California Approves Self-Destructive DREAM ACT

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Further eroding their state into the mindless, broke, and anarchy state in which it was founded.
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law on Monday a bill allowing illegal immigrants to receive privately funded scholarships to attend the state's public colleges and universities.

The bill, dubbed the California Dream Act, passed the state Legislature earlier this month and aims at helping illegal immigrants who earned a diploma after attending at least three years of high school in the state.

Enactment of the California measure came three days after opponents of a similar law in Maryland collected enough signatures to force a state referendum seeking its repeal.

"At the end of the day, if we're going to continue as a powerful, equal-opportunity society, we're going to have to invest in our people," Brown, a Democrat, said at the signing ceremony in the library of a Los Angeles community college.

The California law is named after national legislation in Congress to give young, undocumented immigrants who have lived in the United States for at least five years a pathway to citizenship through college or military service.

The federal bill failed to win passage in December 2010, and its chances have dimmed since a newly elected Republican majority took control of the House of Representatives.

Critics say the California Dream Act gives illegal immigrants a false promise because their status will not change after graduating from college and they will remain unable to find legal employment. Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, vetoed an earlier version of the bill last year.

But Julian Rivera, 20, a student at the University of California at Berkeley who entered the United States illegally with his parents at age 12 from Mexico, said the measure could make it easier those like him to afford to stay in school.

"It doesn't matter where you come from, it doesn't matter what your background is, it just matters that you have passion for something and you want to do it," he said. "This is a country that has given us that freedom."

OPPOSING "THE DREAM"

Patrick McDonough, a Republican member of the Maryland House of Delegates who helped lead the petition drive for the repeal initiative there, said U.S. citizens who are struggling to pay for college should not have to compete with illegal immigrants for scarce financial resources.

"People would say, 'Why should we, when we're having tough economic times ourselves, pay for someone who is here illegally?'" he said.

The new California law is fairly limited in scope, making undocumented students who qualify eligible for private scholarships. A separate bill under consideration in the legislature would allow illegal immigrants to seek publicly funded scholarships as well.

State law already allows illegal immigrants who qualify for admission to a four-year state university to pay in-state tuition rather than the more expensive out-of-state tuition rate. But four-year institutions are still beyond reach for many undocumented students without financial aid.

Twelve other states also grant in-state tuition eligibility to illegal immigrants based on attendance and graduation from a state high school, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, South Carolina and Indiana have laws barring illegal immigrants from in-state tuition benefits.

Passage of legislation in California and Maryland to extend private scholarships to illegal immigrants comes as a number of states, led by Arizona, have taken steps to crack down on the undocumented.

"You're going to see the red states go more the Arizona approach and blue states the California Dream Act approach," said John Skrentny, director of the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies at University of California, San Diego.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/california-dream-act-approved-illegal-immigrants-013617230.html

Comments

• ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    How the fuck do you think I feel? I have to live in this shithole called California. We pay the highest (or almost highest) taxes in the nation, and get the shittiest shit in return.

Now that lunatic Brown has signed this law WITHOUT a vote of the people, California is shopping for a 5 BILLION dollar bridge loan to get us through 1-2 MONTHS. Complete. Fucking. Lunacy.

If I could sell my house and get out of here, I would. My wife refuses to leave because all of our family is here. If I gave her an ultimatum should would probably choose divorce. That's how fucking hard headed she is. Although we live in a nice area, the surrounding areas are shitholes. That's how it is here - little pockets of "good" amongst the shit. I think it's funny how a city like Mission Viejo can be voted the safest city in the United States (or in the top 3) a few years in a row, when it is only 35 miles away from COMPTON. It's all an illusion. When the shit hits the fan, all of the pockets of good will be immediatley swallowed up by the niggers and beaners.

I recently purchased 5 acres in a secluded area in Oregon. That's going to be the place we run to when the shit hits the fan (if we're lucky enough to escape).
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2011
    Who's John Galt?
    LOL Johnny get yer guns.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    Who's picking your food in california?
  • edited July 2011
    WAIT A SECOND - ARE YOU SAYING THE USA ISNT THE BEST NATION ON EARTH?
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    wow thats some fucking bullshit. im not liking where we are headed as a nation.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    Who's picking your food in california?

They don't grow food here anymore because they have to save some "endangered" fish or frog or whateverthefuck animal they decide needs to be "saved". Every piece of fruit I see comes from China, Mexico, or South America.