How do i check if someone is stealing my internet?

MegaKushMegaKush Regular
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Pages have been loading alot slower than usual today. I tried moving the router and my computer and it did nothing. I know people can steal password protected internet pretty easily. Is there anyway to check if someone is doing this, or prevent it?

Comments

• GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2011
    Check your modem and it should have a list of all of the different things which have used it and maybe a log.

To prevent it you can use mac address white listing and white list only the devices you want which will prevent other devices from connecting.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    Greenbull wrote: »
    Check your modem and it should have a list of all of the different things which have used it and maybe a log.

To prevent it you can use mac address white listing and white list only the devices you want which will prevent other devices from connecting.

This. I have unencrypted wireless for speed, but Thanks to this post, I discovered someone piggybacking off my network.

OP: just check your routers history for any PCs that you don't recognize, and you'll be able to determine whether someone is stealing your WiFi, or if its just an issue with your service provider.
  • edited July 2011
    Use WPA2 man, it's the only way forward. WEP can be cracked in minutes, unencrypted is just ASKING for trouble.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited July 2011
    I had this problem, I use military sounding router names to keep people away and use a password that takes 700,000 years of brute force on a desktop pc to crack.

Names like, MissionCritical, ConnectCommand, and LogisticsMultichannel
  • edited July 2011
    Before booting them off the network, why not poke around and see what they're up to? Do a man in the middle attack on them, get some credentials :) Try and break into their machine, snoop around a bit. Then when you get everything you need, kick them off the network.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    Wireshark for teh win
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    ...I have unencrypted wireless for speed...

LOLZ. Is your router powered by a hamster wheel? I doubt WPA2 will impact your 768Kb DSL. Have fun in jail when a pedo uses your inet for CP.