What would happen if my PI leaked?

Gary OakGary Oak Regular
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I'm pretty curious. How would it possibly affect me negatively?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Depends on what PI you're talking about really, and how motivated someone is to use it to fuck you over. If everything was leaked, including your home address, telephone number, full name, etc etc etc. Then there's a huge number of things which could happen. As well as the regular annoyance of sending you 1000 free cardboard boxes through the mail or Pizza pranks, you could also fall victim to other, more serious attacks unless you keep your guard up. Say someone has your email address and knows a lot about you, you could be the target of some web-related attack such as phishing or hacking.

Telephone number is another fun one, as you can be called up at all times of the day, nonstop, by people from all over the world. You could be publicly humiliated by people calling up your neighbors and either pretending it's you, or spreading stories about you being a child-molester, etc etc. Literally ANYTHING you can think of. Want a SWAT team to bust through your windows thanks to a tip-off about the bomb factory in your basement? I didn't think so either.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2011
    For the love of god, don't post phone numbers. Especially on facebook.

I've taken to sending 50 texts at once through clamtxt (Look it up, it's free) to anyone who posts their number publicly.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited July 2011
    Pretty much what the above posters outlined.
    However, those are largely in the event you piss someone off.
    I haven't openly posted mine, but there are those here who've found it with little problem.
    Have I had any problem with it?
    No.
    I've noticed in many cases, it's less a matter of what information is out there and more how you carry yourself.
    Troll the shit out of everyone all the time? You're fucked.
    Try to be helpful, funny, and contribute? You might just be ok.
  • edited July 2011
    If you're a staff member of a forum or something, you're more likely to be targeted in the event that the website is raided by skiddies with too much time on their hands. As a Global Mod here, I like to keep as much of a low profile as possible. In the event that we're targeted by pissed off /b/tards or something, I'd like to be very hard-to-dox. This isn't solely for my own personal purposes but it also improves the site's security a little by removing a potential foothole from the attacker's point of view. If they can't get into my personal life and mess things up, they can't really get at the site either.

I have no accounts on other websites either, which helps. Especially Facebook :)
  • edited July 2011
    To cut a long story short, there's plenty of rape to be had if someone's PI was leaked and you have someone dedicated attempting to fuck you over with it.