not medium heat. You cook everything fast with the concentrated heat on the flat or rounded bottom area of the wok (ya, mayberry, not all woks are round-bottomed). You need to have all your shit ready to go, and you do it in a specific order. Very briefly this is what you do:

1. heat the wok to high heat.
    2. add oil.
    3. add garlic and/or ginger.
    4. cook meat. then remove it.
    5. add densest vegetables cause they take longer to cook.
    6. add less dense vegetables.
    7. re add meat.
    8. add sauce
    9. remove from heat and plate.

http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blstirfrytips.htm
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Stir_frying

Selecting a wok: http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/getting-the-most-from-your-wok/

Obviously this shit can get complicated. The thickness of the wok, the metal used, the types of vegetables and whether or not they're still wet from being rinsed, the size of the pieces of meat, the type of sauce, and the smoke point of the oil used all play a factor in what you're going to do.

Get a cookbook or google this shit if you want to do it right. Otherwise you'll fuck everything up.
    edited July 2011
    Lol its not that complicated.

Each person has their own way of doing it, who are you to say that there is a set way?
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    You can deep fry coca cola. You can deep fry anything. Just put oil, heat that motherfucker up and put some coke in it. Chill coke and drink like a boss. Deep fried Snickers are tasty, too.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    The typical curved-bottom wok is not really suited for common household stove. The common household stove has a much smaller flame, so it needs flat-bottomed wok for more even heat distribution.I find flat-bottomed wok as not as easy to use, as it's harder to toss stuff in it.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    Deep fried Ice cubes are great too. Just fill a sautee pan up with oil and heat on high until smoking and toss in a handful of ice cubes. Enjoy!
    edited July 2011
    Go back to zoklet noobs
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    deep fry my balls then eat those, faggots. lol

but really using a wok to cook is fucking awesome. You can mix just about any kind of vegetable

with strips of beef or chicken. fucking winning!
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2011
    pork and potatoes on a wok.
  • edited August 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    You made a thread about stir frying without once mentioning a wok? :facepalm:

CHING CHONG LING LONG

-_-

Ah sooooo